Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Good to see I'm not the only one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Mop a top wrote: »
    Good to see I'm not the only one lol

oh, im desperate, some of the things i could come off with would probably get me banned. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

What are you people on?

I must live in a super posh area because I could drop a bar of soap by my car and not have to worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

rocky911 wrote: »
    I like your style.. could solve a few problems :L :L I joke :D

We won't have a mrs if we get in though...wanna go halves on cctv? just fast forward it every morning see if some dodgy troll been round your vehicle...
    Dekkers wrote: »
    What are you people on?

I must live in a super posh area because I could drop a bar of soap by my car and not have to worry...

yea we know you don't worry...and it aint because nothing happens ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

PutItDown wrote: »
    We won't have a mrs if we get in though...wanna go halves on cctv? just fast forward it every morning see if some dodgy troll been round your vehicle...

Haha very true.. and big feck off dog..
    yea we know you don't worry...and it aint because nothing happens ;P

On a serious note.. how often are coppers finding stuff under their car?

• Advertisement

On a serious note.. how often are coppers finding stuff under their car?

Don't think my friend has found anything yet. He's been in nearly 20years. Not sure about "yoda" though. I'll ask him out of curiosity lol

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Don't think my friend has found anything yet. He's been in nearly 20years. Not sure about "yoda" though. I'll ask him out of curiosity lol

It doesnt happen that often .. Usually get sped before anything happens in fairness .. Just the odd few that slip past

LG1985 wrote: »
    It doesnt happen that often .. Usually get sped before anything happens in fairness .. Just the odd few that slip past

sped??.. you will have to translate for us foregin folk lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

No, its designed so that it can be hidden in the trouser leg, you flick your leg way out to your left or right and the mirror pops out at the ankle. To retrieve the mirror, you need to violenty shake your leg.

It's the violent leg shake that is the give away.

not sure if serious :D

But anythings possible and frequently is ...

http://justsomething.co/23-craziest-japanese-inventions-you-never-knew-existed/

I want the hug pillow!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

I want the hug pillow!!!!!!

Never ending bubble wrap might be handy during a stake out :D

popolive wrote: »
    Never ending bubble wrap might be handy during a stake out :D

Guarantee you ya wouldn't be long getting a glock against the head to stop lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

People who have got in have been told no mirrors or fancy gadgets, the only way to check is to get down on your hands and knees and employ mark 1 eyeball!

sped??.. you will have to translate for us foregin folk lol

It means bein moved house etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Special purchase of evacuated dwellings I believe it stands for. The housing exec buy your house.

oo la la

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

As above, it's inevitable some people will see you checking under your car at some point. Depending on the make, even with the mirror on the stick you might need to croach down (apparently if the underneath of your car isn't mainly one sheet of metal, ie older cars, you can't use the mirror as effectively). Need to remember it will act as a deterrent too, if someone watching you they'll soon catch on there's no point planting anything if you're always checking. But agree, police intelligence is very good. If there's a higher risk to you than normal, you should hear about it.

I also heard the army advise that when you've checked and proceed to start your car, keep your door open slightly when you turn the ignition and while you move off for a few seconds. If there is a blast there's more chance you'll be thrown clear. Not heard of PSNI stating to do this but doesn't seem a bad idea.

All this talk is very real but makes me doubt if I'm doing the right thing by my kids. The old maternal instinct kicking in :-/ it's me and my job , I can accept placing myself in harms way plus it means I can provide for them but am I putting them at unnecessary risk? Think they'd be better off with their dad full time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Grew up with my dad in the police and well used to checking the car before we got in. Id be of the opinion id rather know there's nothing under my car than what the neighbours think. At the end of the day most of us know our neighbours its the people you dont know id be more worried about.

Ultimately that's a decision only you can make, I've no kids but I'm protective of my family, I know the thought of them potentially being at risk isn't a pleasant one. Honestly, I'd wait til you're in. You're safe in GV. See where you're stationed, usual police advise, vary your routes/travelling time, they'll tell you how to watch out for people following you and how to lose them if necessary. You will have help and support and plenty of other officers have children. I honestly think you could manage it. I'm a girl and I know down the line I intend to manage it. Get in GV, speak to people, when you find out where you're stationed speak to them. Don't make a hasty decision now. Ultimately your kids are no1, they'll know that. Chin up, you don't need to figure it all out now xo

• Advertisement

All this talk is very real but makes me doubt if I'm doing the right thing by my kids. The old maternal instinct kicking in :-/ it's me and my job , I can accept placing myself in harms way plus it means I can provide for them but am I putting them at unnecessary risk? Think they'd be better off with their dad full time :(

I dont have kids so i cant really comment on this and how u must be feeling but you have to look at the other aspects aswel and what a great career it is and how much the kids will benefit aswel :) No rush to think about it right now tho .. Car sharing and changing routes always helps and people who you end up stationed with will always give great advice!!

