Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump Manual or Vert Jump Bible?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'd like to ask someone qualified or with experience if possible. Which of the two jump training programs is more effective, The Vert Jump Bible or Jump Manual. Also is The Vert Jump Bible 2.0 deluxe much better than the first one?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm not really answering your question but I wouldn't buy any manual to increase your vertical. Waste of money and I heard most of them over-work you and will damage your knees. You could find information you want anywhere online to jump higher - squats, core strength and plyometrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

I did one years ago and what Pizzaman says is 100% from my experience, it was a waste of money for me, didn't work. I think for most it's more likely to make you slower or injure you. The only people I could see benefiting from it would be someone who has a naturally powerful build with a lot of muscle mass. For the ordinary Joe it will most likely just burn you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Background in sports science and played myself for years at various levels.

The programmes will work if you commit to them; but unless you have a very good base fitness (and strength) level, you will likely be unable to finish without taking shortcuts and/or injuring yourself.

The other thing is if you complete the programme and then stop, your gains will erode very quickly. You have to keep up the level of intense training to maintain any gains you will make.

That said, I did a jump programme one years ago when I was in college over a summer as a sort of a pre-season conditioning exercise. In a few short weeks I increased my vertical and running jumps, and well as my foot and sprinting speeds significantly. By the time I had finished I had added to that again. Trouble was, it was incredibly demanding physically and just not sustainable over a long period of time. By the time the National League season came around in October my jumps and speed had regressed to the point where they were slightly better than the previous season. That was an awful lot of work for a very small amount of gain.

It's not just the programmes themselves, you have to commit a lot of time to stretching and resting (yes, resting) to see the benefits. You can't for example do the programmes and then do your normal training around them - you won't be able to anyway as you'll likely be knackered.

And they are seriously tough - well, at least the one I did was. For my money, the time would be better invested in getting yourself a good strength and flexibility programme which will have more sustainable long term benefits.

Hope that helps?

Advertisement