Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

pcplod wrote: »
    did mine last week, seen 2 fellas there that i recognised! Hope i did mine in time for a possible call for the next intake, heres hoping......

Me too. Was still told by someone in PSNI to expect a 5/6 week wait after the medical letter confirming a pass. Fingers crossed for the 3rd intake. Still reapplying on 28th though

What kind of training are people doing for it? I've been training since end of march consistently and at the familiarisation I drilled the wall so I was comfortable with it but I don't know if I'm doing enough -their leaflet gives some idea but it doesn't seem like enough

I wouldn't have said I'm the fittest person alive. Tbh I try to go out running at least once a week, I horse ride twice a week and do some conditioning and kick boxing one night a week and help coach kids at gymnastics and lead horses round for a few hours for RDA once a week. I don't know what my time was but I passed so I'm happy with that. The leaflet is more what you'll be doing during your PT sessions once you're in GV. On the day of your PCA it's just 3 laps of the course and the push pull. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

From the last campaign :)
    You will be required to complete two short personal statements
    As part of the application, we will ask you to complete two short personal statements, outlining your motivation and suitability for the role. There is a strict word limit of 150 words for each of the statements:

Why are you interested in becoming a police constable? (150 words max)

Outline the skills you have and how they meet the requirements of the role of a police constable (150 words max)

It is recommended that you draft these responses in advance of completing the form, so that you can simply copy and paste in your answer, without worrying about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

My medical is next week.. not sure what that means for me. Hoping for third intake, but may be fourth?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

My medical is next week.. not sure what that means for me. Hoping for third intake, but may be fourth?

How much notice do you get for the medical?

• Advertisement

I got just over 2 weeks notice for medical and found out the result just over a week after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Hi all,

Could we keep this thread on topic for this latest campaign please?

There are PCA and Medical threads for those subjects. If it is posted in here it will just get lost.

We are at the beginning of the process and taking one step at a time.

Don't want to be a d*ck but an organised forum is a happy forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

crinkley wrote: »
    How much notice do you get for the medical?

mine was about 3 weeks notice

Lol sorry :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Homer01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could we keep this thread on topic for this latest campaign please?

There are PCA and Medical threads for those subjects. If it is posted in here it will just get lost.

We are at the beginning of the process and taking one step at a time.

Don't want to be a d*ck but an organised forum is a happy forum :D

Thank you Homer for doing this. I was going to say something it was starting to annoy me lol all the talk of PCA and Medicals when they have threads already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in and say hello and good luck for everyone applying for this campaign. I'm glad to see familiar names and new ones too. Very happy to get another shot so soon.

Can I ask if someone could PM me as I want to invest in the practice tests and practice assessment centres, if anyone has details or info on this it would be very much appreciated.

I seen things online regarding practice test papers etc and I don't know how genuine they are but information would be welcomed. Many thanks and good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Minty08

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in and say hello and good luck for everyone applying for this campaign. I'm glad to see familiar names and new ones too. Very happy to get another shot so soon.

Can I ask if someone could PM me as I want to invest in the practice tests and practice assessment centres, if anyone has details or info on this it would be very much appreciated.

I seen things online regarding practice test papers etc and I don't know how genuine they are but information would be welcomed. Many thanks and good luck everyone :)

Could I get this info too please?? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Well, here we go again!

This will be my second campaign.

What about everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

the411 wrote: »
    Well, here we go again!

This will be my second campaign.

What about everyone else?

2nd time for me too. Tanked IST last time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjboyle96

Sorry for this long lost of questions but I would appreciate if I could get a response, can someone tell me the full list of procedures from when you register on the 28th of May? Do I need to be able I swim? When does the medical take place after you apply and do they do drug tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

jjboyle96 wrote: »
    Sorry for this long lost of questions but I would appreciate if I could get a response, can someone tell me the full list of procedures from when you register on the 28th of May? Do I need to be able I swim? When does the medical take place after you apply and do they do drug tests?

If you go onto the website the full list of procedures is there explaining everything. You don't get to the medical unless you pass the IST, AC, Vetting, PCA then it's the medical so could be months before that stage and yes they do a drug test. All explained as I said on the website.

No you don't need to be able to swim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you are 18 I wouldn't be rushing to get into the career just yet.

IMO you should travel for a bit, I think you won't get the opportunity to do that for the next 30 odd years! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Juliet Kilo

I'm sorry but I too am going to sound condescending. I wouldn't worry too much about the medical as applicants for this campaign are miles from this stage. Of course there is a drugs (substance misuse) test. I'm not sure how far they test back to but if you have reason to be worried about a drugs test I would suggest you abstain from as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

I too would like some info on practice assessments and papers if anyone has it I would be grateful for it. I do know we are all in competition however and it may be asking a lot to help someone who is competing with you.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

Wonder how many will apply this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

if we go by the tags on the facebook posts too many empty heads anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

...seriously....

read the joinpsni site and all will be revealed

VES86 wrote: »
    if we go by the tags on the facebook posts too many empty heads anyway

Was thinking that myself. I had to give off to a friend who tagged me in it!!! Brains and dynamite sprung to mind lol. I know she meant well but seriously?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

really don't mean to sound rude,,,but,,,,seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjboyle96

pcplod wrote: »
    really don't mean to sound rude,,,but,,,,seriously??

well they dont necessarily give you step by step of whats required, was just asking for a bit more detail..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

well they dont necessarily give you step by step of whats required, was just asking for a bit more detail..

There's a step by step on the join psni website. Think it's called 'Guidance for Applicants' or something along those lines. Well worth a read!

Think it'll be similar numbers. I wonder how many have been dusting of the satchel and doing their GCSEs this last year!

Could be quite a few from the south too who were unsuccessful with the guards. Also their remuneration package isn't great (to say the least) so they'll be a few heads turned to the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr.Peanut2

It will be interesting to see the pay scale they are recruiting on, with the rest of UK going to 19k starting. I see they've removed the payscales off the joinpsni website! Used to say 23.350k starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Mr.Peanut2 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see the pay scale they are recruiting on, with the rest of UK going to 19k starting. I see they've removed the payscales off the joinpsni website! Used to say 23.350k starting

Noticed that myself. However, I was at one of the recent familiarisation sessions and a rep from HR confirmed that the starting salary remains the same.

• Advertisement

Mr.Peanut2 wrote: »

Salary seems to have been removed from the Guidance for Applicants too. Strange

Advertisement