Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

.S. wrote: »
    I also heard from a officer that salaries would drop but I heard it doesn't come into affect until April 15. Hearsay until it's all official but I'd say threat level or not, it'll drop at some stage, the joys of budgets etc. This campaign (and last Octobers) was advertised at 23k but until you're in with your contract nothing's official really..

True, just think it's confusing to people applying to hear something advertised and it being changed a few weeks later. And would be better left unsaid until people hear from official channels

Fair point, that wasn't my intentions but I can see what you mean, no scaremongering intended, my bad.

No worries, I may have come across like a tool as I just read over it and I come across badly! Sorry I'm nice really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I doubt very much that was highburys intention, a lot of what's posted here is guess work (time frames, when we might hear etc), recruitment communication is sparse. I heard from a regular serving officer, not anyone particularly senior. Time will tell, point is, it's a possibility in the future. It's not a scare tactic, just interesting if anyone else has heard anything (ain't much to do while waiting to hear from PSNI except wonder what's happening / hit the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Graciehart wrote: »
    No worries, I may have come across like a tool as I just read over it and I come across badly! Sorry I'm nice really!!!

That's okay lol, me too my intentions are good lol :)

.S. wrote: »
    I doubt very much that was highburys intention, incase you haven't noticed most of what's posted here is guess work until we're in, recruitment communication is sparse. I heard from a regular serving officer, not anyone particularly senior. Time will tell, point is, it's a definite possibility in the future.

I know everyone is guessing which is why I said I could be wrong!! All I was saying is that'd be weird if they advertised something to change it just a few weeks later no matter what organisation it is and that 4k is more than a little pay cut seeing as constables were being paid more than that like 5yrs ago. Anyway I wasn't trying to fight just saying everyone should wait until it's official before worrying. Sorry if I've come across badly as it wasn't my intention. I'm lovely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

popolive wrote: »
    Whats any of this after tax anyway ? Subtract 20% ? What about insurance contributions etc ? Is the UK more tax competitive than the Republic these days ? What kind of tax deductions can you make ? (zero knowledge about the UK tax code here)

I've been told a quick way is to deduct 25% for tax NI pension etc

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Lol touch wood we'll be GV buddies at some stage, don't worry! :-) whatever happens, imagine there'll be enough o/t to help our pay packets out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Is there a limit to how much overtime they will give you ? Is it possible to reach that limit ?

I have some closely related family members who I haven't seen for something like 15 years and others who I hardly speak to. The world can be a funny place no matter how good you are yourself as a person. They could be chopping each others little fingers off Yakuza style and I wouldn't know but I doubt it ! Am I expected to mention them on my vetting form or alert them to my application in some way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

Is there a limit to how much overtime they will give you ? Is it possible to reach that limit ?

I have some closely related family members who I haven't seen for something like 15 years and others who I hardly speak to. The world can be a funny place no matter how good you are yourself as a person. They could be chopping each others little fingers off Yakuza style and I wouldn't know but I doubt it ! Am I expected to mention them on my vetting form or alert them to my application in some way ?

Best advice here is to worry about all of this when you have to. One stage at a time is as quick as any of us can do this. :)

Was speaking to a guy in ops planning, he said there's an a guy who works nearly every day, does doubles etc his take home was approx £79k last year!!!!!! He said in D/LD they're averaging about 6 day weeks and doing loads of 12 hour shifts. This guy doesn't bull **** me, he's one of my nearest and dearest. Heard this from another inside friend too

• Advertisement

Btw the vetting asks for brothers, sisters, step siblings, mums dads step patents partner and their parents from what I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

The PSNI, PFNI and PNB have been in negotiations for some time regarding implementing some of the Winsor reforms.

They only recently came to agreement as per Terry Spence and Ford at the PFNI Annual Conference just a few weeks ago. Spence said that an agreement was put in place that would implement some of Winsor (eg. reaching max pay point for Con at 7 years rather than the current 10) but did not have any 'detrimental effect' on officer's pay.

It's not scaremongering - an agreement has been made changing pay and conditions with PNB. It'll be either on a PNB circular or DOJ release in due course no doubt. Some of Winsor has been implemented in this new agreement.

Sthm wrote: »
    The PSNI, PFNI and PNB have been in negotiations for some time regarding implementing some of the Winsor reforms.

They only recently came to agreement as per Terry Spence and Ford at the PFNI Annual Conference just a few weeks ago. Spence said that an agreement was put in place that would implement some of Winsor (eg. reaching max pay point for Con at 7 years rather than the current 10) but did not have any 'detrimental effect' on officer's pay.

