Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

popolive wrote: »
    I saw a debate on another thread which was a few years old and people were taking the question seriously so I wanted to sort it out conclusively. Internationally agreed taxation treaties do govern how someone can be taxed especially if in the first year of employment someone spent more days in one country than another.

Yes indeed, why need Police at all when there are fine upstanding people like yourself who are willing to enforce pre-judgements without a proper trial, without knowing anything about the individual concerned. I think Deloitte should be informed ASAP of your amazing skills so that they can scrap the existing programme and just put you in charge. Then we can reject all potential Police candidates who don't pass your stringent exam concerning international taxation treaties. Or just maybe your vision needs correction yourself. I won't judge you as harshly mate. Judging you is not my job.
    I hope for your own sake that this is a wind up. I have years of experience at trolling myself so to be honest I laughed before I wrote this. Thank you Sir for that. If people don't know something they ask. Simples.

If you think you can pay Irish tax while doing a British police job quite frankly you're an idiot. the salary is taxed at source. I'm actually a qualified accountant if you which to clarify this.

Yep, if you think you can be a 'tax tourist' while representing the PSNI you're an idiot, no knowledge of tax treaties is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

thirdtime wrote: »
    If you think you can pay Irish tax while doing a British police job quite frankly you're an idiot. the salary is taxed at source.
    Yep, if you think you can be a 'tax tourist' while representing the PSNI you're an idiot, no knowledge of tax treaties is needed.

The key word here is ''If'' such as ''If you assume somebody you do not know to be an idiot then I have bad news for you''

I realize that there is a certain malaise going around which affects particular personality types who have been exposed to particular conditions. I feel at home all over Britain and Ireland. We are humans dealing with other humans so why are you so quick to write people off who you do not know ?

Just for fun like...
    I'm actually a qualified accountant if you which to clarify this.

Having low self esteem I like to brag about my achievements in the field of grammar. If accepted as a member of the grammar police I would use my discretion to let you off with a caution. You have enough problems as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

The key word here is ''If'' such as ''If you assume somebody you do not know to be an idiot then I have bad news for you''

I realize that there is a certain malaise going around which affects particular personality types who have been exposed to particular conditions. I feel at home all over Britain and Ireland. We are humans dealing with other humans so why are you so quick to write people off who you do not know ?

Just for fun like...

Having low self esteem I like to brag about my achievements in the field of grammar. If accepted as a member of the grammar police I would use my discretion to let you off with a caution. You have enough problems as it is.

You're a real nut job aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I don't think it's popolive who needs to consider a career in policing.

I'd personally prefer to see this thread back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

So back to the 2014 recruitment then.......................... wonder what the website going to say tomorrow? Cant see there being any difference in the campaign process?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

I'm not so sure that they'll change the process at all. I reckon it'll just be smoother with regard to what ICT qualifications will be accepted. The 'Find Out More' section of their website has already been updated with the new familiarisation event schedule and it still mentions about the PCA being showcased at the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

Sthm wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that they'll change the process at all. I reckon it'll just be smoother with regard to what ICT qualifications will be accepted. The 'Find Out More' section of their website has already been updated with the new familiarisation event schedule and it still mentions about the PCA being showcased at the events.

It makes sense they are showcasing the PCA as a lot of people were not prepared for it at all. It will give people who havent experienced it an idea of what to expect and what to train for.

Just seen that they must have updated the website early this time. Yeah I agree with you about the IT qualification. They couldn't really change the process much anyway wouldn't be fair to those in the first campaign. Roll on 28th May.

Just seen that they must have updated the website early this time. Yeah I agree with you about the IT qualification. They couldn't really change the process much anyway wouldn't be fair to those in the first campaign. Roll on 28th May.

I just advise that everyone starts training now and keeps training. Will help you for PCA and if you get in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Just seen this....

Computer Literacy
    Applicants are required to have a level of Computer Literacy, in order to effectively perform their role as a police constable. As part of the continuous improvement process applied to the recruitment of police constables, it has been decided that candidates will not have to present a formal IT qualification in order to demonstrate this competence. The specific IT skills required in the role of a police constable will instead be tested at different stages of the recruitment process, including:

At application stage through the use of an online application form;
    At assessment centre stage; and
    Through completion of online training courses in advance of entering the Police College.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

19087 wrote: »
    Just seen this....

