Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta Insurance Anyone have a policy with them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

They don't need to confirm, they have no choice whether they are broke or not. Of course as pointed out even though you are still insured any potential claims will go through the insurance fund which also covers lost premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vincent nolan

was there any thing said about our insurance on our vans and cars is the goverment doing anything 75000 people are caught with this thats alot of money gone to Malta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

immersive wrote: »
    They don't need to confirm, they have no choice whether they are broke or not. Of course as pointed out even though you are still insured any potential claims will go through the insurance fund which also covers lost premiums.

It doesn't cover lost premiums. Not really sure where you are getting this idea from.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

was there any thing said about our insurance on our vans and cars is the goverment doing anything 75000 people are caught with this thats alot of money gone to Malta

They've declared bankruptcy - obviously not enough money to pay what they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

Any progress with Close Premium Finance? I tried contacting them via telephone and could not get through. I sent them an email and cancelled my direct debit. I can't afford nor am I going to pay two policies at one time. They took a risk with Setanta insurance as well

• Advertisement

Any progress with Close Premium Finance? I tried contacting them via telephone and could not get through. I sent them an email and cancelled my direct debit. I can't afford nor am I going to pay two policies at one time. They took a risk with Setanta insurance as well

No. They took a risk with you. And it's your credit rating that will be affected by your non payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I understand your frustration but that was a personal loan and all that goes with it

oldyouth wrote: »
    I understand your frustration but that was a personal loan and all that goes with it

I'll take my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I deal with them regularly and, personally, I wouldn't take them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Close Premium Finance are not members of the ICB so can do nothing to your credit rating.

And I don't know did they pay Setanta up front so they maybe be paying them month by month too and so will not be paying there for the next few months anyway.

Now I feel like an idiot, pulled out all my details there about the loan, turns out the last payment was my last payment for the loan so now they've received the full amount anyway and the direct debit was over. At least I can wash my hands with them for good now

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicki6000

The insurance brokers association had meetings with the finance companies to see of anything could be done. Maybe if you ring them you may be able to sort something.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

My husband's in the same boat.
    His only vehicle, needed for tools & materials (and to get anywhere), was insured with Setanta in February 5th, expiring in November. It was paid up front with Visa Debit card last November, and was simply transferred in February from the previous wrecked jeep to the new 2nd-hand one. (I don't know if that counts as new business).

First we knew of any Setanta troubles was letter from broker arriving 3 days ago (Tuesday afternoon) (No letter earlier this year, for instance).
    The letter said they'd arranged alternative insurance 'in the short term'. We didn't know just how short, till I found from this thread that it's probably only till today. (We have no way of knowing - continuous busy tone from broker).
    They also asked him to contact them (by email to be quickest), to sort payment etc for the temporary cover. And to tell them 'as soon as possible' if he didn't want it :(.

We're now both grounded; my car insurance wasn't with Setanta, but it expired on Monday, and I can't get through to pay on the phone. I'd left it as long as possible, as I was hoping to find time to shop around & see if the broker could match it, as they'd suggested. While looking out the info needed, I remembered the insurance needs an NCT certificate. (Started trying to book before it expired in February,but the earliest I could get was in June.....).
    Got on the phone to explain the delay, but couldn't get through (found out why the next day!). Rang NCT for any cancellations (again!), & this time was offered one I can get to, and in only 2 weeks or so.
    But still can't contact the broker to find out if there's a way round it meanwhile. Or find out if my husband's insured or not :(.

I sent the broker emails pronto, for each of us; no reply/acknowledgement as yet.

I suppose it's Emergency Stations at our broker's, and I don't know if they're currently open for business in person, and haven't got the several hours it would take to find out by bus (nothing on their website that wasn't always there).

I know people in towns/cities are just as stymied, but at least they can usually reach a food shop etc without driving! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 agrev

I called setanta, was told I was out if luck call my broker, I called Arran my broker and was told that I would still have to keep paying my direct debit. I told them that I was switching to aa and needed proof of no claims, they had the cheek to tell me that I would have to pay my policy in full before they would release my direct debit. When I asked for a manager she said I can email them at info at arran.com. is this legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmarkopl

agrev wrote: »
    I called setanta, was told I was out if luck call my broker, I called Arran my broker and was told that I would still have to keep paying my direct debit. I told them that I was switching to aa and needed proof of no claims, they had the cheek to tell me that I would have to pay my policy in full before they would release my direct debit. When I asked for a manager she said I can email them at info at arran.com. is this legal?

Exactly same answer I got , been even by solicitor and he did try to resolve problem ,he send them angry letter , no luck , they stand they ground !
    I could go fodder ,but would lose more money and and time ,also my job was affected by that mess .
    I had no choice and I made agreement with them, I brought another policy witch was better then I wanted to get by FBD.
    The remaining payment for Setanta I will pay D/D in next 5 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Arundel

Hi all,
    My broker is saying they aren't in any way liable, despite issuing a letter in January along with the policy about why the selected setanta for me.

