Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

I also think it's a good idea but as you say it depends why they want to leave.
    Yea if its something daft like "I want to leave as I have to carry a weapon" hit them with the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MissJC13

Completely unrelated to current convo, but just had a friend who is also applying ask me. He is self employed and has his own business - if he gets into the psni does he have to close his business down (even if he isn't going to continue actively working, just having people work for his company)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

It'll depend on the business type and I think it's a case by case kind of thing.

I have just received the vetting forms and it does ask about business interests on them

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

MissJC13 wrote: »
    Completely unrelated to current convo, but just had a friend who is also applying ask me. He is self employed and has his own business - if he gets into the psni does he have to close his business down (even if he isn't going to continue actively working, just having people work for his company)?

No. They can still run the business, they just have to declare it to the PSNI, just incase any conflict of interest comes up. I have one friend in the job who runs a side business with no hassle from the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

oztop1234 wrote: »
    It'll depend on the business type and I think it's a case by case kind of thing.

I have just received the vetting forms and it does ask about business interests on them

Yes I think it is down to the Chief Constable to decide, depending on what the business is.

• Advertisement

Yes I think it is down to the Chief Constable to decide, depending on what the business is.

Thanks folks :) will let him know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

are the role plays the type of situation you might be expected to find yourself in on the street ? Is it not a big unfair to expect someone to play the role of a cop in a roleplay which occurs well before any official training ? Or is this accounted for with a roleplay involving communication between people e.g cop and suspect/member of public requiring assistance but not requiring any official steps learned from training ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Can't really give specifics about what happens at AC.

popolive wrote: »
    are the role plays the type of situation you might be expected to find yourself in on the street ? Is it not a big unfair to expect someone to play the role of a cop in a roleplay which occurs well before any official training ? Or is this accounted for with a roleplay involving communication between people e.g cop and suspect/member of public requiring assistance but not requiring any official steps learned from training ?

The scenarios do not require you to have any previous policing experience, so don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

popolive wrote: »
    You receive basic information about assessment when sent date for it, after passing IST.

we really cant say anymore than that, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

All will be explained when you get that far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

You're probably better going in not knowing anything anyway. Gives you the best chance to react naturally to whatever they give you,

Just don't forget your taser and handcuffs

pepper spray all the way!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

If you want body armor, cuffs and spray you can just do security these days, I'm seeing them issued with all of that...

PutItDown wrote: »
    If you want body armor, cuffs and spray you can just do security these days, I'm seeing them issued with all of that...
    :eek:what??!!!! -- where are we? America!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Yea I was at a fair the other week(mainland) and that's what they carried, I had to look twice thought only police dress like that, only difference was the high vis he was wearing was a security companies name not a police high vis.

I wouldn't worry so much until it's like South Africa and they start carrying automatic weapons and get paid more than the police :)

PutItDown wrote: »
    Yea I was at a fair the other week(mainland) and that's what they carried, I had to look twice thought only police dress like that, only difference was the high vis he was wearing was a security companies name not a police high vis.

I wouldn't worry so much until it's like South Africa and they start carrying automatic weapons and get paid more than the police :)
    i'll book my flight now!! ;)

the411 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get their ist date
    Is it true they are going back to management situations for the assessment centre?

Did you get your date? No email here yet! When did you put in your application? Got me all nervous now lol

Surely no one will have received an IST date yet, as the closing date for applications isn't until 20/06/14.

Cromlech wrote: »
    Surely no one will have received an IST date yet, as the closing date for applications isn't until 20/06/14.

I'm not sure, at the end of the application, it said you'd have an email within 10 working days of submission with IST date as long as everything on application form was ok? And the ISTs are meant to start around the 5th July so makes sense for them to do it in order of when applications went in so everyone has plenty of notice.
    Unless I've read everything wrong lol

• Advertisement

I never seen that at the end of the application. How do you know when the IST's are supposed to start, I thought they didn't give out that information until they were actually sending you for it.

You could be right and I haven't read things correctly lol.

I never seen that at the end of the application. How do you know when the IST's are supposed to start, I thought they didn't give out that information until they were actually sending you for it.

You could be right and I haven't read things correctly lol.

It's in the guidance for applicants, I have a screen shot of it but don't know how to / if I can get it to send here lol

Really, I must have missed all that lol, must have been the excitement.

Really, I must have missed all that lol, must have been the excitement.

Lol I think I fall into the 'obsessive excited' category haha! But it said -

"We plan to commence the initial selection testing in July 2014, with tests running from 5th July - 15th August"

No problem thanks for the info, hoping to hear soon then.

Lol I think I fall into the 'obsessive excited' category haha! But it said -

"We plan to commence the initial selection testing in July 2014, with tests running from 5th July - 15th August"
    you are spot on -- thats the info they gave, along with the 10 days.... however....
    going on this campaign...
    wouldnt hold them to those timescales!! :eek:

vickmackey wrote: »
    you are spot on -- thats the info they gave, along with the 10 days.... however....
    going on this campaign...
    wouldnt hold them to those timescales!! :eek:

Ohh good I thought I might have been hallucinating lol

Uhoh, I hope they stick to the 10 day thing at least - because If my email isn't here by the 11th My head might explode :) hah

I really need to pay more attention to things, I completely missed all that information when applying.

Ohh good I thought I might have been hallucinating lol

Uhoh, I hope they stick to the 10 day thing at least - because If my email isn't here by the 11th My head might explode :) hah
    i'm excited at the thought of being even more confused by having 2 campaigns to try and keep track of!! :D

• Advertisement

I really need to pay more attention to things, I completely missed all that information when applying.
    :eek: first rule of police work! pay attention!:p
    only joking -- the info is still on the website though.

Advertisement