Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you rate your ideas?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭

I come up with potential new ideas all the time, and I am sure lots of people on here are the same. I work in digital, and so nearly all of them are online ideas - i.e. websites, potential apps, etc.

I am interested to hear how people rate their own ideas, and whether you have frameworks to decide whether they make the cut or are worth pursuing.

I think I have come up with a way to rate my own. They need to be:

-Easy to explain
    -Easy to use
    -Have a clear benefit or 'hook' for the user

By 'hook', I mean something that people can latch onto, something that gives it a special focus that will attract users to the product or service.

For example, a photo-sharing app / website for 'x'. Let's say a photo sharing app for taking pictures of your pet.

-Easy to explain (yes)
    -Easy to use (yes - simply upload a photo and tag it, etc)
    -Have a clear benefit or 'hook' (NO!)

In the photo sharing app example, it fails one of the criteria (since people will just use existing channels to share their pics and there is no clear hook as such), and so it's an easy one to filter out.

Curious to hear other people's thought processes around this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I think few people would have an offical way to evaluate ideas. I suppose it's different with digital as, assuming you're capable, all you need is the idea and a computer to get a minimum viable product off the ground. Its relatively low cost.

If it's a product you come up with then the evaluation process has many more boxes to tick. In most cases it a matter of crossing each bridge as you come to them. If you were to try to tick all at the beginning no idea would ever get past that stage.

Just as a matter of interest. If you x the 3rd check do you move on or try to fix what's wrong. I think your process may be flawed if you do just move on and I think you may never find what you're looking for. There's not many unique ideas left but there's so many niche ideas that can be exploited. Eg. So dog photo sharing sites are not new. Creat a hook. Maybe a dog dating web sit. Owners/breaders find a local, but acceptable mate to produce quality pups, nice cross pups, ect. So I would suggest at least one more box. Can I fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

lucky john wrote: »
    I think few people would have an offical way to evaluate ideas. I suppose it's different with digital as, assuming you're capable, all you need is the idea and a computer to get a minimum viable product off the ground. Its relatively low cost.

If it's a product you come up with then the evaluation process has many more boxes to tick. In most cases it a matter of crossing each bridge as you come to them. If you were to try to tick all at the beginning no idea would ever get past that stage.

Just as a matter of interest. If you x the 3rd check do you move on or try to fix what's wrong. I think your process may be flawed if you do just move on and I think you may never find what you're looking for. There's not many unique ideas left but there's so many niche ideas that can be exploited. Eg. So dog photo sharing sites are not new. Creat a hook. Maybe a dog dating web sit. Owners/breaders find a local, but acceptable mate to produce quality pups, nice cross pups, ect. So I would suggest at least one more box. Can I fix it.

Yes it is probably a very simplified version of what I actually do :) Totally agree, generally I would try to take it a step further and see what kind of angles there might be. As you say, there are few unique ideas left but there is always room for a niche idea if it is the right kind of idea at the right time, etc.

I have been thinking lately that there other elements that are crucial to the selection process too. For example, with online ideas it is always difficult to get people to contribute content if the idea is centred around user-generated content (UGC). You have the chicken and egg scenario, and then you have to monitor and moderate content as the service hopefully grows. I guess that's a nice problem to have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

If you haven't read "the lean startup"by Eric Ries I think its a book you would like. Its very much aimed at online startups.

With the amount of stuff out there online it can't be easy to stick out. However, it can be done by providing strong content. I read plenty of blogs on small business but I don't have a particular go to one. Content can be very poor by times and inconsistent. I think if someone planned a campaign carefully and became a key site of influence on any particular subject it would work.

I find the best way to filter ideas is I send them to a handful of friends and ask them to pull them apart and find all the reasons it won't work. I have one friend I call the "unraveller" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Hard to remain objective when working on something you have invested personal time into.

I always run new products by my wife first, not because she will give the answer she thinks I'm looking for but because she is the most brutal and difficult potential customer Id ever face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

lucky john wrote: »
    If you haven't read "the lean startup"by Eric Ries I think its a book you would like. Its very much aimed at online startups.

Seconding this, great book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

I used to think ideas were actually important.

But in fact, ideas are ten a penny.