I paid by credit card to my broker and have a receipt from my broker. They are the ones that took my money and they are the ones responsible if the sale of goods and services act still means anything.

I'll be pushing my bank to issue a charge back. Although the bank are not making it easy; looking for letters from setanta to confirm they are in liquidation, letters from broker to confirm they are not arranging new cover or refunding premium on a pro rata basis etc..

But no way am I paying for a new policy.

I agree with you that the broker is liable and they should be taking the hit.
    Information concerning Setanta are in liquidation can be submitted from a newspaper article or printing out information from their online site to send to the bank.

You know what, ?I reckon that if anyone on here complaining was offered Allianz for €800 or Setanta for €500, they would have gone for Setanta every time............and probably did! People only bitch about Ryanair when their flights get cancelled.......not when it cost them 20 quid to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

"You know what, ?I reckon that if anyone on here complaining was offered Allianz for €800 or Setanta for €500, they would have gone for Setanta every time............and probably did! People only bitch about Ryanair when their flights get cancelled.......not when it cost them 20 quid to get there!" peteb2

Hopefully someday you get robbed of many hundreds of euro because this is exactly whats happened to thousands of unlucky people, they were ripped off through no fault of their own.

In my own case i was steered into Setanta by a broker i have be doing business with for years. Not being an expert in the field of insurance i stupidly soughb the best quote i could get from a trusted [ i believed},source.

By your logic nobody should seek out alternative cheaper quotes for insurance, just pony up to the big players in the field, exactly like the old days. Think i'll be heading off to the Aer Lingus site now to book myself their dearest seat available to the UK.

Your contribution was most helpfull.

I'm not say that and you are missing my point. Whilst I am empathic about the situation and to those that have lost their premiums, if people were offered a cheap quotation with a health warning versus a more established insurer like Allianz, the majority of people wouldnt have paid a higher price just for a more established company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

peteb2 wrote: »
    I'm not say that and you are missing my point. Whilst I am empathic about the situation and to those that have lost their premiums, if people were offered a cheap quotation with a health warning versus a more established insurer like Allianz, the majority of people wouldnt have paid a higher price just for a more established company.

Have you any connection to Allianz? You've mentioned them specifically twice.

Nope. No connection. Have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope. No connection. Have you?

None.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

if people were offered a cheap quotation with a health warning versus a more established insurer like Allianz, the majority of people wouldnt have paid a higher price just for a more established company.

What health warning?

Seems a lot of people didn't get any (including my husband, who paid upfront and had 7 months to go).
    And despite some views of brokers here , I'm not convinced ours necessarily got any warning either.

And who's to say Setanta was 'cheap'? (Not many struggling small businesses, I'd say).
    I think 'reasonable' is a better description, and it's the big boys that are expensive (exploiting drivers' lack of time for shopping around, and perhaps some inertia/ less conscientious brokers).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mercfisher

Its been in the public domain that Setanta were ceasing trading according to their statement on 24th Jan 2014, this was reported by Fiona Reddan in the Irish Times on 27th of January in an article titled, "Setanta Insurance closes to new business" this information was not kept secret from the Irish Brokers ! IF YOU GOT INSURANCE FROM A BROKER AFTER 24th Jan you have legal recourse, unfortunately if you bought on line directly i dont think you can do much, you could annoy the liquidator and ask for a reckless trading case being brought and he is obliged to "look into it" but well you know how it works here in good old crooked land

mercfisher wrote: »
    Its been in the public domain that Setanta were ceasing trading according to their statement on 24th Jan 2014, this was reported by Fiona Reddan in the Irish Times on 27th of January in an article titled, "Setanta Insurance closes to new business" this information was not kept secret from the Irish Brokers ! IF YOU GOT INSURANCE FROM A BROKER AFTER 24th Jan you have legal recourse, unfortunately if you bought on line directly i dont think you can do much, you could annoy the liquidator and ask for a reckless trading case being brought and he is obliged to "look into it" but well you know how it works here in good old crooked land

How do you figure you have legal recourse? Its quite clear they were running off their book from that date. Policy holders have to obtain renewal terms 21 days in advance. So by that time poeple due in february had already received and renewed policies.

mercfisher wrote: »

The liquidator is in Malta not here.

• Advertisement

How do you figure you have legal recourse? Its quite clear they were running off their book from that date. Policy holders have to obtain renewal terms 21 days in advance. So by that time poeple due in february had already received and renewed policies.

21 days? My husbands policy was due for renewal of 10th March. He received his renewal terms from his broker 3 days before that. Had to do a 120 mile round trip to get the paperwork in time.

Advertisement