Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ninja 250 small sprocket cover

• 18-04-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering has anyone ever had any trouble removing the small sprocket cover on a ninja 250 and if so how you managed to get it off, I've removed the gear shifter and also 3 screws that attach the cover over the sprocket, there doesn't seem to be any other screws to be removed, I'm having awful trouble with it, tried putting a bit of muscle into it but my hands and fingers are killing me now, tried putting a small rope in there to latch around the cover but again to no success. I just want to clean up all the gunk in there, am I missing something simple or does it just require a bit more patience and leverage, there does seem to be a bit of give but still won't come off.cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

wee guide on it here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_change_the_front_sprocket%3F

it shouldnt take that much force to remove a plastic cover, so dont go overboard, else you'll be having to replace something..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Wossack wrote: »
    wee guide on it here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_change_the_front_sprocket%3F

it shouldnt take that much force to remove a plastic cover, so dont go overboard, else you'll be having to replace something..!

Thanks wossack, I'll give it another go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I had a lot of trouble removing the sprocket cover on my Ninja 250 too. Gunk and/or factory sealant seize it in place. No amount of tapping or pulling/shoving would budge it. In the end I got a piece of wood, and from the otherside of the bike, used it as leverage against somewhere on the engine (can't remember exactly), to slowly work it off. It took a bit of effort, and it was a fairly tight fit (getting the piece of wood into the right place), but worked okay.

rat_race wrote: »
    I had a lot of trouble removing the sprocket cover on my Ninja 250 too. Gunk and/or factory sealant seize it in place. No amount of tapping or pulling/shoving would budge it. In the end I got a piece of wood, and from the otherside of the bike, used it as leverage against somewhere on the engine (can't remember exactly), to slowly work it off. It took a bit of effort, and it was a fairly tight fit (getting the piece of wood into the right place), but worked okay.

Actually, I think I hit the wood a hammer, pretty damn hard. Did the trick. Don't think I used any leverage to budge it.

rat_race wrote: »
    Actually, I think I hit the wood a hammer, pretty damn hard. Did the trick. Don't think I used any leverage to budge it.

Cheers rat race, got it off in the end, used a very slender long piece of wood and hit in from underneath the bike and through the bike from other side. In the process of cleaning it now,what a nightmare, this is my first time cleaning it and am quite new to DIY on the motorbike, the gunk is so gunky and am trying to get everything off the cover so I can get it to look grand spanking shiny new, gave the sprocket and all the bits inside a good clean too but by god it's a mess. Would you recommend any cleaning sprays or anti gunk sprays?

• Advertisement

Cheers rat race, got it off in the end, used a very slender long piece of wood and hit in from underneath the bike and through the bike from other side. In the process of cleaning it now,what a nightmare, this is my first time cleaning it and am quite new to DIY on the motorbike, the gunk is so gunky and am trying to get everything off the cover so I can get it to look grand spanking shiny new, gave the sprocket and all the bits inside a good clean too but by god it's a mess. Would you recommend any cleaning sprays or anti gunk sprays?

Get some kind of degreaser...or chain cleaner spray -- though I find most chain cleaners to be kinda ****, and some degreasers barely work, while others work great.

Kerosene (i.e., diesel) or similar would be very good too...I find some bicycle teflon lubes to be really excellent cleaners too...

Whatever you do, rinse off with water afterwards. You definitely won't clean that stuff easily with just hot water and car shampoo! :)

Get a good thick brush at it!

Gave it a good clean alright, but my feelings of accomplishment dwindled soon after when I dropped the bike on its side when trying to take it off the centre stand, the side of the house broke most of its fall thankfully but broke the right mirror. Currently looking on ebay for just the mirror plate as opposed to the whole 'wing'. :(

Gave it a good clean alright, but my feelings of accomplishment dwindled soon after when I dropped the bike on its side when trying to take it off the centre stand, the side of the house broke most of its fall thankfully but broke the right mirror. Currently looking on ebay for just the mirror plate as opposed to the whole 'wing'. :(

You got lucky, could have been worse!! I just view the odd accident as part and parcel of being a biker who does DIY...

Advertisement