Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour plays loud music, threatened me

Options
  • 18-04-2014 5:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have been living in rented accommodation for past 14 months. For first 12 months there were no problems at all, however, in the past month a new tenant moved in next door (this property is also owned by our landlord) and this tenant has been causing issues for us.

It began with him and some of his friends going out to the back garden and smoking (we share the garden with them) and making general noise near our living room window and basically being a bit anti-social (there is drinking regularly going on so there is resultant loud speaking and laughter). This was a bit frustrating for us as it felt like bit of an invasion of our privacy as they were very near our window and were making noise. I felt it was inconsiderate of them but I tried to handle it delicately.

I very gently tried to approach this with the tenant when I met him one day. He said he would try to keep it down. This has not really done anything though as he has continued in the same fashion. Very often I am awoken by noise he is making. I next broached the issue to the landlord and asked him to have a quiet word - I made it clear I didn't want it to be considered a complaint against them, just for him to speak to them about it on our behalf as clearly my word with him had not had any effect.

In the past week the tenant has started playing very loud music for hours on end. I again tried to approach him directly (stuck my head out the window and asked him to turn it down). This request was ignored so I again raised the issue with the landlord. He rang the tenant but this only resulted in the music being turned up.

The same thing has happened on several days since and culminated tonight when he played the music until 2 in the morning. His bedroom window was open and it really was like the music player was in the room with me. I shouted down to turn off the music as it was very late at which point he strode out onto the lawn beneath my window and started shouting up at me, it was clear he had been drinking. Amongst many other things he called me queer and a pr*ck. He denied playing the music loudly, even though it clearly is. I recorded the audio of it on my phone. Then he said if he ran me over while I was cycling my bike he wouldn't have any more problems. I also have this threat recorded. He asked me at what times I leave the house (I assume with the intention of knocking me down at that time).

This whole incident has left me very shaken as he seems like quite an aggressive guy. Am at my wits end with all the loud music and now this threatening behaviour is really stressing me. I have never had any trouble with neighbours up until this awful last month and generally keep to myself. Looking for advice on how to handle this as I feel a bit powerless...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

joeyg479 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been living in rented accommodation for past 14 months. For first 12 months there were no problems at all, however, in the past month a new tenant moved in next door (this property is also owned by our landlord) and this tenant has been causing issues for us.

It began with him and some of his friends going out to the back garden and smoking (we share the garden with them) and making general noise near our living room window and basically being a bit anti-social (there is drinking regularly going on so there is resultant loud speaking and laughter). This was a bit frustrating for us as it felt like bit of an invasion of our privacy as they were very near our window and were making noise. I felt it was inconsiderate of them but I tried to handle it delicately.

I very gently tried to approach this with the tenant when I met him one day. He said he would try to keep it down. This has not really done anything though as he has continued in the same fashion. Very often I am awoken by noise he is making. I next broached the issue to the landlord and asked him to have a quiet word - I made it clear I didn't want it to be considered a complaint against them, just for him to speak to them about it on our behalf as clearly my word with him had not had any effect.

In the past week the tenant has started playing very loud music for hours on end. I again tried to approach him directly (stuck my head out the window and asked him to turn it down). This request was ignored so I again raised the issue with the landlord. He rang the tenant but this only resulted in the music being turned up.

The same thing has happened on several days since and culminated tonight when he played the music until 2 in the morning. His bedroom window was open and it really was like the music player was in the room with me. I shouted down to turn off the music as it was very late at which point he strode out onto the lawn beneath my window and started shouting up at me, it was clear he had been drinking. Amongst many other things he called me queer and a pr*ck. He denied playing the music loudly, even though it clearly is. I recorded the audio of it on my phone. Then he said if he ran me over while I was cycling my bike he wouldn't have any more problems. I also have this threat recorded. He asked me at what times I leave the house (I assume with the intention of knocking me down at that time).

This whole incident has left me very shaken as he seems like quite an aggressive guy. Am at my wits end with all the loud music and now this threatening behaviour is really stressing me. I have never had any trouble with neighbours up until this awful last month and generally keep to myself. Looking for advice on how to handle this as I feel a bit powerless...

you have my deepest sympathy. you really do.
    the man is a bully and the more you challenge this type the more they act up.

you have to be very firm. mr nice guy gets trampled on as you have learned.

he is making threats of violence so call the gardai or better still go to the local garda station, ask to speak to the sergeant; great that you have recorded it so take that with you. they will probably say it is a civil matter but they will record it.

noise nuisance is a matter for the environmental health dept of your local council. best to approach them and also contact the epa, see their web site..environmental protection agency. scuse not putting url; working one handed , broken wrist.

they can ensure the council act and are very efficient.

there are laws about all this and he is breaking them

keep contacting your landlord and make a complaint now. in writing.
    paper trail time.

avoid direct contact with the creature meanwhile; he clearly enjoys being a bully

keep exact records also as you are doing already

and look after yourself. that is vital

all my advice here has been learned, tried and tested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

He has threatened you, that is a matter for the Gardai, as stated above.

