Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player/Young Player Of The Year Nominees 2013/14

• 18-04-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

POTY

Luis Suarez
    Eden Hazard
    Yaya Toure
    Steven Gerrard
    Daniel Sturridge
    Adam Lallana

YPOTY

Eden Hazard
    Raheem Sterling
    Luke Shaw
    Ross Barkley
    Aaron Ramsey
    Daniel Sturridge

Shall we get a poll going?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

More than likely ...
    POTY
    Luis Suarez

YPOTY
    Eden Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

POTY - Suarez

YPOTY - Shaw or Sterling, having 23 and 24 year olds on that list is stupid.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

POTY - Suarez

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

POTY - Suarez

Agreed it grates me. The YPOTY should be the award for the upcoming talent in the game not Hazard and Sturridge, they are already established stars. The fact Bale won it last year and secured a world record fee for his services shows it for the farce it is.

21 should be the cut off.

Sterling, Barkley, Shaw should be the only names on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Surprised they didn't nominate Bale for YPOTY again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

PFA young player of the year state player needs to be 23 or under at start of season, so don't see why 23 and 24 year olds can't be suggested here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Should be rookie of the year. Ramsey, Sturridge and Hazard should never be on a list like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If Liverpool go on to win it Gerrard is going to get POTY imo, (not because he has been the best player but he has been good and all the other stuff that will influence the voting too) and Sturridge probably to take the YPTOY

How its should go really I suppose would be Suarez POTY and Hazard YPTOY

PFA young player of the year state player needs to be 23 or under at start of season, so don't see why 23 and 24 year olds can't be suggested here.

I know the rules, doesn't mean I can't disagree with them. At 23 youve probably been playing top level first team football for 5+ years, it should be left to the breakthrough players like Shaw, Sterling, Barkley and Januzaj.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I know the rules, doesn't mean I can't disagree with them. At 23 youve probably been playing top level first team football for 5+ years, it should be left to the breakthrough players like Shaw, Sterling, Barkley and Januzaj.

You could even put Flanagan in there probably.

• Advertisement

Suarez and Hazard would be the logical pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Votes are already cast. Liverpool winning the league won't change anything.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez and Hazard would be the logical pick.

I agree with the 24yr old thing but then surely then Jordan Henderson should be there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

AdamD wrote: »
    Should be rookie of the year. Ramsey, Sturridge and Hazard should never be on a list like that.

Definitely. There should be a total number of career games (first team, obviously) cut off point.

Be it another award entirely, or just add the stipulation to the current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Votes are already cast. Liverpool winning the league won't change anything.

Thats what I was thinking. They've narrowed it down, then they shortlist the last 3, then the winner is announced iirc

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I agree with the 24yr old thing but then surely then Jordan Henderson should be there somewhere.

I've been much more impressed with Henderson than Gerrard this season, Gerrard was quite poor for half the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I would have Henderson over Gerrard on the list for me and im a city fan.

Gerrard since Christmas has been superb, he really has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

POKERKING wrote: »
    I would have Henderson over Gerrard on the list for me and im a city fan.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard since Christmas has been superb, he really has.

Next three games will probably show up just how important Henderson is, I suppose.

Agree that Gerrard has been immense since Christmas, Villa game aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I agree with the YPOTY, it really should be guys starting the season at 21 at the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henderson deserved to be nominated in one of the awards IMO. He has been very unlucky not to get a look in between both awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently James Milner once won young player of the year in his 8th season as a professional.

Think Silva is unlucky not to be nominated for POTY and Henderson for YPOTY (even though I feel it really should be for U-21's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Where is Coleman?
    He has been excellent this season.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Where is Coleman?
    He has been excellent this season.

Overage for young player anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In theory Sterling or Shaw could win the YPOTY for the next 6 years (inculding this one). Silly cut off age, tbh. I remember the English media taking the piss out of Ireland when Terry Phelan won the FAI young player of the year at age 25, but they are not far off themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Suarez should win it, but Gerrard at 16/1 is definitely worth a punt.

Being English, going to world cup as captain, leading pool on a title charge in the twilight of his career etc...

Had to check there and Gerrard has never won the Player of the year in the Premier League.

Juninho, Freddie Ljungberg, Dwight Yorke and Kevin Phillips have all won it.

Did win the Player's player of the year alright in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The only way Gerrard would win it would be a surge of lifetime achievement votes from people happy to see Liverpool win the the league, should they do it.

But were the votes not already done ages ago? So he won't get those types of votes.

Its a moot point anyway, there is no doubt in my mind Suarez is going to win it, it won't even be close.

If Gerrard won it, it would be a Giggs-style farce (though not quite as bad). He's simply not been the best player in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Had to check there and Gerrard has never won the Player of the year in the Premier League.

Juninho, Freddie Ljungberg, Dwight Yorke and Kevin Phillips have all won it.

Did win the Player's player of the year alright in 2006.

Eh this is the same award isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Suarez and Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If votes are already cast it's hard to see how it won't be Suarez and Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The way John stones is playing he'll be a cert for the young player award next season

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Suarez and Hazard(though Barkley will pick up a good few votes)

I lost interest in it when Micheal Owen voted Bale Player of Year but voted for someone else for YPOTY even though Bale was nominated for it. Surely you should have to give up your right to vote after that!

eh i dunno wrote: »
    The way John stones is playing he'll be a cert for the young player award next season

He'll have plenty of competition anyway when players nearly in their mid-20's are still eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Seen on twitter Joey Barton cast his vote a few weeks ago with Suarez and Henderson I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

So is this list the top 6 of each section according to the votes already cast?

Advertisement