Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

Homer01 wrote: »
    Well seems odd to me. Can understand bringing them to induction weekend but to the info session?!

Not sure what's 'meeeeeeeeeeoooowww' about that :confused:
    Seems odd to you - -- but obviously not to them.
    nice too see their families showing an interest (even if more concern)

"It's not an after school club you're signing up to " - thats what the meow was about.... its up to them..if they feel they need/want the family backing, then thats up to them - there are some younger people applying who need that support more than others.....

Sthm wrote: »
    Noticed on a popular social media website that someone has posted about them getting past the paper sift stage. Full name and pictures on show.

As like last campaign, there'll always be a few who don't understand discreetness. Absolutely oblivious.
    some dont seem to realise that there needs to be complete privacy and caution at open days (...and even on the forums..):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Homer01 wrote: »
    But you can ask to reschedule ;)

Based on last campaign first to pass AC were first into hotel GV. Last to pass = limbo.

my thoughts as well...I want to be first for everything, last time I was the very last...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Not exactly true. I applied the very last day of application last time round. Got my IST Dec, AC Jan, vetting Mar, PCA April, M&SMT May and I'm in the limbo pool. I just think it's luck of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Hey guys,

Can anyone answer me this as I am a bit confused.

In Northern Ireland you have your GCSE's and you A level's
    And in Republic of Ireland you have your Junior certificate and your Leaving certificate

So am I right in saying this?
    GCSE's = Junior certificate
    A Level's = Leaving certificate

Here is a link for reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

dunner515 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

And in Republic of Ireland you have your Junior certificate and your Leaving certificate

They are similar, but there are differences, for example the Leaving Cert has more subjects than A-Levels but A-Levels are studied to a higher standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Mop a top wrote: »
    Not exactly true. I applied the very last day of application last time round. Got my IST Dec, AC Jan, vetting Mar, PCA April, M&SMT May and I'm in the limbo pool. I just think it's luck of the draw

im the same as u, except i did my ac jn december,, its just pure luck as you say! Roll on 5 weeks time!!

pcplod wrote: »
    im the same as u, except i did my ac jn december,, its just pure luck as you say! Roll on 5 weeks time!!

Are you reapplying this campaign??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Are you reapplying this campaign??

Il be honest, im totally undecided. Do i hang about for another 8/9 months or do i aim for something else? There's possible opportunities coming up in my current job and im near tempted to just focus on that, its getting to the stage now where we will be needing to move house, the girlfriend is wanting to scale down her hours to be at home more etc, there's just so many different things going on and i need to start putting a bit of structure into everyday life. You will probably agree that this process isn't very family friendly.... Lol

pcplod wrote: »
    Il be honest, im totally undecided. Do i hang about for another 8/9 months or do i aim for something else? There's possible opportunities coming up in my current job and im near tempted to just focus on that, its getting to the stage now where we will be needing to move house, the girlfriend is wanting to scale down her hours to be at home more etc, there's just so many different things going on and i need to start putting a bit of structure into everyday life. You will probably agree that this process isn't very family friendly.... Lol

How I long for normality and structure!!!! I'd give anything to be out of limbo :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

dunner515 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

No they don't accept junior cert and equate leaving to gcse. Complete joke like so you need those grades in your leaving and there's not much consideration put into pass and honours

How I long for normality and structure!!!! I'd give anything to be out of limbo :/
    no chance of normality or structure WHEN you get in!! ;):p

vickmackey wrote: »
    no chance of normality or structure WHEN you get in!! ;):p

Well compared to my life ATM a mon-fri then rolling rota is structure and normality!!!!

true -- probably be a break for you! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Anybody from the South who is in the Garda Reserves applying? Just looking to find out because that garda recruitment campaign was an absolute farce?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kriya

I'm Kriya and I am new to this forum. I am unsure if this is the place to introduce myself. If not, can a Mod please move this post to a more appropriate place?

I am considering throwing my hat in the ring for appointment as a Constable of the PSNI.

To others with the same intent, I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

People just need to be patient. The psni recruitment is a long and gruelling process and it will do your head in. Put the effort in wait patiently and it will come. Remember good things come when they are least expected. Most my family are and where in the police and some took 5 attempts to get in and they say it was worth every moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

kriya wrote: »
    I'm Kriya and I am new to this forum. I am unsure if this is the place to introduce myself. If not, can a Mod please move this post to a more appropriate place?

I am considering throwing my hat in the ring for appointment as a Constable of the PSNI.

To others with the same intent, I wish you well.

As good a place as any. Have you your application filled out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

I got an email saying i was through to the next stage and to do the initial selection tests. I will know when i am doing it on by the end of june. Anyone else get the same email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

I got an email saying i was through to the next stage and to do the initial selection tests. I will know when i am doing it on by the end of june. Anyone else get the same email?

Yes everyone gets that. Can I ask what was so 'farcial' about the garda campaign?

