Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandelions

• 17-04-2014 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I've two little 'flower beds' at the front of my house, which are covered in pebbles.

There are MASSIVE dandelions growing there.

Would pouring bleach (toilet cleaner) on them kill them?

There are no flowers there apart from the beautiful dandelions.

I'm kinda skint, so can't afford 10 euros on a weed killer.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not just pull them by hand? You might need something to help ease them up, but pouring toilet cleaner on them is a bit excessive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

looksee wrote: »
    Why not just pull them by hand? You might need something to help ease them up, but pouring toilet cleaner on them is a bit excessive!

Because I am not very strong lol. I'll go out and try. But, I have a jar of olives in my fridge for the past few weeks, which I have not been able to open. Don't expect miracles.

Haha. Went out and pulled out one of the small ones. Was getting nowhere with the big ones. There were three big lads on a wall across the road so I asked them to help me, and they pulled out all the big ones lol. Very proud of themselves they were! Restored my faith in humanity!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Use an ordinary kitchen knife to dig them out...stick the knife down the side of the plant and waggle it around to loosen the roots up...then pull the weed out.

The problem with dandelions is if you leave a section of root in the ground they can come back and the roots are usually quite long.

About a three inch long tubur or root came out with the big ones. Glad to have the unsightly things gone, if even temporarily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The jar of olives - turn upside down and bang on the counter-top, not particularly hard, just tap it a few times.

looksee wrote: »
    The jar of olives - turn upside down and bang on the counter-top, not particularly hard, just tap it a few times.

I'll try that - it's the big jar of olives though - my hand can barely get around the top of the lid.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I have heard tht dandelion roots can be roasted to make a passable imitation of coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

chopper6 wrote: »
    I have heard tht dandelion roots can be roasted to make a passable imitation of coffee!

Be careful though, they are not called 'piss in the bed' for nuttin!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Put a tea towel around the lid helps open it..make wine from the dandelions..eat the leaves..make coffee from the roots..keep them..just because they are so pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I love dandelions as I have a bearded dragon, and they work like a sedative/hash on him.

He's known to eat up to five in one go

They are sitting in my wheelie bin now. If they wish to transform into some mind altering drug in there, then I wish my bin-men a happy trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Do not use bleach in the garden, it is irresponsible and very dangerous, see pack info for reasons why!

If you want to use a safe and easier method of killing dandelions, simply sprinkle with salt or alternatively pour on neat vinegar.

Do not use bleach in the garden, it is irresponsible and very dangerous, see pack info for reasons why!

If you want to use a safe and easier method of killing dandelions, simply sprinkle with salt or alternatively pour on neat vinegar.

Or call nearby strong young fellas from across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

...Canaries love them too, Oh and if you have kids, convince them that they are precious and expensive and watch them disappear...

Advertisement