Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

junior 1 wrote: »
    Just to add to that, those who lead the Anglo Investigation in Dublin needed to have a high degree of education to do that. It wasn't something they would have picked up 'on the job'.

Well looking at the results of that ''Anglo Investigation'' it appears that a 'high degree of education' has not only given those bold investigators the necessary skill sets to justify their salaries by making it appear like they are working with integrity and skill around the clock but it has also overawed people like yourself who praise them and give them an easy time despite their extreme lack of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Hi, long time lurker first time poster here! Missed out by 3% on the last campaign which was gutting but hopefully this one is more successful for me. I noticed Talking Blues are now doing a specific course on PSNI later in the year, does anyone know if this would be beneficial? Or would they not have the latest assessment centre style/scenarios used in the 2013 campaign onwards? Ie: will they coach you about a police specific role plays or just generic roleplays that use various jobs to cover the competencies PSNI are looking for. Only asking as I know from my own experience that the assessment centre has changed greatly from what it was pre 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Suzuka wrote: »
    Hi, long time lurker first time poster here! Missed out by 3% on the last campaign which was gutting but hopefully this one is more successful for me. I noticed Talking Blues are now doing a specific course on PSNI later in the year, does anyone know if this would be beneficial? Or would they not have the latest assessment centre style/scenarios used in the 2013 campaign onwards? Ie: will they coach you about a police specific role plays or just generic roleplays that use various jobs to cover the competencies PSNI are looking for. Only asking as I know from my own experience that the assessment centre has changed greatly from what it was pre 2013.

I'm just speculating here but when I did my AC in Jan they made everyone sign confidentiality agreements. I'd assume they'll adopt the same style of assessment this time around and would think it's unlikely PSNI or Deloitte would have made the details of these public. I could be wrong but Deloitte and PSNI give you the details you'll need. As long as you can demonstrate the core qualities they want you should do well.

Mop a top wrote: »
    I'm just speculating here but when I did my AC in Jan they made everyone sign confidentiality agreements. I'd assume they'll adopt the same style of assessment this time around and would think it's unlikely PSNI or Deloitte would have made the details of these public. I could be wrong but Deloitte and PSNI give you the details you'll need. As long as you can demonstrate the core qualities they want you should do well.
    I know what you mean, this is exactly what I'm thinking just don't want to spend x amount for stuff that isn't relevant to the new assessment centre style. The whole new assessment centre threw me off to a bad start last time and was reflected in my results summary (started off bad but got better), at least I know what to expect now and the assessment centre from the last campaign is still fresh in my mind on a positive note though! Lol

Not sure if people are allowed to say but does anyone have a contact for coaching/preparation for the assessment centre? Or could PM details? Just determined to nail it this time!

I know what you mean, this is exactly what I'm thinking just don't want to spend x amount for stuff that isn't relevant to the new assessment centre style. The whole new assessment centre threw me off to a bad start last time and was reflected in my results summary (started off bad but got better), at least I know what to expect now and the assessment centre from the last campaign is still fresh in my mind on a positive note though! Lol

Not sure if people are allowed to say but does anyone have a contact for coaching/preparation for the assessment centre? Or could PM details? Just determined to nail it this time!

Tbh my friend is in your position. She was really really ill the day of her AC and missed it by 1%. Raging. Anyway I think she's just going to go in without coaching and work on what her feedback said from the first AC. If you've been through it once I'm sure you've done the same as the rest of us and overanalysed your AC. I personally don't see the point in spending money on coaching. You have everything you need to improve your AC score this time round. Just have a little faith and confidence in yourself and your ability :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

Hey I just thought I'd let everyone know I emailed the psni about starting salary after the debate last week to get clarification and highbury lad was correct. The response I received was as follows:

The starting salary for constables appointed from the current competition (Campaign 1405) will be £19,000.

I know this won't effect most of you applying but I thought I would let you all know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Controversial!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

Graciehart wrote: »
    Hey I just thought I'd let everyone know I emailed the psni about starting salary after the debate last week to get clarification and highbury lad was correct. The response I received was as follows:

The starting salary for constables appointed from the current competition (Campaign 1405) will be £19,000.

I know this won't effect most of you applying but I thought I would let you all know!

on the PSNI website now:

Rewards and Benefits

Salary
    The starting salary for PSNI appointed from this competition will be £19,000.

Doesn't it go up quicker though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 junior 1

popolive wrote: »
    Well looking at the results of that ''Anglo Investigation'' it appears that a 'high degree of education' has not only given those bold investigators the necessary skill sets to justify their salaries by making it appear like they are working with integrity and skill around the clock but it has also overawed people like yourself who praise them and give them an easy time despite their extreme lack of results.

They got a conviction!
    Mop a top wrote: »
    So Choobs was right to correct you.

Was he? And tell me this, does Choobs expect the same standard of English from all nationalities considering that the application process is open to those outside Britain and Ireland?

• Advertisement

oztop1234 wrote: »
    on the info i read recently, it is supposed to balance out over 7 years instead of 10, so larger pay increments in last few years, but still will take few years to match current payscale -- though its not on the website yet.

They didn't give me that info sorry and it's not on the site that I can see. But remembering that you're on probation for two years it would likely be 2 yrs before 23,000 would be reached. Quite disappointed people who started already got 23k the 26k on completion of training and now looks likely it'd be 3 or so yrs before this campaign would reach 26k. And no I wasn't just in it for the money but I do need to reassess, as a single parent I'm not sure I could manage childcare etc on a 19k salary and thinking about increased risk of threat I think 19k to endanger your whole family is a little short!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Guarantee half of the people that have already applied wouldn't do so again if they knew what the new starting salary is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

And some didn't believe HighburyLad about this even though there's a PNB circular doing the rounds with the following:

From September 2014:

0: 19,000
    1: 22,221
    2: 23,229
    3: 24,240
    4: 25,251
    5: 27,270
    6: 31,341
    7: 36,885

* All trainees enter at point 0 and remain on point 0 until attestation/graduation.

