Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Sthm wrote: »
    Haha, it's hard to keep track of these threads at times. Although, it seems a lot quieter on here this campaign when compared with last year.

Good luck for the test.

I'd mentioned on the IST thread that, at least for me, I find it almost impossible to gauge how I've performed. Same feelings as last time round really. Unfortunately, it's also a long couple of months until results.

Yeah think a lot of people had been waiting a long time for it to come up last time. Thanks I will need it!!! lol yeah it is really tough last time I thought I done very well to be honest but it's crap to put in loads of work for it and the fail by one mark or a few marks or whatever which is really why I haven't been on here much and haven't done too much work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

I'm in Belfast, got here yesterday, leaving tomorrow. Nice to have a lie in during the week, don't go away enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

PutItDown wrote: »
    I'm in Belfast, got here yesterday, leaving tomorrow. Nice to have a lie in during the week, don't go away enough.

Good luck my lovely, hope it all goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

PutItDown wrote: »

Good Luck Buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Timetravel wrote: »
    Have been trying to stay off here this time round, has anyone done their IST yet or have it coming up soon?

I'm trying to do the same i.e. keep a low profile on here. Not because I know everything but you can become too involved in this long process.

I'll still try to keep up to date on the relevant threads especially as the various stages are 'active'.

Two months wait for IST results then a month for AC date (hopefully) then God knows how long after that :eek:

Best of luck all with your upcoming IST's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mahoneywannabe

Just done IST could have went better with my time management, a quick question to anyone here that has passed the IST previously. Did any of you pass without completing every question on the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Just done IST could have went better with my time management, a quick question to anyone here that has passed the IST previously. Did any of you pass without completing every question on the test?

Yeah .. I passed and left about 6 out of the last section and didnt find all the mistakes in the 1st ..

Good Luck with it!! Hope you pass!!

I guessed the last 5 in the last section when I seen the lady get up to call time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PutItDown

Mop a top wrote: »
    I guessed the last 5 in the last section when I seen the lady get up to call time lol.

Done mine now, long wait till results...I only found 16 of the first part, answered all on the second and missed 5 on the last...oh well fingers crossed.

Having done it in NI this time around since they're cheapo's and won't do IST's here I did notice a much more mixed bunched of people, on mainland I have to say was mostly young white men like myself and suited up(like I did, didn't bother suiting up this time no marks for it).

I should have gone in a speedo and snorkel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Just out of that session too. Don't really know how that went! Found 20 first part, second part was ok and last part was tough! I guessed last four or five aswell lol

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I missed the last few on section 3 last year and passed with a very good mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

They don't use negative marking so its to your advantage to guess if you're running very tight on time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Suzuka wrote: »
    They don't use negative marking so its to your advantage to guess if you're running very tight on time

in pretty sure they used negative marking for the first part, if they didn't you could have underlined everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

pcplod wrote: »
    in pretty sure they used negative marking for the first part, if they didn't you could have underlined everything...
    Yea they do for the spelling/grammar part meant the multiple choice tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Suzuka wrote: »
    Yea they do for the spelling/grammar part meant the multiple choice tests

sorry, my bad. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/stretched-psni-cannot-sustain-summer-of-violence-warns-david-ford-30420539.html

Just some news I was reading, the final part of the article "the story so far" is an interesting read too, more to do with recruitment. I hope the policing board and department of justice see sense through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Good article regarding mutual aid and recruitment on Police Oracle today. Pasted below:
    Resilience, breaking points and the folly of mutual aid

As another potential deployment to Northern Ireland looms, the suitability of using UK officers to plug the gaps in the PSNI has still not been thought through, says Cliff Caswell

It is a geographical area of policing that has taken on a new significance for officers from the UK over the past 12 months – Northern Ireland has suddenly become a potential tour of duty, with personnel supporting colleagues across the water in public order duties.

Last year – on July 12 – hundreds of officers from England, Wales and Northern Ireland volunteered for duty in Belfast under mutual aid arrangements as a contentious parade through the Ardoyne area of the city descended into violence. Water cannon and attenuating energy projectile baton rounds were deployed as masonry, petrol bombs and other missiles were hurled at the police lines by troublemakers.

As the same annual event looms this year, the legally binding ruling from the body regulating parades that the marchers cannot complete their return leg along the Crumlin Road has again caused disquiet. As in 2013 when the same ruling was made the move has angered some local politicians – and again the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) chief constable has said the determination will be enforced.

Despite appeals for calm all the ingredients are now present for the requirement of a major mutual aid operation. Sadly, the same set of circumstances could mean another hammering for PSNI officers, scores of whom were injured in the previous outbreak of violence.

Declining resilience

The requirement for a large scale mutual aid deployment should concern senior politicians who have thus far seemed largely indifferent to the stresses the PSNI has been under.

It would appear that the desire to paint a rosy picture of the achievements following the Good Friday Agreement – and there have been many – has come at the expense of the establishment accepting that there are still elements that want to drag the province back to the past.