It's not scaremongering - an agreement has been made changing pay and conditions with PNB. It'll be either on a PNB circular or DOJ release in due course no doubt. Some of Winsor has been implemented in this new agreement.

So do you reckon it won't effect a starting salary by 4k? I'm a little confused now lol

Not sure to be honest, just as confused really! Terry Spence has said there is no 'detrimental change' to pensionable pay. But it's just funny that there's no mention of salary on the joinpsni website or the updated Guidance for Applicants.

It has been confirmed that officers will reach max Con salary quicker with the new agreement but it may mean starting lower and having large increases between pay points. Just guess work until a circular is released. It'll be confirmed by the NIPB soon either way as the agreement comes into effect September 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭crinkley

They stated at the familiarization session that starting salary for this intake would remain the same

Said it at mine too at the start of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Oh dear...meh I'm not applying for the money but still not a positive to be paid less...or have recruitment frozen.

I don't think it will affect salaries, but there seems to be an air of uncertainty as to whether this 2014 campaign will continue or not.

I don't think it will affect salaries, but there seems to be an air of uncertainty as to whether this 2014 campaign will continue or not.

Where did you hear that? I think it's ridiculous. Officers working an average 6 day weeks in D/LD ATM it's obvious that there's still a need for new officers

• Advertisement

Ehh, from reading the article, does it not sound a bit negative for the 2014 campaign, to you? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

...end of the day i suppose no money no spending, campaigns have been paused before haven't they, with people right before getting a job.

I've only been on the previous campaign and conked out at assessment so never been on a pause or a waiting list...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HereBsMe

Ehh, from reading the article, does it not sound a bit negative for the 2014 campaign, to you? :o

I am staying away from reading news articles as such. I don't want to burst the happy PSNI recruitment bubble I am in at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

Doesn't sound good. I would like to hope it would mean a reduction in numbers in the second recruitment rather than a cancellation altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

HR lady at last week's session confirmed pay is still in 'negotiations'. I do have the initial Guidance for Applicants where it states £23k, not that it counts for anything lol

Sgt also gave a pay example. One of his officers who has been in job 3 years is on about £40k inc overtime. Not bad :)

I imagine a drop to £19k would be a deal breaker for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Damn! The PSNI can't seem to get a break at the minute, no wonder Matt is leaving early. I really can't see the PSNI not continuing with recruiting, money would be found somewhere, it would have to be, with the rate natural wastage is occurring. (I say this in bid to reassure myself lol)

I read when campaign 1 started they quoted 6,900 odd now they're quoting 6,500 so campaign 1 is topping up those that have retired or left, all they're doing at this rate is topping up numbers not increasing.

As we speak there is officers retiring, and all it has done has increasingly decreased the size of the force. Who knows though, it's media, not to discredit it in any shape or form though. One thng is for sure the economy fallen out of its arse? sucks! big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Folks
    To try to resolve the pay issue, the psni is in a unique situation because of the troubles and are exempt. They also attract a 4k bonus. Don't know is that's 19k +4 which is 23k or 27k. Whilst the paramilitaries are here the pay will not go down. The PSNI has struggled to attract Catholics (specifically) and would not want their good undermined. They want the best people

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Guys, lets be totally honest here. If you want the job as much as me then pay wont be the be all and end all.

I am taking a massive pay cut if i get through the next stages and am accepted.

If you arnt happy with the rate of pay dont progress any further in this campaign.

Hope i dont sound like a tool but lets just cut the bullsh1t!!

Don't hate on me for saying this MD4, but if it was anywhere else in the UK or Ireland, I would happily work for £19k a year, but thing is, it's not.

As soon as one becomes a student constable, he/she and his/her family is a target day and night 24/7 - 365.

I would work for £19k a year if it came to it, but to me it doesn't seem very appreciative of the life a constable has to live.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify - I'm also cutting a good career short to join, the money comes after the job itself. However, I think it's only fair to be remunerated properly for the job.

I've seen the PNB circular HighburyLad referred to and it states from Sept 2014 it is £19,000 upon commencement of the SOTP and then £22,221 after attestation. Seven years as con to reach £36,885 rather than the current ten. 'Current' salary would be £23,493 start and then £26,223 after finishing the 22 weeks.

Contradicts what Terry Spence said, but that's the agreement reached apparently.

Advertisement