Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in castlebar?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I am new to castlebar? Any activities happening in the town or district?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What are your interests. There's a myriad of different organisations/clubs/groups in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Can you be a little bit more specific?

Are you talking about sport or pub life or the price of cows at the mart?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Stick to activities, not anything else please. Next mention of non related activities will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Try Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hah, not a lot :P But things that spring to mind are the cinema, bowling alley, I know that you can't be going to them every 5 minutes mind! I'm sure that there are many different clubs in the town, try looking in the community centres for events being advertised. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

There are dozens of clubs and stuff but what are you looking for? You will find leaflets and ads for stuff in places like the library, social services centre, linenhall

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Running,out door pursuits would be nice.

There is a 5k organised run down at Lough Lannagh every Saturday morning I think.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    There is a 5k organised run down at Lough Lannagh every Saturday morning I think.

Is that the parkland ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

raher1 wrote: »
    Is that the parkland ?

The parkrun

• Advertisement

The Parkrun yes. I think its starts at 9.30 am every Saturday morning.

Is there any thing going on during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Is there any thing going on during the week?

Bus to Westport.

Bus Eireann during the day

Morans in the evening, late return

The woods out in Raheens is always nice for an evening walk. Its just a few minutes drive out the Newport Road in Islandeady.
    http://www.mayo.ie/dnn/Blogs/GeneralBlog/tabid/375/entryid/194/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Go climb Croagh Patrick. 20 minutes from Castlebar town, follow the road to Westport.

You'll feel amazing about yourself afterwards.

anishboi wrote: »
    Go climb Croagh Patrick. 20 minutes from Castlebar town, follow the road to Westport.

You'll feel amazing about yourself afterwards.

Impressive that you can get from Castlebar to Croagh Patrick in 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

I am new to castlebar? Any activities happening in the town or district?

I left castlebar specifically because there was nothing happening in it. Moved to Galway, and a lot happier now :)

For acivities.....i dunno.... you could try fishing in the lake (there's feck all fish tho)....greenway is a nice walk....

Always found it best to be a commuter town, as the surrounding towns seem to have more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Impressive that you can get from Castlebar to Croagh Patrick in 20 mins.

I climb it in 20 mins too ;)

There is a running jogger group going around lanngh lake I hear every other day. Any ideas who is running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

There is a running jogger group going around lanngh lake I hear every other day. Any ideas who is running it?

The group is called Fitforlife. They meet Mondays at 7pm and Thursdays at 8pm. They have a Facebook page. Seems they always welcome new faces. They meet in Aldi carpark.

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    The group is called Fitforlife. They meet Mondays at 7pm and Thursdays at 8pm. They have a Facebook page. Seems they always welcome new faces. They meet in Aldi carpark.

And the parkrun then every Saturday morning.
    http://www.parkrun.ie/castlebar/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Moved out of castlebar a few months ago, not enough to do there and in the space of 3 years the rough element of the town was becoming more apparent. Its a shame because its our county town. Sad to see it going this way. I welcome the introduction of the park run, fit for life, men's shed etc

cool thanks. hope my running helps cheer up castlebar folk.

No sign of that fitforlife in aldi car car park this evening. Is the time changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

They meet 8 on a Thursday. They have also started to go out to trails out of the town on some evenings. Follow their Facebook page as they keep it updated regularly.

Where can you bind a thesis in castlebar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Try Center for the Unemployed, across road from main rc church. Used to do binding, probably still do.

SD

O'byrne pub, is that any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

nuac wrote: »
    Bus to Westport.

Bus Eireann during the day

Morans in the evening, late return

That really is getting old

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

local farmer will do it with baling twine for a tenner.....:D

Advertisement