Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Passport

• 17-04-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi guys i am planning to travel over to the uk for a few days and would love to take my two dogs will i need a pet passport ?? has anyone been over lately Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes you need a pet passport for your dogs to travel to the UK. They arent too strict on checking them, but, if they do check and you dont have them, your dogs can be taken off you so i wouldnt risk it. It can take a couple of weeks to sort it and they need the Rabies jab 21 days before travel so id sort it asap if you are travelling soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭marshyc

Thanks i think i will get it done just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

dont they need to be microchipped too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aonb wrote: »
    dont they need to be microchipped too?

Yes, with the details on the passport.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Errr... They certainly don't check if you drive up North.

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »

No, they don't, but legally they can, if you got pulled over for some reason and they wanted to be difficult, they could ask for it.

Doesn't apply coming in to the north. It's uk to Republic and vice versa. Uk to north isn't included.

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, they don't, but legally they can, if you got pulled over for some reason and they wanted to be difficult, they could ask for it.

Suuuree.

No harm in getting it done either, but realistically animals cross that border every day with no checks and no passports. Just like humans.

andreac wrote: »
    Doesn't apply coming in to the north. It's uk to Republic and vice versa. Uk to north isn't included.

UK includes NI.

Suuuree.

No harm in getting it done either, but realistically animals cross that border every day with no checks and no passports. Just like humans.

No need for the attitude, just pointing out the legal position. Realistically, animals go across the Irish Sea every day without checks as well, however, if you are stopped and checked, your dog or cat can be impounded and quarantined, and you can be prosecuted. As the law states passports are needed between UK and Eire, then yes, legally you do need it, whether its checked or not is another matter.

The implementation of the passport rules make no sense, as both the islands of Ireland and GB are rabies free. NI Dept of Ag have said passports are needed between Eire and NI. Ridiculously though, they also state that if you come from NI and transit through Eire onto a ferry and over to GB, you don't need one.

• Advertisement

UK includes NI.

I think what she means is if travelling from GB into NI its not checked, as you point out, NI is part of the UK.

No need for the attitude, just pointing out the legal position. Realistically, animals go across the Irish Sea every day without checks as well, however, if you are stopped and checked, your dog or cat can be impounded and quarantined, and you can be prosecuted. As the law states passports are needed between UK and Eire, then yes, legally you do need it, whether its checked or not is another matter.

The implementation of the passport rules make no sense, as both the islands of Ireland and GB are rabies free. NI Dept of Ag have said passports are needed between Eire and NI. Ridiculously though, they also state that if you come from NI and transit through Eire onto a ferry and over to GB, you don't need one.

You're reading into it. No attitude here. Just being realistic.

You're reading into it. No attitude here. Just being realistic.

Suuuree.

hmmm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Milanpan!c, some of your replies are most certainly coming across as smart-alecky and argumentative.
    If that's not what you intend, please consider how what you write can be interpreted by the reader, and re-phrase if need be.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Yes I meant going from GB into NI. Thanks muddy paws.

hmmm

I want saying that like "sure whatever," but like suuuuuure that's technically true, but the chances of being stopped when going up North are as close to zero as to make no difference, so if you want to be technically accurate, yes, but in reality, many people do it daily and the cost of the passport/chip might make you so a cost benefit analysis and in the end, take a chance.

Jumping to the assumption that I was saying the post wasn't true or whatever is on you.

Remember I also said it was a good thing to have done. And of course both of my pets are chipped and have passports.

But nah. Let's let this thread devolve into a pissing match. That'll be helpful.

I want saying that like "sure whatever," but like suuuuuure that's technically true, but the chances of being stopped when going up North are as close to zero as to make no difference, so if you want to be technically accurate, yes, but in reality, many people do it daily and the cost of the passport/chip might make you so a cost benefit analysis and in the end, take a chance.

Jumping to the assumption that I was saying the post wasn't true or whatever is on you.

Remember I also said it was a good thing to have done. And of course both of my pets are chipped and have passports.

But nah. Let's let this thread devolve into a pissing match. That'll be helpful.

I didn't jump to any assumption and I didn't say that you said the post wasn't true. You are absolutely right that the chances of being checked are virtually nil. However, if someone is stopped and has their animal impounded based on the say so of someone on a forum?

Purely on a cost analysis, getting a passport is much, much cheaper than having a dog impounded and quarantined, the cost of which would have to be covered by the animal's owner.

Again, the ridiculous thing is that from January 2015, the law is changing again, and passports won't be needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

MilanPan!c, I have asked you already to stop being argumentative, and as you have been unable to heed that as reflected in posts such as the above quoted, as per my pm I must ask that you do not post in this thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

Muddypaws, You stated at the end of the post that in January 2015 the laws are changing again. What is going to change?

dogluver wrote: »
    Muddypaws, You stated at the end of the post that in January 2015 the laws are changing again. What is going to change?

My apologies, on checking, I thought that it was a done deal, but apparently it still hasn't gone through, but an exemption is due to be brought in between rabies free countries, such as Eire and the UK on 1st January 2015.

• Advertisement
Advertisement