Against this backdrop, numbers of officers in the PSNI have now fallen well below 7,000, more are on the cards to retire and the force resilience is being significantly undermined. In parallel, a public order situation that anywhere else in the British Isles would be the subject of crisis talks and debates in Westminster has prevailed while the activities of dissident Republicans have claimed the lives of two PSNI officers and come close to killing others.

This environment should not be taken lightly and requires a keen understanding of sensitivities, an understanding of particular risks and unique skill sets. Yet those embarking on deployments from the UK mainland have so far only received a two-day pre-deployment package in PSNI tactics and equipment, they do not have firearms for personal protection like their colleagues and are not rapidly available if there is an immediate need.

Numbers game

However, while it should be obvious to politicians that a growing threat requires more officers, not less, and that the sticking plaster of surging officers into an unfamiliar place requiring a unique policing style is neither a cost-effective or sensible option in terms of risk, these are basic concepts that do not seem to have been grasped.

The fact is that numbers matter – and a properly resourced, home grown force with the personnel to rapidly mobilise to deal with any threat should be the way forward.

But current plans to take on – at best – another few hundred or so officers are insufficient and the reality that a large scale recruitment campaign is urgently needed must be recognised. The relevant funding arrangements to make this happen should be put in place.

On the mainland UK, it has been a popular mantra of the Coalition Government that there must be more for less, and austerity must remain the watchword. These make fine soundbites, but when they are applied to modestly paid flesh-and-blood officers who are being smashed in disorder and targeted with a murderous zeal by terrorists, they tend to have a hollow ring.

A year has passed since the last July 12 disorder, and nothing has changed. The PSNI has continued to shrink; officers waiting in the wings for a mutual aid deployment that now seems an accepted part of policing have received no extra training or assurances over remuneration. Terrorists groups are active and increasingly well organised and the threat level in the province is still at the upper end of severe.

Action is now needed to address this situation and the government must have a reality check on Northern Ireland, informed by honesty rather than a relying on a blind optimism.

In the words of Police Federation for Northern Ireland Chairman Terry Spence, officers are not cannon fodder. They, more than anybody, are feeling the physical pain of austerity.

Cliff Caswell is the Editor of PoliceOracle.com and a former defence correspondent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Sthm wrote: »
    Good article regarding mutual aid and recruitment on Police Oracle today. Pasted below:

Awesome read man cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sgt_fenners

Puts it all into perspective really doesn't it!?

So why are they cutting pay to be in line with mainland?? Hmmmm I think government need a reality check either that it they can join the ranks patrolling and policing the lines for the mad month lol!!!! Actually I think I'd like to suggest that, lead balloon springs to mind!!! But when all is said and done, no matter the pay, I read that and thought "bring it!! I can not wait!!!"

• Advertisement

So why are they cutting pay to be in line with mainland?? Hmmmm I think government need a reality check either that it they can join the ranks patrolling and policing the lines for the mad month lol!!!! Actually I think I'd like to suggest that, lead balloon springs to mind!!! But when all is said and done, no matter the pay, I read that and thought "bring it!! I can not wait!!!"

I still have that banner that hasn't been used...

I still have that banner that hasn't been used...

Lol cheeky!!! It is being used. You and Dutch are supposed to be protesting to get me and Jay in. I'm bringing cake!!!! 3D meat wagon lmfao!!!!!

Lol cheeky!!! It is being used. You and Dutch are supposed to be protesting to get me and Jay in. I'm bringing cake!!!! 3D meat wagon lmfao!!!!!

That's right sorry I forgot! Now that u mention it will u bring us some cake while protesting?

I love cake and well we might be hungry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Bring buckfast for the security gaurd too!

I swear if I get in I'm bringing cake!! Haven't decided if it's for induction or first day lol. For all my little Board buddies :P

Looks like one of the lovely girls is leaving. Anyone fancy their chances? http://www.recruitni.com/job/head-of-physical-and-health-education/383027

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

What's the best way to study for the IST? I've mine in a month. Is the sample test they provide you any good?

Juicy432 wrote: »
    What's the best way to study for the IST? I've mine in a month. Is the sample test they provide you any good?

If it hasn't changed from last time it's an accurate representation of the types of testing however there's so much more to it. The first part is underlining the 20 spelling and grammatical errors. Second part there's several small paragraphs with a few T/F/CT questions after each. Third part is an A4 sheet literally crammed with data and multiple choice answers. I found it very tight on time and there were a few people who were asked to leave and disqualified as they tried to fill in answers when they told pencils down. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

there were a few people who were asked to leave and disqualified as they tried to fill in answers when they told pencils down. Good luck

wow I'd watch out for that. Thats pretty strict. were they carried by their own momentum or have to be told several times to put the pencil down ?

• Advertisement

Totally strict!!!! I honestly don't know. I couldn't look round. I didn't want to be one of the hundreds staring at them thinking "you dozy ****" lol. I felt so sorry for them but at the same time you're warned at the start. If you can't follow simple instruction you shouldn't be in it. I don't know if they were filling in answers or messing about with their pencil but when they said pencils down I made sure mine was no where near my hands. I wasn't risking it. So not worth it.

Advertisement