Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar violence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

corsav6 wrote: »
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/man-rushed-hospital-after-being-3425032

Passed by after all the action but still plenty of garda about. Things are getting a bit out of control around the town lately, I'm glad to be outside the town.

Sorry if this has been posted already but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Well I got a clip around the ear for mentioning it on another thread so I'd be careful what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Well I got a clip around the ear for mentioning it on another thread so I'd be careful what you say.

I'm not saying much to be honest because I don't know the details but something happened shortly before myself and the other half were walking by with our baby. I normally work on Thursday and she goes over with the little guy on her own to do the shopping, not unlike her to pop into new look either.
    Not nice to think they could have been caught in the middle of some street row, weapons involved too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Anything mentioned in here NOT in the public media will receive an instant ban, there maybe a court case out of this.
    These threads have a habit of not ending well, so heed the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

CCTV cameras in New Look so if the fight spilled in there as the link above says they should be able to identify some of the culprits.

Very sad to hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been a rough 18 months or so in the town, from stabbings, shootings and a double murder, the town is having enough issues as it is and this latest incident will deter some people from coming to shop here with the violence now happening in our supposed shopping district.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    It has been a rough 18 months or so in the town, from stabbings, shootings and a double murder, the town is having enough issues as it is and this latest incident will deter some people from coming to shop here with the violence now happening in our supposed shopping district.

V true, when it happens at 4pm in the busiest shopping area outside a shop frequented by girls/women some with kids it should not be tolerated.
    Need to get the full force down on these individuals, place is covered in CCTV so no doubt who was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »
    V true, when it happens at 4pm in the busiest shopping area outside a shop frequented by girls/women some with kids it should not be tolerated.
    Need to get the full force down on these individuals, place is covered in CCTV so no doubt who was involved.

The whole town got CCTV but CCTV wasn't much use outside the Top garage.

Its the courts that gives theses individuals a million chances,that's creating a problem, it makes interesting reading when read the line "with 20 previous convictions" in the court reports and they get another chance because they have changed and it was the drink.:rolleyes:

All these attacks and the amount of shop closures in castlebar make for a pretty bleak future for the town. The castlebar family allegedly involved in these incidents have lived in the town for many years without any serious problems, many have befriended the locals and are noted to be decent people, like most people I have encountered from the town. Its the people who carried out these attacks who have no regard for the safety of the public.
    Anyway I'm sure the suspended sentence they may recieve will deter them from doing it again.

All these attacks and the amount of shop closures in castlebar make for a pretty bleak future for the town. The castlebar family allegedly involved in these incidents have lived in the town for many years without any serious problems, many have befriended the locals and are noted to be decent people, like most people I have encountered from the town. Its the people who carried out these attacks who have no regard for the safety of the public.
    Anyway I'm sure the suspended sentence they may recieve will deter them from doing it again.

It is supposed to be the new group that moved into town last year, but as per the charter I will say no more about them or mention names.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is supposed to be the new group that moved into town last year, but as per the charter I will say no more about them or mention names.

I assumed it was linked to the shooting incident, that's what the article implies anyway.
    I seen a few new faces around main street shouting abuse at people over the last few months. I don't live in town anymore, I used to miss it but to be honest I'm glad we moved now.
    People will still judge the town on these incidents and not on what's good about the town, its a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I assumed it was linked to the shooting incident, that's what the article implies anyway.
    I seen a few new faces around main street shouting abuse at people over the last few months. I don't live in town anymore, I used to miss it but to be honest I'm glad we moved now.
    People will still judge the town on these incidents and not on what's good about the town, its a shame.

The local guards are rather tired off it too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

The mirror are the only paper of news source to report so its surely not that big a deal if it was a proper stab we would be reading it a lot more

Mod Note - Sorry I missed that post from last night, deleted, don't feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I was quite concerned about this when I first saw it here.

Castlebar is my closest bit of urbanisation and my wife uses that shop, but other than the Mirror article, I've seen nothing further. I don't listen to MadWest but there is nothing on their website either.

Is there anything in this or does it just read worse than the actuality?

Maphisto wrote: »
    I was quite concerned about this when I first saw it here.

Castlebar is my closest bit of urbanisation and my wife uses that shop, but other than the Mirror article, I've seen nothing further. I don't listen to MadWest but there is nothing on their website either.

Is there anything in this or does it just read worse than the actuality?

It did happen and was quite a serious incident, there were quite a few witnesses to the event including one of my family members, there was a fella as well taking pictures of it as it was happening and putting them on twitter, but I cannot mention anything that you have not seen in that article. To be honest unless it is a murder or a supposed kidnapping, any violence that happens in the west is rarely picked up on by the press in Dublin, expect it to be on the local papers though next week.

My uncle works in Dunne's and witnessed the whole thing, saw 2 people taking pictures near all the action. Its a serious incident that affects the town and people who live in it, lack of media coverage is more to do with where it happened as opposed to how serious it is.

Advertisement