Keep your chin up my lovely xxx

Thanks my lovelies. It's just that whole car thing has got me thinking that's all. They're obviously in 5 point harnesses due to their ages so it's not like they could get out. Just dawned on me that there's risks for them too, until that car convo started it was me, my job, my career, my life. Still going for it though. Just making me look at it differently now. Thanks for all the advice though x

It becomes a routine, you'll forget it's an extra chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

If you think about the thousands of officers that are in the service and only a couple have been successfully targeted over the last 10 years or so, I reckon the odds should put your mind at ease. I would be more worried about having a firearm in the house with inquisitive young minds if I'm honest.

ZeGerman wrote: »
    If you think about the thousands of officers that are in the service and only a couple have been successfully targeted over the last 10 years or so, I reckon the odds should put your mind at ease. I would be more worried about having a firearm in the house with inquisitive young minds if I'm honest.

Thank you, your totally right, just let my head run away with me for a bit. Electronic safe bolted to the bottom of my wardrobe. The ex had it here for his PPW

You'll be grand with the safe then. It's easy to overthink going for this job but honestly, the way you responded to a certain troll/junior a while back, you put yourself across really well, you'd make a great officer, don't let a wee anxious moment put you off cause the risk can be managed. And once your kids grow up a wee bit they will be so proud of ya :-)

On a seperate note, anyone know why Deloitte changes things, like not requiring the IT qualification, probably despite knowing people who didn't get in in the last campaign went and got it, now people have it and now they don't want it, and why they don't do IST's anywhere but NI now, I get the impression they change things every single campaign, is it a funding issue or do they just like to change things up regardless of how it affects people or what?

Anyone else expecting the assessment centre to totally different as well?

.S. wrote: »
    You'll be grand with the safe then. It's easy to overthink going for this job but honestly, the way you responded to a certain troll/junior a while back, you put yourself across really well, you'd make a great officer, don't let a wee anxious moment put you off cause the risk can be managed. And once your kids grow up a wee bit they will be so proud of ya :-)

Lol thank you, moment has past, bring on "the call"!!!!

As for Deloitte changing things I'm thinking it was from the whole hassle about peoples IT qualifications, people thinking they'd passed when the course wasn't finished. Think it was a nightmare but to be fair I think they caused the problems themselves, they could have just stuck to their guns about the it qualification and the deadline date. Saying that I've got RSA's and they had to check that they were acceptable :-/

Maybe there's not enough of a demand for IST's in mainland, after the spending cuts there having to impose I'd say recruitment is one if the first areas that would suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I'm not gonna lie I was really surprised to hear they had IST's in England etc I know they did IST's down south, I'm not sure if they have ever done IST's other than here and down south prior to this recruitment. It's gonna be all down to finances, last campaign in advertising, test centres etc it cost in the region of 1.1 million pounds (on the psni main website) so it's all about money.

http://www.psni.police.uk/psni_latest_recruitment_campaign.pdf

Matt Baggot, I seen on the bbc news ni website that was released today, had an interview regarding historical enquiries murders that happened prior to the Good Friday agreement. Basically too much money is going into murder cases 20/30 or more years ago and not enough to sustain current policing, he was talking about maybe another body to take on these cases that isn't funded by the current policing budget.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28049602

The deal with the ICT qualifications I don't even know why they had to make that a requirement, I know policing now is very much technically advanced with computer assistance built into patrol cars, but a lot is just trial and error and learning on the go I suppose. I was told it was a disaster regarding the ICT certs so they pulled it out, possibly a Deloitte incompetence deal lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tailsy25088832

Or keep dropping you're keys. Whoops I'm so clumsy

Or tie the shoes every morning beside then car whilst looking for the house cat that escaped lol

Just do it everytime and if your getting watched they will report back that your switched on and move on to someone who has slack drills.
    I lived near an interface when I was in the army and done it everytime.

Advertisement