The internet is awash with ideas for new products and concepts. Drunks talk about ideas in pubs. Students talk about ideas they will invent when they leave college. Old people talk about ideas they had when they were young.

Unfortunately, most ideas are worthless without action.

The best entrepreneurs don't talk about ideas. They get out there, they try them out, they tweak them, they are persistent. But, after a while if it they don't work they move on. They try something else. And assuming, that they have learnt from their mistakes and are quick enough, they usually do succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ideas are worth nothing.

Implemented ideas are worth everything.

Trojan wrote: »
    Ideas are worth nothing.

Implemented ideas are worth everything.

I would agree with your sentiment in many ways and what jetson is saying, but you need good ideas to implement in the first place. The creativity process, the discussion and the hashing out are vital for an entrepreneur in my opinion, and they are a skill in themselves. Talking about ideas is important, talking to people who have a different perspective on things, talking to people who are experts in the industry too. Many's an idea I have had has been pulled apart by simply talking about it to the right people. Many's an idea has been pulled apart on this very forum!

I started a business once in Australia where I filed a patent on in car taxi advertising on dashboards and headrests. Before I invested the funds in seeing the patent through I went to talk to various taxi supremos in Perth, one of which sat on the board of the national taxi association. He was able to tell me that there was a bill under review to ban some forms of taxi advertising, and that to file the patent would be a waste of time and money. Some things you just can't see coming, and if you dont do your 'due diligence' which is fleshing out the idea with the right people it can cost you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with you there El Rifle. What I said is very over simplified and coming from a particular perspective. Perhaps "Your idea implemented correctly might be worth a fortune" would be more accurate, but then that's not poetic enough for me :)

Speaking from the development angle, it is all too frequent that "ideas" people approach "technical" people with a proposition something along the lines of "I have a great idea, you do all the work and I'll give you a fractional percentage of the business". That's what my previous post is most influenced by.

As a technical entrepreneur/software/web developer, and more recently as a business mentor, I get to see a lot of business ideas. Many, even most of them have merit if approached from the right angle (i.e. be prepared to pivot). Only some ideas will ever be potential industry- or world-changers, but I've come across one or two of them: one recent idea I saw had the potential to make in the €100Ms or more if deployed worldwide, and would cause the death of an entire class of job in a particular industry. Most won't make much of a ripple, even if implemented effectively.

Regarding judging ideas, one of the most useful things I ever did from a business perspective was take part in a mastermind group - a small group of like-minded business owners, we all had signed NDAs and non-competes* with each other, and did warts-and-all analysis of our businesses, discussing problems, goals, sales figures, everything. Incredibly valuable and I highly recommend something like that to anyone who has the opportunity (or desire to set one up). Solo business owners will find it most useful if you don't have a trusted advisor to bounce ideas off. * we had some interesting clauses in the non-compete so as to make joint ventures possible and mutually beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Atomico wrote: »
    -Easy to explain
    -Easy to use
    -Have a clear benefit or 'hook' for the user
    I would add the following criteria:

-Has a solid revenue model

Without it, you might have a cool app or Web site or whatever, but you're going to run out of money faster than you think.

I was employed as CTO of a Web-based company a few idea that had a good idea - and it really was a good idea.

Problem is that they didn't have a revenue model, at least not a real one. They had projected subscriptions for their service in their business plan so that they could get investment, but it turned out that the research they did on this was complete BS - they pulled all their data out of their arse, basically.

The idea was very good though; easy to explain, useful and had a clear benefit or 'hook'. But it made no money - in reality, there was no clear, let alone solid, revenue model. So they burned through their investor's money and eventually the plug was pulled.
    Trojan wrote: »
    I agree with you there El Rifle. What I said is very over simplified and coming from a particular perspective. Perhaps "Your idea implemented correctly might be worth a fortune" would be more accurate, but then that's not poetic enough for me :)
    Yup, I'd rather a well-implemented mediocre idea than a poorly-implemented brilliant idea, any day.

After all, Google was not the first search engine out there. Neither was Facebook the first social network. Or the iPhone the first platform that sought to allow third party applications to run on a phone.

In all cases, the first to market or to have the idea could not translate it to success; despite it being easy to explain, useful and had a clear benefit or 'hook'.

jetsonx wrote: »
    I used to think ideas were actually important.

