Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo xt notebook refuses to shut down

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi folks have a Lenovo xt for a good 6 years now that has been acting up over past year. Refuses to shut down unless I hold power button. Tried wining and clean install several times changing drivers etc. Just stalls in a semi state with fan still running etc. However it will restart ok from the start menu ok and boot up as normal but if done with holding power button down it sometimes takes ages to start. Any ideas? Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What OS is it running? Could be a driver issue I had a Win 7 laptop to fix that took ages to shut down before, downgrading the audio driver solved the issue

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

yoyo wrote: »
    What OS is it running? Could be a driver issue I had a Win 7 laptop to fix that took ages to shut down before, downgrading the audio driver solved the issue

Nick
    Was running xp but upgraded to win 7 ultimate n but also tried downgrading back to xp but prob still existed. How do i downgrade an audio driver. Is it in device manager? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Hotman

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi folks have a Lenovo xt for a good 6 years now that has been acting up over past year. Refuses to shut down unless I hold power button. Tried wining and clean install several times changing drivers etc. Just stalls in a semi state with fan still running etc. However it will restart ok from the start menu ok and boot up as normal but if done with holding power button down it sometimes takes ages to start. Any ideas? Cheers

DW mate, all you have to do (as with any machine) is Hold the power button for exactly 10 seconds. even if it goes off. donm't let go for 10 seconds. as alot of laptops look like they shut down after 3 but it's gone into sleep mode. 10 Seconds and you're shut down. Leaving you boot back up with a perfect emty cache and ram system. gl

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hotman wrote: »
    DW mate, all you have to do (as with any machine) is Hold the power button for exactly 10 seconds. even if it goes off. donm't let go for 10 seconds. as alot of laptops look like they shut down after 3 but it's gone into sleep mode. 10 Seconds and you're shut down. Leaving you boot back up with a perfect emty cache and ram system. gl

And a great way to ruin a hard disk.. You should only ever do a forced power down if the machine becomes unresponsive. Failing to shutdown a computer correctly can cause hardware damage

Nick

Advertisement