Start keeping a log of all incidents, including time and date. Let your landlord know, as it'll be them you'll be going to with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I just dont understand people that act in such incredibly selfish ways like this. I know only too well OP how horrible this situation is , mianly due to the frustration of just trying to get somone to help us with the problem. We found there is very little you can do if your living next to a cretin like your describing who just refuses to be civil. We found the gardai useless and next doors landlord was very hard to find Hopefully your landlord can get in contact with next doors and he might tell the guy to cop on. Hard to believe though this guy will care and prob still keep doing what he is doing.

If your neighbour is blasting music until all hours and in general effecting your quality of life,It can be an incredibly frustrating process.. We actually had to move out due to a similar problem and calling the gardai, landlords etc didnt work. I only say this to make you aware that hoping the problem wont go away wont work as these kinds of neighbours are scumbags so dont just put up with what hes doing. Get right onto as gardai, landlords and hopefully it might cop him on but avoid anymore contact with the guy causing you the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Gardai will have no interest in this and even if they do show up I wouldn't expect anything to change (from years of experience of dealing with a certain northside station and antisocial behaviour when I lived at home). Can't see the council being too interested either (again, similar experiences)

I'd hassle the landlord. This is HIS tenant after all and so it's up to him to ensure the guy complies with noise regulations etc. I'd remind him that you're not paying him to be kept up half the night and being threatened by his other tenants.

But given the above, and the glacier-like speed that any official (complaints) process runs at (unless there's money to be made in it or scandals to cover), I'd probably just move out if it continues.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    The Gardai will have no interest in this and even if they do show up I wouldn't expect anything to change (from years of experience of dealing with a certain northside station and antisocial behaviour when I lived at home). Can't see the council being too interested either (again, similar experiences)

I'd hassle the landlord. This is HIS tenant after all and so it's up to him to ensure the guy complies with noise regulations etc. I'd remind him that you're not paying him to be kept up half the night and being threatened by his other tenants.

But given the above, and the glacier-like speed that any official (complaints) process runs at (unless there's money to be made in it or scandals to cover), I'd probably just move out if it continues.

using epa produces fast results. last time within 48 hours. there are noise regulation laws so no need to be so negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Graces7 wrote: »
    using epa produces fast results. last time within 48 hours. there are noise regulation laws so no need to be so negative.

Way too harsh, the guy was just giving a very honest and frank account of how frustrating the process is and hes is right on the money. Noise regulations laws are certainly present but by the time you have got the forms, filed complaint and actually went to district court to agrue your case the process was way longer than 48 hours!!

Its good advice to get on the EPA however , just google noise regulation laws ireland and ul find some steps you an take OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi,

Not taking away from the latest threats and loud music etc but can you answer a couple of questions please?

What times were these neighbours originally out in their garden having a drink and playing music and enjoying the good weather we have been having?

Were they originally doing anything wrong at all? it seems you don't want neighbours who have a good time in their home and garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

The threat IS a matter for the gardai, and they will/should take it seriously. If you ring the guards, they'll probably ask you to go down to the station to make a statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The threats are a matter for the gardai and if the OP is homosexual he can also lodge a complaint for hate speech. Death threats are taken seriously by the Gardai and will be acted upon. If not then talk to someone more senior.

OP, talk to the Landlord again. He is responsible for the anti social behaviour of his tenants (under Ireland's bizaare laws). He needs to deal with it now. If the situation doesn't change then tell your landlord you are lodging a complaint against him to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joeyg479

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses, a few supportive words make such difference when you feel like your on the floor. I have called the landlord and made the events known to him. I will now email him on all the events with date and time info and I am also going to attach the audio files so he can hear both the over-the-top music being played late at night but also the very serious threats the tenant made.

The Landlord has said he has had to give previous warnings to this tenant (even though he's only been there a month!) and he will now take action. Obviously the tenant has a month legally before he needs to vacate premesis (as I understand it) so this might be a bit difficult of a time.

I'm going to report the incident to the Gardai, I don't expect any action, nor do I want any, but at least it will be on record. I don't know how serious his threat was but it rattled me a lot. I just hope this will be the end of it.

Foggy, I understand the point you're making and I would never deny anyone the opportunity to enjoy themselves, but they have done it late at night at times and as I have already said it is a shared garden and they were loitering right next to our windows at times and making racket. I asked the tenant politely if he would use the front door for smoking but for some reason he was completely against this. Again, nothing illegal or even technically wrong, just very inconsiderate. And so after my quiet word with him did not work, I asked the Landlord to do same, again, I emphasised to him that I was not making an official complaint or anything. It was after this, everything escalated. You're just going to have to take my word for it that he was making our lives very difficult. We're not ones to moan unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

For the record, I'm not a homosexual.