Jus wondered because the last campaign up here wasn't exactly smooth running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Just seen documentation regarding pay for new constables, It looks like PSNI will be affected by Winsor, its not yet signed off yet, but it seems it likely will be as it means less money which will mean more bodies, downside it looks like starting salaries starting September 2014 will be 19K or so, instead of 10 years increment it will be 7 years maxing out the same, but lower starting salary, like I said its not been finalised yet, will shed more light when I find out more info. Sourced this from someone in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

If you're talking about the winsor recommendations this was from 2012 and did not effect the psni. You initially said you seen documentation then later said you sourced this info from someone in the job? Seeing as how utv reported the starting salary as 23k in training which will move to 26k (article from 28th may 2014 google it) and within this report there was an interview with the acting chief constable at the time I would very much doubt that would've been reported if there was going to be a possibility of reducing starting salary by 4k in a matter of weeks post interview. Seems like a bit of scare mongering and unless you are sure then I see no point in posting such info. 19k is not a salary many will take in this country with such an increase in threat and risk of life in comparison to the mainland and dropping the starting salary to 19k would also be dropping it to over 2k less than the starting salary in 2009 so I seriously doubt it. So I would suggest until anyone hears through official channels that this pay decrease is a certain then I'd pay no heed or take it with a pinch of salt. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I just can't see it.

Graciehart wrote: »
    If you're talking about the winsor recommendations this was from 2012 and did not effect the psni. You initially said you seen documentation then later said you sourced this info from someone in the job? Seeing as how utv reported the starting salary as 23k in training which will move to 26k (article from 28th may 2014 google it) and within this report there was an interview with the acting chief constable at the time I would very much doubt that would've been reported if there was going to be a possibility of reducing starting salary by 4k in a matter of weeks post interview. Seems like a bit of scare mongering and unless you are sure then I see no point in posting such info. 19k is not a salary many will take in this country with such an increase in threat and risk of life in comparison to the mainland and dropping the starting salary to 19k would also be dropping it to over 2k less than the starting salary in 2009 so I seriously doubt it. So I would suggest until anyone hears through official channels that this pay decrease is a certain then I'd pay no heed or take it with a pinch of salt. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I just can't see it.

Yeah someone in the job that provided to me documentation that I have read.

Yeah someone in the job that provided to me documentation that I have read

Sorry but it's still a report from two years ago that didn't effect the psni.

Sorry but it's still a report from two years ago that didn't effect the psni.

The report I have read is not from 2 years ago it's from yesterday, pinch of salt as you say I'm just sorta sharing info I have, not trying to stir anything up but like you said until it's officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I also heard from a officer that salaries would drop but I heard it doesn't come into affect until April 15. Hearsay until it's all official but I'd say threat level or not, it'll drop at some stage, the joys of budgets etc. This campaign (and last Octobers) was advertised at 23k but until you're in with your contract nothing's official really..

.S. wrote: »
    I also heard from a officer that salaries would drop but I heard it doesn't come into affect until April 15. Hearsay until it's all official but I'd say threat level or not, it'll drop at some stage, the joys of budgets etc. This campaign (and last Octobers) was advertised at 23k but until you're in with your contract nothing's official really..

Yeah true mate, the document I have read is from the police negotiation board, I don't know if the psni will accept it, but they have entered negotiations at least

The report I have read is not from 2 years ago it's from yesterday

We will agree to disagree. Although i think that without official documentation or a statement from the psni that it's definitely coming to pass, posting speculative information is probably a little strange. And I also find it a bit weird that someone in the job would approach you with official documentation to read and tell you it's more than likely to happen unless they were quite high up in the financial or HR side of things. I mean anyone can google the winsor report and see how it didn't effect the psni. I just wouldn't let anyone reading this think they should panic over something that's not confirmed or allow it to put them off applying when less than three weeks ago the acting chief constable told utv the starting salary for new recruits would be 23k in training then 26k after. I would find it very odd if that wasn't the case as 4k is more than a significant drop and everything you have said that you read was identical to a report from 2012. Anyway I've nothing more to say on the matter. I could be proved wrong in the future by official channels. I'm just saying scaremongering new recruits applying before anything is concrete isn't that cool. :)

We will agree to disagree. Although i think that without official documentation or a statement from the psni that it's definitely coming to pass, posting speculative information is probably a little strange. And I also find it a bit weird that someone in the job would approach you with official documentation to read and tell you it's more than likely to happen unless they were quite high up in the financial or HR side of things. I mean anyone can google the winsor report and see how it didn't effect the psni. I just wouldn't let anyone reading this think they should panic over something that's not confirmed or allow it to put them off applying when less than three weeks ago the acting chief constable told utv the starting salary for new recruits would be 23k in training then 26k after. I would find it very odd if that wasn't the case as 4k is more than a significant drop and everything you have said that you read was identical to a report from 2012. Anyway I've nothing more to say on the matter. I could be proved wrong in the future by official channels. I'm just saying scaremongering new recruits applying before anything is concrete isn't that cool. :)

Fair point, that wasn't my intentions but I can see what you mean, no scaremongering intended, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Whats any of this after tax anyway ? Subtract 20% ? What about insurance contributions etc ? Is the UK more tax competitive than the Republic these days ? What kind of tax deductions can you make ? (zero knowledge about the UK tax code here)

Advertisement