Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Chase on the Mallow road...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The 13 vehicles weren't all chasing the van in some sort of crazy headless chicken caper. They were involved in closing roads, preventing other cars getting in its way etc. they were using stinger strips, which means they had to have cars getting ahead and parking at the side of the road waiting for the van to pass.

The van stole alcohol from vienna woods. They were apparantly blotto, driving at speed around the place, on the wrong side of the road. Managed to sideswipe three cars on parnell place i think? First priority was to prevent some member of the public getting killed. Which they did.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Indeed. What's your source for that pwurple?

Um, Rte bloody news. He's been seriously injured and is in hospital. Not what I would call "ok".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

hoodwinked wrote: »
    all the media outlets were reporting he was ok :( i hope they didn't get it wrong

Various media described his injuries as "serious but not life-threatening".

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I might be in a minority but I fully agree with pwurple here. I had the same thoughts - you need many vehicles to ensure public safety, use stingers etc. The motorcycle Garda was doing exactly this when he was injured. It said on the news that he had serious but not life-threatening injuries. It still sounds like they might be life-changing and that a 35 year person going about their work might not be able to return for a long period. Think of his wife and young family. I have to feel for them here and hope for a full recovery. I don't know him and I have no connection to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

i was driving by the site of the accident and saw the motorcycle he was driving, it was very badly damaged, i was relived to hear the Garda was still alive because honestly the bike was so badly damaged I didn't think he'd be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

pwurple wrote: »
    The 13 vehicles weren't all chasing the van in some sort of crazy headless chicken caper. They were involved in closing roads, preventing other cars getting in its way etc. they were using stinger strips, which means they had to have cars getting ahead and parking at the side of the road waiting for the van to pass.

nope the eye witness said that it was the way it happened, it wasn't 13 cars on the scene, there were 13 cars just chasing the van, behind it, not in front not keeping people safe there were other cars and bikes and vans doing that.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Various media described his injuries as "serious but not life-threatening".

i suppose it depends on what they mean by serious, like i would consider a broken arm to be a serious but not life threatening injury,

i really hope he is ok, either way from the papers today it's looking like he was very brave! fair play to him we need more gardaí like him, and i hope he recovers soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Here is a link mentioning the injuries, the two are in court, they will more than likely be charged with feck all as seems to happen a lot in irish courts!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-due-in-court-following-high-speed-chase-in-cork-628270.html
    The Garda has back, rib and neck injuries after the accident, it's not unusual to have a large number of vehicles chasing one person, and if they have actually rammed at least two Garda already they need to be stopped, not a waste of resources at all I don't think,

I guess by "ok" you meant "not dead" then? I thought you meant unharmed.

Anyway, i would hope they get charged with attempted murder. Fat chance I suppose, but that's what I would take ramming someone off a motorcycle to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

In point of fact it would be attempted manslaughter, unless you think the (apparently quite stupid) muppet responsible has been /planning/ to kill the Garda.

If you're going to continue to be alarmist, at least /try/ to be accurate. Or get a job with the Star, they'd love you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

In point of fact it would be attempted manslaughter, unless you think the (apparently quite stupid) muppet responsible has been /planning/ to kill the Garda.

If you're going to continue to be alarmist, at least /try/ to be accurate. Or get a job with the Star, they'd love you.

Or the Irish Times…

Gardaí corned the van after it went on to the old Killeens road. Both the driver and passenger, who are aged 28 and 27 and from the Fairhill area of Cork, were arrested and taken to Gurranebraher Garda station for questioning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tributes-paid-to-garda-who-helped-save-lives-during-high-speed-chase-1.1767200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Oh dear i have a feeling that the courts are not going to give these guys the kind of sentence they deserve.

But then that is not surprising in this country.

Depends whether they deliberately ran him down or not. If you take aim and try to mow down gardai (and it sounds like they had a go at a few of them) then I'd call it intentional.

Several mainstream links to the man being injured have been posted, what are you going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Isn't 'attempted manslaughter' an oxymoron? If he deliberately drove at him I'd say attempted murder would be about right, even if it wasn't premeditated. Plenty of people in prison for murder even if it was a spur of the moment decision. Manslaughter means you didn't intend to kill, not that you didn't 'plan' to kill. Would be hard to argue that was the case if you drive at someone at high speed deliberately (no idea if that was the case here obviously.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-remanded-in-custody-in-connection-with-high-speed-pursuit-628300.html

They are both reminded in custody, they said sorry and all the clowns, they should be dropped into the river,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hope the garda is okay. They could have killed him and put countless other people in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kub wrote: »
    Oh dear i have a feeling that the courts are not going to give these guys the kind of sentence they deserve.