Those are words I didn't see myself typing today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Landlord has said he has had to give previous warnings to this tenant (even though he's only been there a month!) and he will now take action. Obviously the tenant has a month legally before he needs to vacate premesis (as I understand it) so this might be a bit difficult of a time.

In the case of extreme antisocial behaviour on 1 weeks notice is required. If you have the threats recorded then this may be adequate should a case ever be brought.

67.—(1) This section applies where the tenancy is being terminated by the landlord by reason of the failure of the tenant to comply with any of the obligations of the tenancy.

(2) Where this section applies the period of notice to be given by the notice of termination is—

(a) 7 days, if the tenancy is being terminated by reason of behaviour of the tenant that is—
    (i) behaviour falling within paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of “behave in a way that is anti-social” in section 17 (1), or
    (ii) threatening to the fabric of the dwelling or the property containing the dwelling,

From secton 17
    “behave in a way that is anti-social” means—
    (a) engage in behaviour that constitutes the commission of an offence, being an offence the commission of which is reasonably likely to affect directly the well-being or welfare of others,
    (b) engage in behaviour that causes or could cause fear, danger, injury, damage or loss to any person living, working or otherwise lawfully in the dwelling concerned or its vicinity and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, includes violence, intimidation, coercion, harassment or obstruction of, or threats to, any such person

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble Joey, it's not pleasant having to deal with situations like this. You've done the right thing keeping the landlord informed, and do get a record with this pegged down with the gardai. Be on your guard in case he retaliates in anyway, keep your bike and any other possessions out of sight. Your requests to keep down the noise have been reasonable. His actions since then have not been, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

where you you live? Could get a few lads together and have a word with the little fecker :) it's the only thing they understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

truedoom wrote: »
    where you you live? Could get a few lads together and have a word with the little fecker :) it's the only thing they understand.

In your own way I'm sure you mean well, but it's not the best advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

truedoom wrote: »

Posts like this are not tolerated here.

Any other suggestive posts like this will result in a forum ban.

viper006 wrote: »
    Way too harsh, the guy was just giving a very honest and frank account of how frustrating the process is and hes is right on the money. Noise regulations laws are certainly present but by the time you have got the forms, filed complaint and actually went to district court to agrue your case the process was way longer than 48 hours!!

Its good advice to get on the EPA however , just google noise regulation laws ireland and ul find some steps you an take OP.

typing with one hand in considera ble pain imakes for shorter posts, and i hate to see negativity and despair and there are ways to be successful. epa activate the council fast. and council can act fast also with epa behind them and often is is so encouraging to know that something is in progress and that helps us to cope.

it has done so here with this recent problem, believe me. have a small claims court hearing also soon with associated issues with this particular bully

landlord should help too.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In the case of extreme antisocial behaviour on 1 weeks notice is required. If you have the threats recorded then this may be adequate should a case ever be brought.

67.—(1) This section applies where the tenancy is being terminated by the landlord by reason of the failure of the tenant to comply with any of the obligations of the tenancy.

(2) Where this section applies the period of notice to be given by the notice of termination is—

(a) 7 days, if the tenancy is being terminated by reason of behaviour of the tenant that is—
    (i) behaviour falling within paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of “behave in a way that is anti-social” in section 17 (1), or
    (ii) threatening to the fabric of the dwelling or the property containing the dwelling,

From secton 17
    “behave in a way that is anti-social” means—
    (a) engage in behaviour that constitutes the commission of an offence, being an offence the commission of which is reasonably likely to affect directly the well-being or welfare of others,
    (b) engage in behaviour that causes or could cause fear, danger, injury, damage or loss to any person living, working or otherwise lawfully in the dwelling concerned or its vicinity and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, includes violence, intimidation, coercion, harassment or obstruction of, or threats to, any such person

great post. maybe phone threshold too. was thinking he is breaking his lease.
    pen is mightier than sword always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

For the record, I'm not a homosexual.
    Oh dear. No hate speech for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Posts like this are why I like renting. Give it a go with the landlord, bu eventually you may just have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Id just move. Life is too short to deal with a bleep like that.

Ha, No Pants, spent about 10 seconds considering a more subtle way of saying it!

Landlord has followed up on his word and has told the tenant to leave and it seems it will happen sooner rather than later. Have decided to spend the next week at family home, just until everything cools down. The advice I got here was invaluable so thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ha, No Pants, spent about 10 seconds considering a more subtle way of saying it!

Landlord has followed up on his word and has told the tenant to leave and it seems it will happen sooner rather than later. Have decided to spend the next week at family home, just until everything cools down. The advice I got here was invaluable so thanks again!

That's great news, I'm glad and I hope it works out for you. You sound like a gentle soul that doesn't deserve these troubles. Good luck.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Delighted to hear that joey.

wonderful when a landlord gets it right

Bravo for your LL man. Hope the guy leaves quietly

Advertisement