Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

Application just in, way easier and quicker than I imagined, they said you have an hour at the info session but it's actually 90mins, had my certs ready to put in results but it was just a tick a box exercise, and exactly 150 words for both statements :) now just to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Only thing I hate is role plays...and yea, all police assessments seem to have them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

PutItDown wrote: »
    Only thing I hate is role plays...and yea, all police assessments seem to have them....

Role plays are the best training technique apart from being out there in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 board_stupid

Hi guys,

Sorry if I ask a lot of annoying questions that have been addressed previously in this thread or other threads. Today received word from An Garda Síochana that I failed my Stage 4 interview, this was the final stage of the recruitment process before the final panel of new recruits was handed over to AGS, so I am very disappointed.

I am now going to apply to join the PSNI. One thing I am very surprised about is people saying they failed concluding stages of the last PSNI recruitment drive earlier this year, and now have the opportunity to reapply through a new recruitment drive. This is a marked difference from the situation with the Gardaí, where there's been a moratorium on recruitment for five years. Failing the interview stage means I haven't got any chance of a career with AGS until the next recruitment drive, which will likely not be for another 5 years.

Anyhow, I would like to ask these candidates of exactly what the recruitment process comprises. How many stages are there? What aptitude tests are we required to take? At what point are candidates invited to a test centre to partake in supervised tests and role play exercises? How many candidates are cut at each stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Hi guys,

Sorry if I ask a lot of annoying questions that have been addressed previously in this thread or other threads. Today received word from An Garda Síochana that I failed my Stage 4 interview, this was the final stage of the recruitment process before the final panel of new recruits was handed over to AGS, so I am very disappointed.

I am now going to apply to join the PSNI. One thing I am very surprised about is people saying they failed concluding stages of the last PSNI recruitment drive earlier this year, and now have the opportunity to reapply through a new recruitment drive. This is a marked difference from the situation with the Gardaí, where there's been a moratorium on recruitment for five years. Failing the interview stage means I haven't got any chance of a career with AGS until the next recruitment drive, which will likely not be for another 5 years.

Anyhow, I would like to ask these candidates of exactly what the recruitment process comprises. How many stages are there? What aptitude tests are we required to take? At what point are candidates invited to a test centre to partake in supervised tests and role play exercises? How many candidates are cut at each stage?

sorry to hear about what happened with the ags, my best advice would be to look at the join psni website, it explains everything for you and what the processes are. Wish you the best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LM3003

So... here we go again.

second application for me as apparently i failed my role play which brough me 1 mark below the cut of.

does anyone know how to prepare for a role play better?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Role plays are hard to prepare for I think. It largely comes down to your performance on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

That's my second application submitted. I'm still part of the delay batch and would love to hear back from that beforehand but if I need to do it all again I will. Fingers crossed for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjboyle96

Can someone explain exactly what happens during role play? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Forum rules there mate, no one can tell you exactly what happens. There is a thread dedicated to it though so have a read there you should get the gist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

You won't know until the day of to be honest. Anyone who has sat the AC had signed a confidentiality agreement so we can't say much anyway.

If you pass the IST you get a briefing in the results email of what to expect and what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjboyle96

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Forum rules there mate, no one can tell you exactly what happens. There is a thread dedicated to it though so have a read there you should get the gist.

well i didnt mean "exactly" just like, what is it? Thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

jjboyle96 wrote: »
    well i didnt mean "exactly" just like, what is it? Thanks though

It's just as it suggests - a role play with actors in relation to a certain made-up scenario or situation.

As above, we can't get into specifics and it'd also be unfair to divulge what happens at AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

It's not really that bad, just think logically and think before you speak, that's how I got through it. As much as I'd like to help I really don't fancy losing a spot at GV or worse. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

the411 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be impolite, and I usually refrain from making personal remarks on the forum. However, I don't think it is appropriate for individuals to be coming on here and asking for help or guidance from other candidates.

I have had to go through the process on my own, as have many others, with little to no help.

This is a competition and we are advised not to discuss the format or content of any of the stages.

As I said, I don't mean to come across as harsh.

But you're exactly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

There's nothing wrong with helping each other out without breaking the rules if it's a valid question but it is really annoying when people ask a question that has been answered a hundred times before without even looking through some of the other threads. Most of this information is in other threads or on the joinpsni website!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

I don't mean to be impolite, and I usually refrain from making personal remarks on the forum. However, I don't think it is appropriate for individuals to be coming on here and asking for help or guidance from other candidates.

I have had to go through the process on my own, as have many others, with little to no help.

This is a competition and we are advised not to discuss the format or content of any of the stages.

As I said, I don't mean to come across as harsh.

Don't ask don't get mate....people can ask all they like, it's up to everyone else if they say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

That's my application filled out again, i'll be better prepared for the assessment centre this time that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Anyone got a confirmation email yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

jjboyle96 wrote: »
    Can someone explain exactly what happens during role play? thank you

I'll tell all.

First you go in full of hope and excitement :)
    Then you roll your eyes at other applicants who can't follow simple instructions such as 'do not turn over the papers' :rolleyes:
    The next few hours are a blur :eek:
    Finally you leave in tears, a broken man/woman :(:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MissJC13

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Anyone got a confirmation email yet?

It said 10 working days on the thing, so I guess the first emails will be out on the 11th June?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Homer01 wrote: »
    I'll tell all.

Then you roll your eyes at other applicants who can't follow simple instructions such as 'do not turn over the papers' :rolleyes:

Got it in one Homer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Homer01 wrote: »
    I'll tell all.

Such true words!! Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Hi all im new to this forum and have a question to ask. I cant see it posted in any of the other threads so I going to post it up.

Do you have to pay back the cost of training if you leave within the first two years? A friend told me he had heard you had to do this and the fee was £50k. If its true I would imagine alot of people would have second thoughts about appying.

I know Belfast Harbour Police have this in place,but I dont think its as much as 50k!

Cheers.

Belfast_B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

I have never heard this. I doubt it's the case

I have never heard this. I doubt it's the case

Hi Thanks for your reply. I spoke to my friend again in work about it. He said his friend is a serving PSNI officer and thats who he had heard it from. Perhaps they are thinking of bringing it in.

Belfast Harbour Police state-

Any costs and expenses paid for your Police Constable training are recoverable from you if you leave BHC within two years of successfully completing your probationary period. Costs will be recovered as follows:• in full if you leave BHC during or within one year of completion of your probationary period.• 50% if you leave BHC within two years of completion of your probationary period.

Cheers Belfast_B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

It's something they may consider in the future but not for this campaign.

If it was valid for this campaign it most certainly would be mentioned in the application.

I personally think it's a good idea although £50k is a bit much. Of course it should be assessed on an individual basis. If someone wants out because they didn't realise they had to wear a uniform then slap them with a bill!! However, if someone has very real and genuine changes in their life that would force them to leave that is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I think there is a thread somewhere listing the top ten reasons why recruits have left on the first day. Worth a read

• Advertisement

oztop1234 wrote: »
    I think there is a thread somewhere listing the top ten reasons why recruits have left on the first day. Worth a read

Yea I had a look at that earlier some funny reasons on it.

Advertisement