Computer Literacy
    Applicants are required to have a level of Computer Literacy, in order to effectively perform their role as a police constable. As part of the continuous improvement process applied to the recruitment of police constables, it has been decided that candidates will not have to present a formal IT qualification in order to demonstrate this competence. The specific IT skills required in the role of a police constable will instead be tested at different stages of the recruitment process, including:

At application stage through the use of an online application form;
    At assessment centre stage; and
    Through completion of online training courses in advance of entering the Police College.

In other words we fooked up so bad last time we'll just not bother lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Will be interesting to see how they're going to assess IT literacy at the AC.

Homer01 wrote: »
    In other words we fooked up so bad last time we'll just not bother lol

Pretty much lol if you spent money getting one you would be fuming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Hmm I'm curious about ways to assess IT too... I wouldn't thought after all the IT drama last time round they wouldn't just made their requirements clearer.. But. There was the opportunity to see the PCA course at recruitment events last year but there was no where near as many events and it prob wasn't as widely advertised (the role was but they didn't shout about the recruitment events much). As above, I imagine competition will be tough now people have learnt from the last one. Shall be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I went and got an IT qualification for this current campaign I'm in.

Probably best thing for it that they test IT skills throughout the recruitment process after what happened in This campaign.

Good luck everyone!!

Hopefully those of us yet to hear get some word soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

If they assess your IT competency to the standard of the previously required qualification it essentially will mean if you can send an email and use an internet browser you're sorted.

I'll maybe be unpopular and say their initial requirements for IT qualifications were pretty clear to begin with last time in my opinion. The qualification in question was specified as having to be received after a registered exam. The problem arose when people searched online for the qualification and came upon companies offering to educate you to the required standard...but not mentioning they couldn't provide the official examination and certificate to go along with it.

The real confusion then came about when Deloitte went back and forth on whether to boot people out for their lack of understanding of what they did wrong or whether to give applicants extra time to receive an official certificate. In all honesty I felt Deloitte did more than they had to allowing people extra time, if it were up to me I'd have taken it as a sign they weren't able to follow the finer details of instruction. Luckily it's not up to me though :)

I may be proven wrong but I would imagine the number of applicants this year will be slightly lower than last time. There had been a recruitment break before last year's applications and so I would imagine this would contribute to more persons looking to join compared to when there is a recruitment drive every year.

Completely agree. It was very clear what was acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

Hello all
    Just new to the forum. I applied for the last campaign and missed out so was happy to see the recruitment to start again so soon. Was advised by a person who takes courses on the PSNI recruitment to join this forum because of the great community and advise. So good luck for this campaign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

sgtsnowy wrote: »
    Hello all
    Just new to the forum. I applied for the last campaign and missed out so was happy to see the recruitment to start again so soon. Was advised by a person who takes courses on the PSNI recruitment to join this forum because of the great community and advise. So good luck for this campaign!

Welcome Sgtsnowy

Will be interesting to see how they're going to assess IT literacy at the AC.

Maybe a huge multiplayer game of Call of Duty :D

• Advertisement

I think asking for IT qualifications was always a bad idea. Given the speed at which IT moves.

They accepted my GCSE Computer Studies from the 90's :eek:
    Useful at the time before mainstream internet, email and handheld devices. Now it bears little relevance to the needs of a PSNI constable in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

I think asking for IT qualifications was always a bad idea. Given the speed at which IT moves.

They accepted my GCSE Computer Studies from the 90's :eek:
    Useful at the time before mainstream internet, email and handheld devices. Now it bears little relevance to the needs of a PSNI constable in 2014.

From things I've been hearing they will assess you during the assessment centre with IT skills it will be the most basic stuff. If you read about an IT course PRRT offer it says 4 things social media Internet emails word processing and power point. So I say there will be a test on that. But like anything it's just another way of withering away at the numbers

Went to today's session.

