Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn back time

• 18-04-2014 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

If you could. What player would you love to have back at your club as an 18 or 19 year old starting off his career again. Just one player (no multiple choices)

For me for Ireland It would have to be Paul McgGrath

and for leeds it would be Gary McAllister

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Liverpool: Steven Gerrard, he'll be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Liverpool: Steven Gerrard, he'll be sorely missed.

Not gone yet but yeah when he is he is gone it will be a long time before Liverpool replace him. Also one of the last times you will see a player stay as loyal to one club.

Tough question if it's only 1 but I'll go with Graham Sounness even if he was a bit before my time , had everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously for Ireland it'd be Roy Keane. No reason for anyone else. Never seen a player carry a team so much as him in 2001 against Portugal and Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

For Everton it would be Tim Cahill. Gave everything and scored so many important goals. Not the most skilful but a warrior who would play through injuries and a complete gent as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

It's a tough choice at Man United but I'd probably go with Scholes as he'd solve our midfield problems overnight or maybe Ronaldo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Roy Keane for both club and country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ireland : Roy Keane - for explanation required
    Liverpool : Sami Hyypia - He's just what we need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Blue giant wrote: »
    It's a tough choice at Man United but I'd probably go with Scholes as he'd solve our midfield problems overnight or maybe Ronaldo either.

Scholes could probably come back tomorrow and improve the midfield! Interesting when he was in the studio and he said that he needed pace in the side in order for him to play well and utilise his passing. In that regard, Ronnie might be the best bet for United.

Anyway, I've been in mental turmoil trying to decide on which Liverpool player I would most want, looking at the current side now. Was tempted to go with Barnes, but I think needs outweigh the potential excitement, and I'd probably go with Souness. Considered Hansen, and even Hyypia, too, but ultimately it came down to Gerrard and Souness, and I feel Souness would add more to this side and allow the players in front of him to do more.

I know Gerrard is doing well in the DM role since he moved, but realistically its only a half a season he has played there. Souness would dominate from the position in a way that Gerrard has never quite, and would be a great platform for Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez and co to build from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Ken de Mange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

City: John O'Flynn or Kevin Doyle. Both fantastic players, particularly Flynny when he was with us at his peak (and playing regularly). Not that we're failing up front at the moment or anything, but him ten years ago would walk into any club in the country. Maybe Michael Devine or Harrington, too, but again, we're doing fairly well with McNulty in goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously for Ireland it'd be Roy Keane. No reason for anyone else. Never seen a player carry a team so much as him in 2001 against Portugal and Holland.

Ii'd be a shame to pick him as the player to bring back only for him to walk out again..

djPSB wrote: »
    Ii'd be a shame to pick him as the player to bring back only for him to walk out again..

Oh no you didn't!

djPSB exiting the thread.

FNuo4eX.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    City: John O'Flynn or Kevin Doyle. Both fantastic players, particularly Flynny when he was with us at his peak (and playing regularly). Not that we're failing up front at the moment or anything, but him ten years ago would walk into any club in the country. Maybe Michael Devine or Harrington, too, but again, we're doing fairly well with McNulty in goal.

Id nearly go Alan Bennett I think or Pat Morley.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In about 5 years, it'll be Robbie Keane for Ireland.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Barca fan, simple question, easy answer... Puyol and boy god do they need a defender of his mold right now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Even if it was for only 5 years, he'd do more than most would in a full career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kevin Phillips without a doubt. We'd be comfortably safe this season with his goals, instead we're going down because we don't score any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Kenny Dalglish. I know he's not what we need right now, but it's Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So many to choose from.
    Keane, Scholes or Robson coming into their prime would be a godsend at this moment but I just can't look past Ronaldo. He would paper over the cracks that the others could fill anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Barnes or Beardsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Terry for me, this season he has proved he's still got plenty in the tank, but if I wanted to see anyone have their time round again it would be him.
    He's an absolute warrior of a player and he's a born leader to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id nearly go Alan Bennett I think or Pat Morley.

Alan Bennett would be a good shout, alright. We don't have much depth in centre back at the moment, so adding Bennett there would be a definite improvement.

