Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince of Persia 2D Reboot

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

New Prince Of Persia In Development At Ubisoft
    http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2363508/new_prince_of_persia_in_development_at_ubisoft.html
    A new 2D Prince of Persia game is being developed using the UbiArt framework used for Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends according to reports.

Published on Apr 17, 2014
    A new Prince of Persia game is currently being developed by Ubisoft, according to Le Portail Du Jeu Video.
    The site say that sources have told them that the new Prince of Persia game will be 2D and will be developed using the UbiArt framework used to develop Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.
    The game will allegedly "use the same techniques of animation [used] in the last Rayman, ie the body of the prince is divided into several parts (torso , pelvis, leg, shin , foot, forearm, hands, etc.)" and will be animated independently.
    The site says that the Prince of Persia game will include all the elements you'd expect, from wall jumping to sword play.
    I think the original Prince of Persia was one of the first PC games I ever played at a cousins house as I only had a C64, not that I complained :)
    I absolutely love the game and had given up on a faithful remake (I missed the Xbox 360 remake version as I've no console) given Ubisoft made such a mess of the last 3D version, and appeared to abandoned the franchise. Yippee.. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

would rather see, sands of time rebooted
    love that game :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought to myself "wow, it has been ages since I last played Sands of Time", and had a quick check to see if I still had it / it wad still installed. Not that pushed about this news, looking forward to giving SoT another spin though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look forward to seeing how he dies... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ah Prince of Persia... never really got far in that game 25 years ago... Simply because I lost my manual and the damn game had this check you had to input with reference to the manual else you can't play further >_<;

Probably won't still XD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The fact that this is being developed with the UbiArt engine is what has me excited to be honest. I imagine this will be made at Ubisoft Montpellier too so it should be interesting to see what a team outside of Montreal handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Where's the sequel to the 2008 PoP?

Last one I played was the excellent Wii exclusive

CastorTroy wrote: »

There won't be one unfortunately and no definitive reason was ever given. Looking at the sales figures, it sold over two million copies which, despite being impressive, pales in comparison to Assassins Creed's five million plus sales over the same period. With that in mind I imagine they decided to concentrate on AC as their third person free runner'em up franchise going forward.

As for the Wii game you played, that was the port of the better-than-Warrior-Within-but-not-quite-as-magical-as-Sands-of-Time, Two Thrones which was the final chapter in that particular trilogy.

Then there was Forgotten Sands, which took place between the first and second games in the SoT trilogy while being released around the same time as the Bruckheimer-produced PoP movie. From what I remember, sales for this entry were pretty bad and I imagine it was this which effectively put a nail in the coffin for the series. What makes this sting all the more is that the game was released with sweet **** all promotion, leading many, including myself, to initially believe it was a movie tie-in, which it wasn't. What it was, however, was a cash-in and despite being an extremely solid title in many respects, it was just, to be honest, pointless in the grand scheme of things. Certainly worth playing if you're a fan of the series but ultimately a sad way to end the series to date. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gizmo wrote: »
    As for the Wii game you played, that was the port of the better-than-Warrior-Within-but-not-quite-as-magical-as-Sands-of-Time, Two Thrones which was the final chapter in that particular trilogy.

Nah was the Wii version of Forgotten Sands. Was a completely different game than the other consoles/PC, which I also played. New story and powers designed with the Wiimote in mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    The fact that this is being developed with the UbiArt engine is what has me excited to be honest.

I never thought I'd ever get to the point when the announcement that a game is going to be made with a particular engine would make me squeal with glee, but UbiArt is just that darn magnificent. An absolutely majestic piece of tech, and hopefully Child of Light will be a worthy sophomore outing for it (well, counting the Rayman games as one outing!). Prince of Persia is a natural fit too, so hopefully the artists can work their wonderful witchcraft with the most beautiful of all current game engines.

Nah was the Wii version of Forgotten Sands. Was a completely different game than the other consoles/PC, which I also played. New story and powers designed with the Wiimote in mind.
    Ah, neat! I wasn't are they were so different at all. When you said exclusive I just assumed you meant the Two Thrones port because it was the only one to get a different name for the Wii. :)
    I never thought I'd ever get to the point when the announcement that a game is going to be made with a particular engine would make me squeal with glee, but UbiArt is just that darn magnificent. An absolutely majestic piece of tech, and hopefully Child of Light will be a worthy sophomore outing for it (well, counting the Rayman games as one outing!). Prince of Persia is a natural fit too, so hopefully the artists can work their wonderful witchcraft with the most beautiful of all current game engines.
    To be honest, Child of Light could play absolutely horribly and from what I've seen so far, I'd still happily get it just to watch someone else play through it. It really does look utterly beautiful.

Oh and don't forget, there's Valiant Hearts to look forward to as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

thought that was a smashing game myself too.

I'm definitely looking forward to this new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't played a Prince of Persia game since Sands of Time, such a great game, one of the first to exploit all three dimensions to create puzzles, and a lovely art style too.
    I have the trilogy for the PS2 as well but have never played it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,762 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    would rather see, sands of time rebooted
    love that game :P

SOT was good, the combat gets really formulaic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

More PoP is always a good thing, if you ask me. It's a series that constantly reinvents itself, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the not-so-better. I'm not sure if the independent limbs gig would work with Prince of Persia though. It looked kinda awkward ok Rayman, but worked well because out suited his cartoony style. It'll new interesting to see how it takes to the Prince's animation.

Advertisement