But in fact, ideas are ten a penny.

The internet is awash with ideas for new products and concepts. Drunks talk about ideas in pubs. Students talk about ideas they will invent when they leave college. Old people talk about ideas they had when they were young.

Unfortunately, most ideas are worthless without action.

The best entrepreneurs don't talk about ideas. They get out there, they try them out, they tweak them, they are persistent. But, after a while if it they don't work they move on. They try something else. And assuming, that they have learnt from their mistakes and are quick enough, they usually do succeed.

I agree with the sentiments behind that for sure, and it's the kind of post I would have written myself. However, two things:

-It's an answer to a different question. I was more looking for people's thought processes behind deciding whether or not to pursue an idea, as opposed to what's required to (eventually) achieve success.

-The 'ideas are nothing, execution is everything' line gets trotted out a lot, and I very largely agree. However, it's not altogether accurate, since if you don't have a good idea, the execution won't matter anyway. A chocolate kettle is a bad idea no matter how you plan to execute on it (extreme example of course).

At the end of the day, no idea or no good idea = execution doesn't matter. So you need a good idea to begin with.

I would add the following criteria:

-Has a solid revenue model

Without it, you might have a cool app or Web site or whatever, but you're going to run out of money faster than you think.

I was employed as CTO of a Web-based company a few idea that had a good idea - and it really was a good idea.

Problem is that they didn't have a revenue model, at least not a real one. They had projected subscriptions for their service in their business plan so that they could get investment, but it turned out that the research they did on this was complete BS - they pulled all their data out of their arse, basically.

The idea was very good though; easy to explain, useful and had a clear benefit or 'hook'. But it made no money - in reality, there was no clear, let alone solid, revenue model. So they burned through their investor's money and eventually the plug was pulled.

Objectively, does that not make it not a good idea then, from a commercial standpoint at least? If the idea was that good, would there not have been approaches from established companies in the area? I guess it depends on the product though, and whether other companies could see synergies, etc.

If not, then I can see how it could have just run out of runway, and that seems to be the number 1 reason why startups fail (tech startups anyway).

I actually read about Daily Booth only lately, hadn't realised it had gone bang but it was a classic example of a company closing down because they couldn't figure out how to make money (even thought it was a really cool idea).

Personally I think that a good idea is not necessarily an idea that is going to make money. So they are not mutually exclusive imo. I also think there is nothing wrong with pursuing ideas that may never make money, and where there is no compelling revenue model - provided you can afford it and aren't risking a lot by doing so.

Objectively, does that not make it not a good idea then, from a commercial standpoint at least? If the idea was that good, would there not have been approaches from established companies in the area? I guess it depends on the product though, and whether other companies could see synergies, etc.
    Why would there have been approaches from established companies in the area? And how would those supposed 'synergies' benefit the company; after all, unless those established companies in the area are willing to pay you to hook up, you're still making no money because you still don't have a revenue model.
    If not, then I can see how it could have just run out of runway, and that seems to be the number 1 reason why startups fail (tech startups anyway).
    If you're not making money, you're going to run out of runway, sooner or later. Investment at the start, will pay for that initial period where you're not making money, but sooner or later you will have to stand on your feet as those safety wheels will get pulled eventually.

If you've not thought through your revenue model before committing, that means that you'll waste time realizing this, then seeking a revenue model so you can make money and, most likely, even more time adapting (even perverting) your original idea to allow this.

I had a client about four years ago with a start-up that I could see had no real revenue model, so in my first meeting politely explained that he should be prepared to completely change his business along the way if the need arose. He was adamant that he wouldn't have to. 12 months later he did, because he wasn't making a penny (or a rap, more correctly).
    Personally I think that a good idea is not necessarily an idea that is going to make money. So they are not mutually exclusive imo. I also think there is nothing wrong with pursuing ideas that may never make money, and where there is no compelling revenue model - provided you can afford it and aren't risking a lot by doing so.
    If you're willing to pay for it yourself, sure, but I wouldn't recommend saying this to a potential investor. Personally, I work off the premise that, especially as this is the Entrepreneurial & Business Management board, we're discussing business ideas that do need to make money.

Why would there have been approaches from established companies in the area? And how would those supposed 'synergies' benefit the company; after all, unless those established companies in the area are willing to pay you to hook up, you're still making no money because you still don't have a revenue model.