I thought our centre midfield was strong in depth, but without Healy and Buckley last week against Sligo, Ndo had the run of the place. So, Dave Barry would have been a good inclusion and wouldn't have let that happen.

At the rate we're going, we'll just bring back our all-time starting eleven. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

RayCon wrote: »
    Ireland : Roy Keane - for explanation required
    Liverpool : Sami Hyypia - He's just what we need right now.

Thought of Sami first thing. He'd be some addition to the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

God would I love Paul McGrath to be able to line up in the current Aston Villa set up, of course he was still playing LOI when he was the age the OP is talking about bringing them back as and we need a McGrath right now. Perhaps need a CM more but cmon it's the man we call GOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

theme song for this thread.
    my choice would be a young stevie gerrard

Mother of Christ.

God damn Cher in my head :mad:

Get out. Get out, ricero!

:pac:

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Has to be Shearer. Even if he is a dull, elbow flailing tosser.

That would be a win for everybody, really. The PL gets a great player, and our TVs get one less boring pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Dennis Bergkamp or Tony Adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll go Rush as he didn't even get a mention, lethal finisher. Moran for Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Barca fan, simple question, easy answer... Puyol and boy god do they need a defender of his mold right now :(

Jesus I thought I had posted in this thread all ready for second there. Sorry Dave but that's my head.

Anyway I had Fowler back in a heartbeat. Wouldn't solve any problems with the current Liverpool squad but he earned the recall after the hattrick against Arsenal.
    And he scored some wonderful goals.
    I'd love to see Le Tisser again, every goal a peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Mother of Christ.

God damn Cher in my head :mad:

Get out. Get out, ricero!

:pac:

How about Aqua and turn back time? Or alternatively Doctor Jones by Aqua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For Chelsea: Lampard in his prime. Dear god, that'd be so good.

For Ireland: Roy Keane. No contest there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For Liverpool Graeme Souness.

For Ireland Liam Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Bobby Charlton..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Billy Bremner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

Ruud van Nistelrooy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ali Benarbia. We got him for a season and a a bit at the tail end of his career (early-mid thirties when he came to us). He was fantastic for us in what is now called the Championship under Kevin Keegan. We stormed our way through that season, scoring (and conceding!) goals for fun. Benarbia was a magician in that side playing alongside Eyal Berkovic in midfield. He did struggle to adapt to the pace of the Premier League the following season, but his age was a contributing factor. I'd have loved to have seen him at us when he was 21-24 years old. And if you're talking about a non-City player, Shearer or Tony Adams in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andrew Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Would love to see Le Tissier back, don't think he was appreciated enough when he was playing...class act on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Being a Newcastle fan you'd expect i pick Shearer but ...

If this is a case of any player that has ever played for the club to comeback as a trainee and spend his entire career at the club ...

I actualky think i'd pick Rob Lee or Gary Speed. Great engine, honest, hard working ... Everything yoh'd want of a player

(Reason I didnt pick Shearer is the rumours that he used to insist x play on one wing and y on the other, as long as he had crosses to challange for he didnt give a fiddlers on whether they tracked back)

And as people are mentioning their national team ....

Belgium : Luc Nilis ... Gifted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dave Barry - by far Cork Citys best ever player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jimmy McGrory for Celtic

Celtic are lacking a classy striker at the moment, too many duds, nearly men and scumbags at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Without doubt Gerrard for Liverpool and Robbie Keane for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Kevin Hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paul Osam

Or Keith Fahey

Do I win ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Drogba Drogba Drogba, just what we need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Being a Newcastle fan you'd expect i pick Shearer but ...

If this is a case of any player that has ever played for the club to comeback as a trainee and spend his entire career at the club ...

I actualky think i'd pick Rob Lee or Gary Speed. Great engine, honest, hard working ... Everything yoh'd want of a player

(Reason I didnt pick Shearer is the rumours that he used to insist x play on one wing and y on the other, as long as he had crosses to challange for he didnt give a fiddlers on whether they tracked back)

And as people are mentioning their national team ....

Belgium : Luc Nilis ... Gifted!

I picked Gary McAllister for my Leeds pick but it was a very close call with Speed. An absolute class act and will always be one of my favourite players

• Advertisement
Advertisement