Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef recipe for a large family lunch

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Will be having a large family gathering over the weekend. Approx 10 adults and 8 kids. Planning on a chicken dish and a beef dish, that both can bee eaten with rice- for handiness! Chicken dish is sorted. Trying to decide on the beef.

Thinking simple so have so far, beef stroganof but does it keep ok? Is it something I can have prepared up to an hour before and keep hot or does it have to be served straight up? I prefer to have something that can keep hot 30-60mins before peeps arrive to finish off final preps etc, rather than be cooking as peeps arrive.

Thanks. Other suggestions welcome, thanks.

Comments

Something like this:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9805/hungarian-goulash
    or
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3328/spicy-beef-stew-with-beans-and-peppers

Can be made the day before and reheated. Great with rice and/or garlic bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

theres a goulash recipe on here by physco hope..its absolutely amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

How about a mild chilli con carne but add in some bbq flavouring for a bit of smokiness.

Or I've done chilli with some chorizo and / or bacon in it and it's delicious.

Make it up the day beforehand to let it rest overnight then you just need to reheat (thoroughly) on the day.

Any beef dish cooked in advance and left overnight (in a fridge) always tastes so much better the next day - the same is true for stroganoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

[QUOTE=

Any beef dish cooked in advance and left overnight (in a fridge) always tastes so much better the next day - the same is true for stroganoff.[/QUOTE]

So even stroganof is ok cooked the nite before, even with the sour cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

73trix wrote: »

Should be. I've often done beef korma (another suggestion!!) using creme fraiche or yoghurt and its kept fine without separating.

Just remember to chill quickly and keep in the fridge overnight. If you're making up a big batch (same goes for the chicken dish) when its done pour it into a large shallow tray - it will help it cool qiucker and more evenly than say plonking it all in a bowl or worse - leaving it in it's pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

73trix wrote: »

No, a proper stroganoff is made with filet steak (or similarly tender cut), cooked quickly and served immediately. It is not a stew.

I cooked for 20 people over Christmas. I did a shin beef stew with red wine. Beef, smoked bacon, garlic, onion, celery, carrot, some thin slices of ginger and some tinned tomatoes. Served with really good mash. Went down a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ was just about to suggest Boeuf Bourguignon, beer's stew sounds close enough, without the mushrooms and tiny onions.

Was wondering, OP, what's the chicken dish? It helps to know so that it it's not too similar to the beef dishes suggestions.

Advertisement