The company may be making no money, but to say that there is no reason why another company might not buy you is a tad simplistic, no? The company might not have a revenue model or any revenue to speak of, but they still might have any or even all of the following:

-IP that another company might want to swoop up (perhaps at a good price). I only read the other day about a travel startup which never took off. The source code for their app was purchased by TripAdvisor (not sure for how much, but it is just one example).

-Employees / 'talent acquisition' - I think Yahoo does one of these every other week.

-Customer base. You may not be making money out of them, but a seamless transition to another company who can make money out of them obviously worth something.

And I am sure there are lots more reasons. Granted these are outliers, but why did Yahoo buy Tumblr, and why did Facebook buy Instagram?

I personally know of one struggling company that was bought by Oracle. The founder was about to re-mortgage his house at one point in order to keep the company afloat and continue to keep up with payroll. The founder is now a millionaire and happily employed by Oracle.
    If you're not making money, you're going to run out of runway, sooner or later. Investment at the start, will pay for that initial period where you're not making money, but sooner or later you will have to stand on your feet as those safety wheels will get pulled eventually.

If you've not thought through your revenue model before committing, that means that you'll waste time realizing this, then seeking a revenue model so you can make money and, most likely, even more time adapting (even perverting) your original idea to allow this.

I had a client about four years ago with a start-up that I could see had no real revenue model, so in my first meeting politely explained that he should be prepared to completely change his business along the way if the need arose. He was adamant that he wouldn't have to. 12 months later he did, because he wasn't making a penny (or a rap, more correctly).

I largely agree, if you have no revenue model and lots of costs it's only going to go one way if the above scenarios I referenced above don't play out or apply. However there are lots of companies who start out with the 'product first, monetise later' approach (half of Silicon Valley?).
    If you're willing to pay for it yourself, sure, but I wouldn't recommend saying this to a potential investor. Personally, I work off the premise that, especially as this is the Entrepreneurial & Business Management board, we're discussing business ideas that do need to make money.

Of course not, and I wouldn't. That's not to say someone can't start something with their own money and grow it into something successful (the definition of which is going to vary depending on the person).

So while it's obviously always better and preferable to have a revenue model, I think it's too simplistic to say that you will 100% fail without it (and actually wrong).

The company may be making no money, but to say that there is no reason why another company might not buy you is a tad simplistic, no?
    Simplistic would be seeing a buy out as your end game, especially at that stage. Actually idiotic more than simplistic.

Buy outs are a lot more difficult that you might imagine. You actually have to have real IP present before anyone is going to consider spending a penny on you and even if you do make yourself look attractive, it can take a very long time before anyone looks at you, let alone makes you an offer (Instagram - two years before buyout. Tumblr - six years.). So unless your investors are happy to fund a bottomless pit for, say, five years, you're going to be out of luck.

To start up a company with no other plan but to get bought out is just the currently popular spin on the old IPO line that was popular during the dotcom.
    I personally know of one struggling company that was bought by Oracle. The founder was about to re-mortgage his house at one point in order to keep the company afloat and continue to keep up with payroll. The founder is now a millionaire and happily employed by Oracle.
    I personally know of one struggling person that won the lotto.

When you start basing your business plan on the same sort of logic, and a white knight coming in and buying you out, turning you into a millionaire, is that kind of logic, then you might as well just play the Lotto, TBH.
    However there are lots of companies who start out with the 'product first, monetise later' approach (half of Silicon Valley?).
    Fifteen years ago. Doesn't work as well nowadays. Have you checked how many of these actually survive, even beyond their first year, as opposed to those who who have an actual business model?
    I think it's too simplistic to say that you will 100% fail without it (and actually wrong).
    I don't think you understand; I've never said 100% fail, because at the end of the day someone does will the Lotto. But to base your business plan on winning the Lotto, rather than an actual business, will see you fail 99.9% of the time. And if you're all fur and no knickers where it comes to your revenue model, most investors will see through you. Even those who won't see you at the start, will realize by the time you come round cap in hand for the next round of funding - which is what happened in that example I witnessed earlier.

If you're serious about an enterprise, treat it as one, not some sort of get-ritch-quick scheme.

