Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend with the young wan in Limerick.

• 18-04-2014 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

PLanning a trip out of Cork.

Any nice things to do? Shopping (for herself)? Tourist stuff?

I'm trying to decide between Kilkenny and Limerick.

Deadline is 8pm tonight :D

edit: Just realized Bunratty castle is nearby. Is this any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bunratty is great, been there 3 or 4 times over the years, especially if the weather is good (which its meant to be this weekend)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 NinjaMasterPro

What about shopping or other things to do in and around the city? I don't have a car.

Is the university nice for a stroll around? What about King Johns castle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I live in Limerick.

I'd go to Kilkenny to be honest. Or Cork. Or Killarney. Or Galway.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

King John's Castle is supposed to be excellent since it re-opened..
    The Milk Market on a Saturday morning is gorgeous.
    Stroll around People's Park and the art gallery.
    Shopping in town and in the Crescent.
    Pint by the river if the weather is nice and a stroll along the board-walk, across Sarsfield Bridge and down the strand towards the Treaty Stone for another quiet one in the Curragower.
    Plenty of nice restaurants to choose from too.
    SamAK wrote: »
    I live in Limerick.

You're hardly going to plan a weekend away in your home city. :rolleyes:

I live in Limerick.

Why is that? Very high scum to human ratio in Limerick?

I'm from Cork and the only problem with Kilkenny is public transport. There are like 3 changes on the Kilkenny-Cork bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm from Cork and the only problem with Kilkenny is public transport. There are like 3 changes on the Kilkenny-Cork bus.

If that's your attitude, you would probably be better off staying at home. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If that's your attitude, you would probably be better off staying at home. :rolleyes:

Great work lads, scare away the tourists. Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Bunratty is great. We live close by and go regularly. On Monday there is an easter event which might be of interest...http://www.shannonheritage.com/Events/AnnualEvents/EasteratBunratty/ ...easter eggs, usually an easter bonnet competition, characters and so on. If you are not staying till Monday, there is Craggaunowen, http://www.shannonheritage.com/Events/AnnualEvents/EasteratCraggaunowen/ who are doing their easter thing on Sunday. Bunratty is about 15 mins drive from city centre and craggaunowen is another 15 mins beyond that. Craggaunowen is a little out of the way but if you need directions, I'd be happy to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

An File wrote: »
    King John's Castle is supposed to be excellent since it re-opened..
    The Milk Market on a Saturday morning is gorgeous.
    Stroll around People's Park and the art gallery.
    Shopping in town and in the Crescent.
    Pint by the river if the weather is nice and a stroll along the board-walk, across Sarsfield Bridge and down the strand towards the Treaty Stone for another quiet one in the Curragower.
    Plenty of nice restaurants to choose from too.

You're hardly going to plan a weekend away in your home city. :rolleyes:

You're right, i'm not. I lived in the county for all my life and only moved to the city two years ago. Before then it was a foreign place! So I do know what it's like to see through fresh eyes.

Milk Market is definitely nice on Saturday. Expect quite a crowd and a good atmosphere...grab a coffee and wander round, browse craft stalls and buy nibbles.

People's park is good, but small. Same for the art gallery!

Load of places for good lunch, and dinner..plenty of pubs etc for evening drinks. Outside table at the Locke Bar next to Abbey river is great on a sunny day.

King Johns castle...I was there a few weeks ago....nice castle I suppose, well built :) Lovely view from the top of the towers.

Cellar door - underground coffee house on Foxes bow, great atmosphere, cosy as you can get. Good for quiet chats with significant others. Glass of wine and a slice of choccy cake in the early evening by candlelight..

And no, scum ratio is the same as any other city. The good far outweigh the bad, and one thing i've learned since moving here is that Limerick's reputation over the years was exaggerated nonsense perpetrated by people who don't live here.

Shopping - plenty of clothes shops etc to bleed you dry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What did they say that was wrong? Scum are scum, are they not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

King Johns recently got a revamp - worth checking out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bunratty, King John's Castle, Hunt Museum, river walk, St Mary's Cathedral are worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Honestly - i dont see Limerick as a destination city in Ireland. Cork, Galway & Dublin are - Kilkenny also.

I always feel a bit sorry for tourists i see wandering around. There are few attractions like the castle/Hunt Museum but as a city/shopping destination i dont think its up to much.

I live here, in the city centre and think its a good place to live, filled with lots of nice people but its just not a destination city. Its like Frankfurt while Galway is like Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

The way I see it is that if you come to Limerick for an overnight you should have a nice time. Best urban/city riverside walks in the country in my opinion. Decent hotels/restaurants/pubs/cafes. As already mentioned; King Johns Castle, Milk Market, St Marys Cathedral are worth visiting along with a number of other galleries if that's your thing. I do feel however that shopping is very limited in the city center. Might be worth checking the websites of Dolans, Lime Tree Theatre, Cobblestone Joes, Blind Pig, UCH for gigs/shows etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, just be aware that the Crescent Shopping Centre is closed on Easter Sunday and I would imagine lots of shops would be the same and not just in Limerick.

