Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which route to Cavan

• 18-04-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭

Wondering can anyone advise as to which of these is the best route in terms if surface, safety, food stops for cycling to Cavan from Sligo.

Route One: Via N4.
    13898655866_03c4d17798_b_d.jpg
    Don't like the bit of this route between Collooney and Castlebaldwin as it's a v. Dangerous. But it has good surface the whole way and better options for food stops.

Route 2 via a few R roads.
    13898640951_c7fdce9056_b_d.jpg
    Not 100% sure about surfaces on this route. It seems more scenic but have been informed it's a bit bendy. There's roadworks on it as well. Anyone know this route?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Personally I would go with the second route. I have cycled the stretch between Collooney and Ballinamore within the last couple of weeks and the surface is very good for the most part. Very scenic and while roads are narrow with no hard shoulder the traffic was light and considerate. Roads in Cavan are good for cycling on too. Only a small stretch of road works just before Ballyfarnon that I came across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

You can avoid the Collooney to Castlebaldwin stretch on the N4 (which I hate) and go through Riverstown and either cut back on to the N4 or follow the lake shore along Lough Arrow and Lough Key which is a lovely cycle.

CCBA9BB47DF94E699CED64BEFF037C83-0000317779-0003545510-00546L-D84939E72DF64DF8B0796924B8D27FCE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

@easwe I cycled another route on a charity event last year. Great roads after a small section near Ballyconell and not alot of traffic. It is very lumpy though so i would only recommend if you want a challenge

https://www.strava.com/activities/43596971

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Thanks all, I'm inclined towards the Drumshanbo, Ballinamore route
    Whacker00's suggestion looks like a good challenge but it's just a bit out of my way.

Darkvalley: What are the road works like near Ballyfarnon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I did Keadue near Drumshambo to Drumkeeran, Dromahair and around Lough Gill into Sligo this morning. It was a really nice spin, great roads, fairly flat and fab countryside.
    Definitely my spin of the year so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

EaSwe wrote: »
    Darkvalley: What are the road works like near Ballyfarnon?

They had traffic lights and letting through a single lane of traffic at a time for about half a mile of road. Think they were laying water pipes. I didn't make it all the way through before traffic from the other side came against me, but I just went inside the bollards they had up and rode on other side of road. No problem with it at all. Now that I think of it, the road works were between Ballyfarnon and Geevagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Thanks for the replies, I'm leaving at 7:30 tomorrow going via the second route (Drumshanbo). Might take whacker's hilly route some other day..

Advertisement