Simplistic would be seeing a buy out as your end game, especially at that stage. Actually idiotic more than simplistic.

That would indeed be idiotic, but it's not what I said. I said that there can be more than one outcome, even if a business has no revenue model starting out, or even at a later stage. It would be stupid to start something with being bought out or taken over as your end goal, but it is something that happens to a lot of companies. Of course, many, many multiples more just fail outright.
    Buy outs are a lot more difficult that you might imagine. You actually have to have real IP present before anyone is going to consider spending a penny on you and even if you do make yourself look attractive, it can take a very long time before anyone looks at you, let alone makes you an offer (Instagram - two years before buyout. Tumblr - six years.). So unless your investors are happy to fund a bottomless pit for, say, five years, you're going to be out of luck.

True, and I think Tumblr was an extremely rare case. They probably just came along at the right time (blogging was 'hot'), and investors couldn't ignore the sheer number of users.
    I personally know of one struggling person that won the lotto.

When you start basing your business plan on the same sort of logic, and a white knight coming in and buying you out, turning you into a millionaire, is that kind of logic, then you might as well just play the Lotto, TBH.

Fifteen years ago. Doesn't work as well nowadays. Have you checked how many of these actually survive, even beyond their first year, as opposed to those who who have an actual business model?

I don't think you understand; I've never said 100% fail, because at the end of the day someone does will the Lotto. But to base your business plan on winning the Lotto, rather than an actual business, will see you fail 99.9% of the time. And if you're all fur and no knickers where it comes to your revenue model, most investors will see through you. Even those who won't see you at the start, will realize by the time you come round cap in hand for the next round of funding - which is what happened in that example I witnessed earlier.

If you're serious about an enterprise, treat it as one, not some sort of get-ritch-quick scheme.

I wouldn't base my business plan on 'hey people are going to love this, and once we have the user base the sky's the limit', and I can see how lots of companies have grown without a business model and then run out of runway in spite of impressive growth (again, Daily Booth is the epitome of this scenario).

There is a big difference between saying 'this could happen' (a fortuitous outcome in spite of a weak / non-existent business model), and actually basing your go-to market plan around that great outcome taking place.

I am coming around to your way of thinking a lot more and I can see how in this day and age, investors likely take an even dimmer view of concepts with no clear revenue model (or a solid plan to get to one).

What do you think of models where the starting point is building a community or user base around a particular topic / sector, with the intention of monetising later? To take a hypothetical example, a golfing site / community where the goal is to offer users membership options later on, paid job listings to relevant businesses, etc.

So, building a community first, and then monetising once that user base reaches a 'meaningful' level.

You're going to say 'good luck with that', aren't you? :)

I guess it's about finding that sweet spot where something is genuinely a good idea, and where there is a clear way to make money. You may never get there (e.g. concept doesn't take off, community doesn't happen), but at least if you start with a clear idea around monetisation, you are in a stronger position.

The way I see it, at this point there is just so much of everything out there now, more than ever you really need something a bit different that will capture people's imagination and break through all the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Good quote from Jobs on the subject:
    "One of the things that really hurt Apple was after I left, John Scully got a very serious disease.

And that disease - I've seen other people get it too - it's the disease of thinking that really great idea is 90% of the work.

And that if you just tell all these other people, you know, "Here's this great idea,' then of course they can go off and make it happen.

And the problem with that is that there is just a tremendous amount of craftsmanship in between a great idea and a great product.

And as you evolve that great idea, it changes and grows.

It never comes out like it starts, because you learn a lot more as you get into the subtleties of it and you also find there is tremendous trade-offs that you have to make.

I mean, there are just certain things you can't make electrons do. There are certain things you can't make plastics do or glass do or factories do or robots do.

And as you get into all these things, designing a product is keeping 5000 things in your brain - these concepts - and fitting them all together and kind of continuing to push to fit them together in new and different ways to get what you want.

And evert day you discover something new that is a new problem or a new opportunity to fit these things together a little differently.

And it's that process that is the magic."

That would indeed be idiotic, but it's not what I said.
    Actually, it is what you said. I recommended adding "has a solid revenue model" to the list of idea criteria, which you objected to. For you, the measure of a good idea was "approaches from established companies in the area" and for some reason, the ability for the idea to make its own revenue irrelevant or even cause to consider it not a good idea.

