Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, if you get called to a meeting about plagiarising an assignment what are the consequences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on the individual School's policy, really, but it could vary from being asked to resubmit your assignment, to failing the module, to being expelled from the university (although I've never heard of the latter). It also depends on the extent of the plagiarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

gladiators wrote: »
    Hi, if you get called to a meeting about plagiarising an assignment what are the consequences?

Did you do it? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Each case is taken on an individual basis. 90% of the time you have to re-submit the essay and the max you get for it is the passing grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

On the topic of Plagiarism, any decent online checkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

ironclaw wrote: »
    On the topic of Plagiarism, any decent online checkers?

Why would you need a checker? You don't know whether you plagiarised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Why would you need a checker? You don't know whether you plagiarised?

Actually its recommended before submitting any text. For example, SafeAssign flagged a section of my text simply because I happened to write it in the exact same way as a text from Cambridge, a text I had never seen.

Was just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

ironclaw wrote: »
    Actually its recommended before submitting any text. For example, SafeAssign flagged a section of my text simply because I happened to write it in the exact same way as a text from Cambridge, a text I had never seen.

Was just curious!

Were you called up on that? I'm always paranoid that when I go editing my essays and I make my language more formal that they're going to sound like what someone else has written.

I mean there must be thousands of essays online about the same subjects as I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

One thing I hate about SafeAssign is that once or twice I've gotten high % matches and when I check the report it's flagged the bibliography and footnotes as plagiarism:pac:

It also flagged my name one time too..'another student's paper' :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Blay wrote: »
    One thing I hate about SafeAssign is that once or twice I've gotten high % matches and when I check the report it's flagged the bibliography and footnotes as plagiarism:pac:
    We were told to leave them out of the Safe Assign submission for that reason and only include them in the hard copy. Does that vary from school to school?

Safe Assign once flagged a really generic sentence in an assignment because it also happened to appear on the website of a creche in Wales :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

WildRosie wrote: »
    We were told to leave them out of the Safe Assign submission for that reason and only include them in the hard copy. Does that vary from school to school?

It varies from School to School. Also, another reason for footnotes/references to be included in the SA version is due to the fact that not all students submit hard copies of their essays (even though they're meant to).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Ah right, didn't know that. They grade the hard copies in the School of Nursing so if you don't submit one, you don't get a grade. I think they use Safe Assign just to check for plagiarism.

Advertisement