** At attestation/graduation, all trainees become Constable and move on to point 1. Remain at point 1 until they complete probation (total of 2 years but can be extended by the Chief Constable).

listen "junior1" ....people on these threads have a genuine interest in helping eachother through this process ...if all you are interested in is antagonising people, then start another thread somewhere else, or keep your opinions to yourself as you seem to have annoyed majority on here, who have enough on there minds....... and as someone who left school with 3 O-levels 27 years ago, I can bet that my lifetime experiences would save your ass if it came to a street riot, and that is not learned getting a degree...... so wind your neck in!

Sthm wrote: »
    And some didn't believe HighburyLad about this even though there's a PNB circular doing the rounds with the following:

From September 2014:

0: 19,000
    1: 22,221
    2: 23,229
    3: 24,240
    4: 25,251
    5: 27,270
    6: 31,341
    7: 36,885

* All trainees enter at point 0 and remain on point 0 until attestation/graduation.

** At attestation/graduation, all trainees become Constable and move on to point 1. Remain at point 1 until they complete probation (total of 2 years but can be extended by the Chief Constable).

If that was a dig at me I think it's a little out of order as I actually said that day that I could be wrong but we should wait for clarification and seeing as how I'm the one emailed and posted the clarification then it shows I can admit when I am wrong!

Suppose if you add in the Northern Ireland allowance and any overtime then it wouldn't be too bad.

Id join no matter what the pay

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

Suppose if you add in the Northern Ireland allowance and any overtime then it wouldn't be too bad.

Same here, Ive always wanted to do this.. taken me like 4 or 5 goes to get in. I would do it with a pay cut!

What's the Northern Ireland allowance?
    I'd love to able to say the pay cut hasn't effected me but in my circumstances I have to take everything into consideration :(

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Was he? And tell me this, does Choobs expect the same standard of English from all nationalities considering that the application process is open to those outside Britain and Ireland?

I can't speak for Choobs but the PSNI certainly expect this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Is this definitely being implemented here and not just England and Wales?

Is this definitely being implemented here and not just England and Wales?

Yes. Its stated on the join psni website.

Salary was conspicuous in its absence up til today. Definitely thrown a cat amongst the pigeons.

You wonder if this will be announced on the news, would be a shame if all those folk who didn't realise the new salary get through to the end of this campaign and then didn't turn up at GV on the first day because they only found out about the new salary in the induction weekend and thought "no way!", especially if some of us don't get through who really want it regardless of the pay changes :(

Personally I think you shouldn't be applying for the money but can understand peoples frustrations if they really want it and have youngsters etc.

They got a conviction!

Yes he was right to correct you. You were incorrect. My point to that was you had used the word "their" in the wrong context. I could be petty and stoop to your level saying my 7 year old knows which "they/there/their" to use but I won't. It IS part of your IST but if you can't use correct grammar in a forum how do you expect to pass the first part of the selection process??

Given the nature of the job I personally don't care what nationality the people are that I'm working with provided they can fluently communicate in English on all levels. Failure to do so may be detrimental to personal safety, statements and the integrity of PSNI.

Btw I'm nearly positive that Choobs got the call that so many are desperate to get. You could do worse things than take advice from him.

If you want to use the forum for something other than stirring up **** then I'm sure we would all appreciate it. Sorry I couldn't think if a better phrase since I'm stupid and only have life experience to see me through :-/

You wonder if this will be announced on the news, would be a shame if all those folk who didn't realise the new salary get through to the end of this campaign and then didn't turn up at GV on the first day because they only found out about the new salary in the induction weekend and thought "no way!", especially if some of us don't get through who really want it regardless of the pay changes :(

Personally I think you shouldn't be applying for the money but can understand peoples frustrations if they really want it and have youngsters etc.

I'm sure they will make it clear in the next email considering the salary was 23K when applications went live.

This is very poor form in terms of communication but, unfortunately, it's quite typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Just seen it went official there myself, didn't want to say much more on it until it went official, doesn't deter or really affect me, but I understand it will with some, just wish everyone the best of luck in whatever they decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Anyone who makes it through the last campaign - the initial 100 and the additional 378 - do they all still start on £23,000? Thats a fairly big difference to this current campaign :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Hopefully it's plastered all over the news! It'll certainly put people off that are applying for the money! :)

Graciehart wrote: »
    If that was a dig at me I think it's a little out of order as I actually said that day that I could be wrong but we should wait for clarification and seeing as how I'm the one emailed and posted the clarification then it shows I can admit when I am wrong!
    not at all anything towards you Graciehart! :o... sorry if you read it as that:o... it was aimed directly at "JUNIOR1"
    thats why i hadnt been getting involved in HIS/HER posts as by the time someone else posts, it can get misread.
    thankyou for your information, honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

The doc I have read says this about assimilation, on those who start on the old first campaign wage, just sharing info I am privy too, in aid to help anyone concerned or interested.

"The existing constables' pay scale will be reduced by 3 points over 3 years from 1 April 2015. Pay point 6 will be removed in April 2015; pay point 7 will be removed in April 2016; pay point 9 will be removed in April 2017. When a pay point is removed, officers will not immediately move to the next highest point but will move to the next highest point in line with his/her incremental date, subject to satisfactory performance assessed in APR"

Advertisement