And without it's own revenue model, how does it become commercially successful? Don't suggest B2B streams such as selling data or services to other companies, because that is a revenue model.
    True, and I think Tumblr was an extremely rare case. They probably just came along at the right time (blogging was 'hot'), and investors couldn't ignore the sheer number of users.
    You missed the point; Tumblr too six years to realize a successful buyout. Without any real revenue stream, it is very, very difficult to get someone to bankroll you for even half that time on the hope that you'll win the Lotto and get bought out by one of the big boys.
    What do you think of models where the starting point is building a community or user base around a particular topic / sector, with the intention of monetising later?
    Choosing to defer monetization is not the same thing as not bothering to have a means to monetize in the first place.
    To take a hypothetical example, a golfing site / community where the goal is to offer users membership options later on, paid job listings to relevant businesses, etc.

So, building a community first, and then monetising once that user base reaches a 'meaningful' level.

You're going to say 'good luck with that', aren't you? :)
    No, because that 'idea' does have a solid revenue model, if properly researched, from the onset.

What I criticized was where the revenue model is not a factor in the 'good idea' from the onset - the fly-by-night, "let's get a big userbase and then figure out what to do with it" approach.

Bare in mind I've added the caveat of proper research. I've reviewed plenty of business plans over the years, for investors, and one thing that I've found is this is probably the single most common point of failure in any of them.

When seeking investment, they all too often stop being real plans and simply become brochures - sales devices to bring in the money. As a result, while revenue streams are always present, it's easy to spot the bullshìt ones that are just there to keep a potential investor happy; voodoo analysis and dubious research or data being the most obvious recurring means to hide any true substance.

The revenue model in such plans is not properly researched, nor solid.
    I guess it's about finding that sweet spot where something is genuinely a good idea, and where there is a clear way to make money.
    I agree, which is why I wonder why you didn't include something as important as 'a clear way to make money' in your criteria for a 'good' idea. And then seeming object to being included, when I suggested it.
    The way I see it, at this point there is just so much of everything out there now, more than ever you really need something a bit different that will capture people's imagination and break through all the noise.
    That's somewhat true; there's also no shortage of clones out there who just happen to have better marketing than the guy who had the original idea.

However, I've never argued against this. All I did was point out that if your idea does not have a solid revenue model as well, you will be lucky to get very far. You'll need investors with deep pockets to survive until you hopefully stumble on a means to monetize whatever you have, or get bought out, and most investors saw this cowboy approach fifteen years ago - so I wouldn't hold my breath on them all ploughing money into it.

Actually, it is what you said. I recommended adding "has a solid revenue model" to the list of idea criteria, which you objected to. For you, the measure of a good idea was "approaches from established companies in the area" and for some reason, the ability for the idea to make its own revenue irrelevant or even cause to consider it not a good idea.

Actually, it isn't what I said but it probably suits your argument to twist it that way! What I actually said was that one of the reasons that a company would purchase or see value in another company - even if that company did not have a revenue model - is where said company would still have something of value to the potential purchaser.

I didn't actually say anything about that being a revenue model in itself, or that a company should see that as their end game.
    And without it's own revenue model, how does it become commercially successful? Don't suggest B2B streams such as selling data or services to other companies, because that is a revenue model.

You missed the point; Tumblr too six years to realize a successful buyout. Without any real revenue stream, it is very, very difficult to get someone to bankroll you for even half that time on the hope that you'll win the Lotto and get bought out by one of the big boys.

Choosing to defer monetization is not the same thing as not bothering to have a means to monetize in the first place.

No, because that 'idea' does have a solid revenue model, if properly researched, from the onset.

What I criticized was where the revenue model is not a factor in the 'good idea' from the onset - the fly-by-night, "let's get a big userbase and then figure out what to do with it" approach.

Bare in mind I've added the caveat of proper research. I've reviewed plenty of business plans over the years, for investors, and one thing that I've found is this is probably the single most common point of failure in any of them.

When seeking investment, they all too often stop being real plans and simply become brochures - sales devices to bring in the money. As a result, while revenue streams are always present, it's easy to spot the bullshìt ones that are just there to keep a potential investor happy; voodoo analysis and dubious research or data being the most obvious recurring means to hide any true substance.

