Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andriod phone for going abroad

• 18-04-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm heading away soon and I need to have a phone with me. I was told getting a calling card in each country was the best for cost.
    I want to use wifi where I can, so I'm looking for an android phone (Samsung if possible).
    I'm going to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand. Does anyone know what phones will work out there?
    I know we use triband here, but I dont know what they use out there.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well, plain ol' GSM 900 is all over the place, including those countries you mentioned. There would be some degree of W-CDMA/HSPA coverage in most of them as well. Any GSM-compatible phone will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, plain ol' GSM 900 is all over the place, including those countries you mentioned. There would be some degree of W-CDMA/HSPA coverage in most of them as well. Any GSM-compatible phone will do fine.
    So any andriod phone will cover GSM 900?
    I don't want to be taking an expensive phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kiddums wrote: »

Anything that functions as a cellular telephone, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

kiddums wrote: »

Go for one of the Chinese Android ones over there?

Make sure it has a decent processor, not an MTK one, as you want decent GPS if your away....

Advertisement