Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options beyond maternity leave

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Apologies if this would be more suited to the Employment forum but I thought I would get more first hand experience here.

My sister is on 11 months maternity leave from a full time role and isn't sure that she will be ready to go back when the time comes. Does anyone have experience of their job offering additional leave (a career break or something like that) or are the options firmly you either come back or you don't? She had a multiple birth so returning part-time wouldn't be ideal given the cost of creche for 3 children!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some jobs can offer a career break I'm sure but she'd have to speak to management about that. Beyond that, her other options are parental leave ( http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html)
    or as you say, upping sticks and leaving the job.

• Administrators Posts: 14,038 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

When is she due to go back? She could apply for a Leave of Absense or as mentioned Parental Leave. Both need a certain amount of notice to be given though, so if her maternity leave is due to end soon she'd want to contact work sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Once maternity and parental leave options have been exhausted she can ask for further unpaid leave or a career break in which her job will still be secure. This can depend what sector she is in and Whether they allow her to take this or not is completely at the employers discretion. Doesn't hurt to ask! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FrouFrou

Thanks all. She is due to go back in early July so has a little time to think about it. I think she just really doesn't know what to do at this stage - resigning would be a major decision and she's hoping between now and the date she's due to go back that she finds a good childcare provider who can take three of them!

Advertisement