The revenue model in such plans is not properly researched, nor solid.

I agree, which is why I wonder why you didn't include something as important as 'a clear way to make money' in your criteria for a 'good' idea. And then seeming object to being included, when I suggested it.

That's somewhat true; there's also no shortage of clones out there who just happen to have better marketing than the guy who had the original idea.

However, I've never argued against this. All I did was point out that if your idea does not have a solid revenue model as well, you will be lucky to get very far. You'll need investors with deep pockets to survive until you hopefully stumble on a means to monetize whatever you have, or get bought out, and most investors saw this cowboy approach fifteen years ago - so I wouldn't hold my breath on them all ploughing money into it.

The rest I agree with :) I only saw a Business Insider article at the weekend which basically said that Tumblr still have no real way of making any money.

• Advertisement

I didn't actually say anything about that being a revenue model in itself, or that a company should see that as their end game.
    Hold on. You rejected a solid business model being one measure of how good an idea is, when it was suggested, and instead started going on about how other companies would purchase or see value in it, so what do you expect us to conclude exactly?

Doesn't take much 'twisting' from what you actually said to find that the exit is pretty much the only business model you're attributing to the idea. Or was there another one you suggested somewhere in that response that I've missed?

Hold on. You rejected a solid business model being one measure of how good an idea is, when it was suggested, and instead started going on about how other companies would purchase or see value in it, so what do you expect us to conclude exactly?

Doesn't take much 'twisting' from what you actually said to find that the exit is pretty much the only business model you're attributing to the idea. Or was there another one you suggested somewhere in that response that I've missed?

Not sure how you think I rejected having a solid business model as a measure of how good an idea is? Happy for you to quote where I said that.

I said that a good idea is not necessarily one that will make money, and I also said that a non-money making business could be valuable.

That's it really.

I said that a good idea is not necessarily one that will make money, and I also said that a non-money making business could be valuable.
    Correct me on this, but isn't making money a defining feature of a solid business model?

Or are you suggesting that you can have a solid business model that makes no money?

Also, why would a business be attractive if one has no revenue model that it can leverage with it?

Correct me on this, but isn't making money a defining feature of a solid business model?

Or are you suggesting that you can have a solid business model that makes no money?

Also, why would a business be attractive if one has no revenue model that it can leverage with it?

The title of the thread is: 'How do you rate your ideas'. Ideas are not necessarily going to turn into businesses or come with a business model - and some won't even survive the first few hours of analysis.

The point of the thread was to see how people assessed, filtered and decided whether to proceed with a particular idea or not. Not a discussion on the merits of whether an idea can be commercialised specifically (and yes I know it is the business forum).

The point of the thread was to see how people assessed, filtered and decided whether to proceed with a particular idea or not. Not a discussion on the merits of whether an idea can be commercialised specifically (and yes I know it is the business forum).
    Maybe this thread is better suited to the Humanities forum then? Why did you start it here, btw?

Maybe this thread is better suited to the Humanities forum then? Why did you start it here, btw?

Um, maybe because the starting point for a business is usually that someone goes 'Hey I have an idea', and it goes from there? I doubt you'd get many reasonable people arguing with that.

No need to be disingenuous Corinthian. Unlike the Development forum we're fairly relaxed here - if this thread were posted over there you'd probably be banned by now for going off-topic.

Um, maybe because the starting point for a business is usually that someone goes 'Hey I have an idea', and it goes from there? I doubt you'd get many reasonable people arguing with that.
    Sure, but we're discussing criteria for whether an idea is good or not and not whether business usually begin with ideas. And if we are talking about ideas that are to become businesses one of those criteria tends to be that it is a viable business idea.
    No need to be disingenuous Corinthian. Unlike the Development forum we're fairly relaxed here - if this thread were posted over there you'd probably be banned by now for going off-topic.
    Unlikely as the topic appears to be the problem. You appear to want to have an academic discussion on ideas in general and ignore the commercial aspects, otherwise the business model would be one of your criteria from the onset.

So either this thread is in the wrong forum or you're suggesting is the old half-arsed "if we build it they will come" approach to business where you run with an idea and hope for the best.

Either is frankly pretty disingenuous.

Advertisement