Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation not registered with PRTB, Should i leave?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just a bit of advice, coming into the last month of my lease term in shared student accommodation. I'm a bit tight on money and would be quite late with the rent for this month, if i had to pay and asked my landlord could I leave the deposit rather than paying the last months rent which he refused. I've known for awhile it's not registered with PRTB, I was wondering do you think it would be possible to leave the last month and tell him to take the deposit instead. I'm also concerned that while I will have left the room in the same condition as when I moved in, there'd be some bullsh1t excuse and I wouldn't get my deposit back and be without protection as he's not registered with the PRTB.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

PRTB is there to protect you as well as the landlord. You have more protection than he does at the moment in this regard, as he's not registered. He's supposed to be by law.

That said, the deposit *is* there for damages etc, or to cover losses. But there's little he can do if you go down the route you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I would definitely use the deposit as the last months rent but only if you are planning to leave the house in perfect condition

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

report him to prtb. and i agree with the previous post. i know it is not strictly legal but getting a deposit back is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks stop encouraging the use of the deposit as last months rent. It is a breach of tenant obligations under the RTA 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And the fact that some tenants think it's ok to use the deposit as the last months rent is exactly why deposits of 2/3 months will become the norm rather than the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OP there is no real need to go down the path you are suggesting other than for convenience. Whether he is registered with the PRTB or not is really none of your concern as it does not affect your rights in anyway.
    Were he to retain your deposit then you can still complain to the PRTB in which case the LL will immediately face a charge of €180 for not being registered before they even hear the merits of your case.
    I would guess the Landlord will not be eager to go down this route so would be less likely to unfairly withhold your deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you leave the property as you found it then there is no need for him to keep back the deposit. Give him the agreed notice in writing.
    Certainly if there is a dispute go to PRTB as you will have your rights even in the absence of a registration

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I think the op would be better to broach the subject of using the last months rent as deposit especially as they have said that they will be late paying rent.... The ll might accept this especially if the op mentions the prtb

Advertisement