But then that is not surprising in this country.

They haven't been convicted of anything in relation to to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

13 garda cars apparently in pursuit of a white van,

this city is getting worse lately for crime, yet we can have 13 garda cars on a car chase through the county?????

am i the only one who thinks this is crazy???

http://www.redfm.ie/news/garda-struck-white-van-mallow-road/

Well the problem is,, if it was one Guarda car and the chase went on until somebody else got hurt or got killed,, the first thing people would be moaning about is where were all the Guarda!!!!

STEINBERG wrote: »
    Well the problem is,, if it was one Guarda car and the chase went on until somebody else got hurt or got killed,, the first thing people would be moaning about is where were all the Guarda!!!!

ah i understand that too, i mean 3 or 4 giving chase surely would be enough?, with the others maybe trying to block/keep the oncoming traffic safe as opposed to sending the guys on bikes to do that i'd get, i just thought it was crazy to have 13 in pursuit of one van, when surely they could have sent half off to do something else,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

ah i understand that too, i mean 3 or 4 giving chase surely would be enough?, with the others maybe trying to block/keep the oncoming traffic safe as opposed to sending the guys on bikes to do that i'd get, i just thought it was crazy to have 13 in pursuit of one van, when surely they could have sent half off to do something else,

If we have an early morning situation where a car is driving at high-speed through the city bouncing off other cars and driving across bridges the wrong way, I don't have an issue with Gardai throwing every available car at it tbh. There weren't any other major issues happening at that time afaik. If they, for example, only dedicated two or three cars to the chase while others were carrying out checkpoints and if a mother and children were killed as a result we would be having a worse argument now.

As far as I can see, the Guards threw everything into this and one of them was badly injured trying to keep members of the public safe. Why are we even discussing this. What was happening at that time that the 13 vehicles should have been doing instead??

WHL wrote: »
    If we have an early morning situation where a car is driving at high-speed through the city bouncing off other cars and driving across bridges the wrong way, I don't have an issue with Gardai throwing every available car at it tbh. There weren't any other major issues happening at that time afaik. If they, for example, only dedicated two or three cars to the chase while others were carrying out checkpoints and if a mother and children were killed as a result we would be having a worse argument now.

As far as I can see, the Guards threw everything into this and one of them was badly injured trying to keep members of the public safe. Why are we even discussing this. What was happening at that time that the 13 vehicles should have been doing instead??

taking different routes to get ahead of the van? making sure the other end of that road was being cleared? blocking other exit roads from the mallow road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id say use as many as they feel they need.

what was the van

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

evilivor wrote: »
    They haven't been convicted of anything in relation to to it yet.

I have a few excuses ready to help them get off.

1. Product of broken home
    2. Unemployed i.e never worked and never will
    3. Not working at the moment i.e. to give impression that they had actually worked at some time
    4. abused as a child
    5. alcoholic/drug addict

My heart bleeds for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I have a few excuses ready to help them get off.

1. Product of broken home
    2. Unemployed i.e never worked and never will
    3. Not working at the moment i.e. to give impression that they had actually worked at some time
    4. abused as a child
    5. alcoholic/drug addict

My heart bleeds for them

And 6. (This of course being common practice) These lads are 'known to Gardai', we all know that means that they have been to court many times and have availed of the fabulous free legal aid scheme. So it does not cost them any money for a solicitor and barrister.

Now this is where it gets interesting, the vast majority of solicitors and barristers are self employed people running business's.

So it is not exactly good for business when their clients receive long prison sentences. Much better to give them soft sentences so that they are back out doing what they do best. It is good for business, its called repeat revenue.

Now before any liberals come on and moan that they are entitled to legal representation. I agree they are, but why should i as a tax payer keep paying out for scrotes like these appearing in court rooms every few months.
    Let a guy have his first few appearances/ cases free, but if it goes beyond a certain amount then lets face it, he is taking the p***.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

If the Gardai were armed, this chase could have been a lot shorter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I think you might benefit from a little more reading on the law, sentencing and the legal aid system. I don't think you've fully grasped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,368 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No Pants wrote: »

Eh, no.

Have you any idea of the conditions under which Gardai can fire at people? They can't just go around taking potshots at people - and if they did there'd be a scrum of people on here demanding their heads on plates for abusing their powers.

FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They can't just go around taking potshots at people
    Could you please point out where I suggested that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No Pants wrote: »

Like trying to take out a fast moving target is a piece of cake. :rolleyes:

Advertisement