Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trecee

I have two nvq's at level 2 and 5 keyskills qualifications (one of which is communication level 2 which I seen equates to gcse English)
    Problem is - I don't have the equivalent to the maths gcse.

Does anyone know where I can do gcse maths or keyskills/ essential skills in application of number level 2 asap?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

trecee wrote: »
    I have two nvq's at level 2 and 5 keyskills qualifications (one of which is communication level 2 which I seen equates to gcse English)
    Problem is - I don't have the equivalent to the maths gcse.

Does anyone know where I can do gcse maths or keyskills/ essential skills in application of number level 2 asap?
    Thanks

That's a tricky one trecee.

In the last campaign you needed an IT qualification. However, as long as it was dated before start of December you were alright. In other words you had about two months to get it.

Hopefully someone else can help you here. If not email them and ask if you have time in which to get qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trecee

I read on their site that if you are going to sit any exams that you will have to have passed them by 14th September but as far as I know the courses in Belfast met only begin around that date in September :(

I see what you mean. You might struggle to get registered in time for a GCSE Maths exam.

Perhaps it will be easier to get the equivalent; Key Skill in Application of Number Level 2.

Give your local Tech a call and see what they recommend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

My brother has been looking at doing the Essential Skills Numeracy, so that he can apply this time round but they all seem to finish in January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Homers suggestion is the best bet I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Do you not have to declare on your application now if you have the stated qualifications?

the411 wrote: »
    Do you not have to declare on your application now if you have the stated qualifications?

Yes but it also says; 'Please note that all certificates must be dated on or before 14th September 2014.'

So you'd be safe enough provided your certificate is before the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Jeez I was only a lurker back then, still stings how C16 ended though.

You can say that again. Heartbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Round 2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 noelsam

Just got my application submitted. Now the hard work begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 butterflywingz

Randomly decided to check PSNI website today and found out they are recruiting again! Last month I failed my PCA by a few seconds. Had no idea they'd be recruiting again so soon! Dreading going through all of it again, but, I won't fail the PCA this time! Good luck everyone!!

Randomly decided to check PSNI website today and found out they are recruiting again! Last month I failed my PCA by a few seconds. Had no idea they'd be recruiting again so soon! Dreading going through all of it again, but, I won't fail the PCA this time! Good luck everyone!!

I know I came across it randomly too, I conked out at assesment centre few months ago...I think I was completely missing what they were actually marking on or something...I'm also doing all of this from outside of Ireland so not only does it cost me a fortune just to fail I didn't quite get the accent, so I missed marks right from the get-go on the first part of the assesment just by not being able to get what the dude was saying...(trying not to reveal it there but still explain, those who did it should know what stage I mean)

It wasn't like they were speaking french but I just didn't catch things so fast...something I can pick up later if they let me in but because it's marked I lost out on loads of points

Good luck for next time. I got a very high grade at assessment centre, and I had been working towards my PCA but got a pretty bad illness that knocked my training out the window weeks before....and I think that was what shaved off my few seconds. (4 seconds).I went to a little course on the assessment centre and found it really helpful. Even if you can buy a book, it'll give you the stuff you need to look out for. I thought I'd failed it, so I have no idea how I walked out with the grade I did. Alas it didn't do any good, I still failed!! Have kicked myself for 2 months. Excited to get chance to try again!!

Yea it's crud, being weak at one part of the entire process, I passed every single thing once to work as a special in the mainland(unpaid but with police powers) and then they just drop kicked me on vetting(the day before collecting uniform to start training, and i disagreed with their decision too but it was vetting so it never gets overturned no matter what), i've also failed applications just on competency assesment at the application stage, this is my 5th police related application attempt(to be fair i just started my 4th though, so I'm doing two at once right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

PutItDown wrote: »
    I know I came across it randomly too, I conked out at assesment centre few months ago...I think I was completely missing what they were actually marking on or something...I'm also doing all of this from outside of Ireland so not only does it cost me a fortune just to fail I didn't quite get the accent, so I missed marks right from the get-go on the first part of the assesment just by not being able to get what the dude was saying...(trying not to reveal it there but still explain, those who did it should know what stage I mean)

It wasn't like they were speaking french but I just didn't catch things so fast...something I can pick up later if they let me in but because it's marked I lost out on loads of points

Youtube 'Give My Head Peace' and get watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Cromlech wrote: »
    Youtube 'Give My Head Peace' and get watching.

No job is worth putting yourself through this :)

Also, just to annoy everyone thought I'd share 1 of the questions from the info session I attended:

'When we get in how long do we have to stay in for?'

*sighs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

Also, just to annoy everyone thought I'd share 1 of the questions from the info session I attended:

*sighs*[/QUOTE]
    wtf??!:eek: not even in and want to know when can get out?!?!?:rolleyes:

vickmackey wrote: »

*sighs*
    wtf??!:eek: not even in and want to know when can get out?!?!?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yep. Would depress ye alright.

All of the questions began with the words 'when we get in..' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

vickmackey wrote: »

*sighs*
    wtf??!:eek: not even in and want to know when can get out?!?!?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Apparently 4 weeks compulsory stay mon-fri home at weekends.

• Advertisement

Mop a top wrote: »
    wtf??!:eek: not even in and want to know when can get out?!?!?:rolleyes:

Apparently 4 weeks compulsory stay mon-fri home at weekends.[/QUOTE]

be a tough time away from family.:(....but worth it in the long run if one of the very lucky ones!!!:cool:

I really think some people underestimate how hard it is to actually get in and how lucky they are when they do! Some folk are in for a little shock! I'm surprised I actually got to the PCA last time. Here's hoping this time I actually get through - last time feels a fluke! haha.

best of luck !!! .... its such a loooooooong wait and every small step is so crucial! you are right, people have no idea!

Definately. It's bizarre though I'm literally just out of the last campaign after losing out on circuits in PCA last month, and now got the chance to go through it all again. I really didn't think they'd have another campaign out so soon. I think some people just go through the process without really thinking. I've read in the forums of people getting into the induction and leaving on their first day or not turning up. Incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

I've read in the forums of people getting into the induction and leaving on their first day or not turning up. Incredible!

Seems a lot have either failed Medicals or not shown up at induction / the big day - only around 41/48 in squad one and 30 odd into squad two so far.

defo seems incredible that people would waste all that time and money and effort to get to the stage that so many are fighting for, to simply decide "nah, its not for me"!!!
    i do believe though, that there are alot of people, of all ages, who will get a heck of a shock as they do not really seem to know what they are letting themselves in for -- its a scary world out there!! and some people dont live in the real world, so will be a frightening reality check! .....
    but they should have thought harder and done more proper research before getting to that stage.

I really think some people underestimate how hard it is to actually get in and how lucky they are when they do! Some folk are in for a little shock! I'm surprised I actually got to the PCA last time. Here's hoping this time I actually get through - last time feels a fluke! haha.

This is true. I've put in maximum effort at every stage but still feel lucky to have gotten this far, especially at IST stage which people probably think is a gimme.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Q for yas. Second application for me, didn't really think of this the last time but... Does your application form (ie personal statements) have any bearing on your place on the merit list?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

.S. wrote: »
    Q for yas. Second application for me, didn't really think of this the last time but... Does your application form (ie personal statements) have any bearing on your place on the merit list?

No the only things counted are your score at AC and if you have the same mark as another candidate then they take your IST score into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Great, thanks

Advertisement