No PCA to trial but have a video on loop. Massive emphasis on PCA and importance of training.
    The IT bit will be assessed with the actual application (no paper option) and an element within AC. Basically if you use computers at all you'll be fine. Also of course the online learning.

Someone earlier asked about skipping stages; NO. Don't matter where you were at you have to start from the beginning.

No specific areas they are 'targeting' unlike last time; so basically all over.

I found it very useful compared to the last one. Could be because it was a small group. If you can I'd recommend going to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mk1234

Was there today myself, sickens me after wanting this for so long that people applying for this recruitment were asking questions such as what is g'ville and a fella asking about training to be part of the dog unit, asking if he had to train the dog himself and told the staff he wouldn't be too sure about being able to look after the dog outside working hours because he already has one!! Seriouslyyyy is this what im up against? The thought of people like this actually gaining a place in G'ville really makes my blood boil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I love this!!

Probably the same person who posts their application on facebook.

mk1234 wrote: »
    Was there today myself, sickens me after wanting this for so long that people applying for this recruitment were asking questions such as what is g'ville and a fella asking about training to be part of the dog unit, asking if he had to train the dog himself and told the staff he wouldn't be too sure about being able to look after the dog outside working hours because he already has one!! Seriouslyyyy is this what im up against? The thought of people like this actually gaining a place in G'ville really makes my blood boil!

lol. My session had a few questions like 'when can we drive the Landrovers?' and 'do we have to drive around in the cars?'. Also a lot of interest in dog handlers. They thought leave GV and be a dog handler :rolleyes:

Scary stuff! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

lol. My session had a few questions like 'when can we drive the Landrovers?' and 'do we have to drive around in the cars?'. Also a lot of interest in dog handlers. They thought leave GV and be a dog handler :rolleyes:

Scary stuff! :eek:

Lol I predict it'll be about 6 mins after they sit the IST that they'll start to think 'actually I don't care if I never see a doggy again in my life as long as I get in' although we're all guilty of getting ahead of ourselves. It's too easy done!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Oh no you don't...

This user is going on a 7-day holiday for the 3 posts you see below. I won't have anyone addressed like this by anyone. I don't do it, and I won't tolerate it from anyone either. These were fair questions and the personal digs/attacks were completely unwarranted.

The user will also receive one infraction point on their profile for these 3 posts.

Please do not reply to this advisory post, and do not reply to any of the posts made by "thirdtime" below, as they will not be able to see you answer, and will not be able to answer until next week.

Let's get it back on-topic, please and thanks.

-Shield

You're a real nut job aren't you?
    If you think you can pay Irish tax while doing a British police job quite frankly you're an idiot. the salary is taxed at source. I'm actually a qualified accountant if you which to clarify this.

Yep the British govt are going allowing you work for them and pay Irish tax.
    The fact that you actually askedthis question shows you're lack of cop-on.
    For asking that question alone you really shouldn't be In a police force

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Infracted for personal abuse.

This infraction is for the quote below and this post.

No matter how personal you feel the remarks are, don't feed the troll. In other words, don't reply with personal abuse because you too will get an infraction. Instead, use the 'Report Post' function and let the Mods take care of it.

Please, no further comments on this advisory or this post as it has received moderation, and is now off limits as far as either replies or references to it.

Thanks, and back on-topic please.

-Shield.

Just for fun like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

I don't have a twitter account but I note someone else commented underneath it asking about numbers. I think 300 was quoted for 2015/16 as per the Chief Con letter as of recent?

Without sounding naive, I'd view it as more a good thing. Possibly suggests not enough are left in the merit list from the Sept 2013 drive to make up the 100 + 378 appointees.

Or, of course, it could mean that they're just starting their 2015/16 recruitment very early and it has no relation to how the current drive has went.

Either way, I'll be putting in an application to cover all bases.

727 people passed the assessment centre that applied for sept 2013 intake (so i was told) ....i was told there were 348 spaces available this intake so unless the guts of 360 people fail the physical, medical, drugs test, vetting or online learning or pull out for any reason there will be too many candidates as for places....

also heard theres a massive clamp down on tattoos - anyone know any truth to this?

Advertisement