Well, I hate attitudes like yours. :) Why can't people accept criticism of their own town?

It wasn't even criticism anyway, I was just asking a question. You have an auld chip on your shoulder there.

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, just be aware that the Crescent Shopping Centre is closed on Easter Sunday and I would imagine lots of shops would be the same and not just in Limerick.

Bunratty Castle is open Sunday so that's our plan. Maybe a trip out to Adare too. Nice spot is it? Any tips?

An File wrote: »

Pint by the river if the weather is nice

Tis a long river. Where is this good pinting spot?

Clohessy's is probably your best bet. Not a particularly special pub, but a great location on sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Thats bull im from clare and go to limerick alot it a grand spot you wont find trouble on less you look for it . Public transport is good if you do go to bunraty see if there is a banquet the food is nice you have to eat with you hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

The Locke Bar has a large riverside terrace, and is close to King John's Castlse and St Mary's Cathedral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Parchment wrote: »
    Honestly - i dont see Limerick as a destination city in Ireland. Cork, Galway & Dublin are - Kilkenny also.

I always feel a bit sorry for tourists i see wandering around. There are few attractions like the castle/Hunt Museum but as a city/shopping destination i dont think its up to much.

I live here, in the city centre and think its a good place to live, filled with lots of nice people but its just not a destination city. Its like Frankfurt while Galway is like Berlin.

I have to say that this is a uniquely Limerick attitude.

The city, for it's size has ample tourists attractions, within the city centre, as has already been mentioned, King Johns Castle (€9), which is a 3 hour visit since they redeveloped it, Hunt Museum (€5, free on Sundays and St Mary Cathedral (€3) is another hour, hour and a half...add in the Limerick City Museum (free), Frank McCourt Museum(?), The Thomond Park Staduim Tour plus museum, the Limerick Art Gallery.

The Milk Market on a Saturday morning is well worth a visit.

As is Limericks Walking tours, http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186621-d3682941-Reviews-Limerick_City_Walking_Tours-Limerick_County_Limerick.html...check out the reviews.

This very day, for free, you can visit Ormeston House to view The Enclave, EVA art exhibition in 3 different locations in the City Centre (Limerick Art Galley, The Milk Factory, Hunt Museum)

Check out the urban street art that is covering the city, it is everywhere.

The city has a very rich history, it is, and always has been a very interesting city, there is a very good reason why it has been seiged 6 times.

Imagine if other cities had as choice as wide as that, there has never been as much tourists in this city as there has been over the last year or so, do not for a second feel sorry for the them, they are here by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Durty Nellies is in Bunratty, beside the river, and the castle, probably the most famous Irish pub of them all.

I have to say that this is a uniquely Limerick attitude.

The city, for it's size has ample tourists attractions, within the city centre, as has already been mentioned, King Johns Castle (€9), which is a 3 hour visit since they redeveloped it, Hunt Museum (€5, free on Sundays and St Mary Cathedral (€3) is another hour, hour and a half...add in the Limerick City Museum (free), Frank McCourt Museum(?), The Thomond Park Staduim Tour plus museum, the Limerick Art Gallery.

The Milk Market on a Saturday morning is well worth a visit.

As is Limericks Walking tours, http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186621-d3682941-Reviews-Limerick_City_Walking_Tours-Limerick_County_Limerick.html...check out the reviews.

This very day, for free, you can visit Ormeston House to view The Enclave, EVA art exhibition in 3 different locations in the City Centre (Limerick Art Galley, The Milk Factory, Hunt Museum)

Check out the urban street art that is covering the city, it is everywhere.

The city has a very rich history, it is, and always has been a very interesting city, there is a very good reason why it has been seiged 6 times.

Imagine if other cities had as choice as wide as that, there has never been as much tourists in this city as there has been over the last year or so, do not for a second feel sorry for the them, they are here by choice.

If someone isnt interested in Art.....or history or sport and just wants a city to stroll around in/eat/have a few drinks - i dont think its a great city for it. Honestly i go to Cork and have never went to any of the museums/attractions there and can still just enjoy the city. I dont think Limerick has that.

Its ok for me to think that way - i still dont mind living here!

If someone isnt interested in Art.....or history or sport and just wants a city to stroll around in/eat/have a few drinks - i dont think its a great city for it. Honestly i go to Cork and have never went to any of the museums/attractions there and can still just enjoy the city. I dont think Limerick has that.

I think Limerick is a far nicer city to stroll around in/eat and have a few drinks than cork! All cork really has is one long open street that attracts tourists. there is loads of fine dining and great pubs in Limerick

Mc Love wrote: »
    I think Limerick is a far nicer city to stroll around in/eat and have a few drinks than cork! All cork really has is one long open street that attracts tourists. there is loads of fine dining and great pubs in Limerick

Can you recommend some good looking streets to stroll around? I really dont have a clue about Limerick.

I'm not interested in art or history or sport. Guess I'm fcuked then. I am hoping i can jut go for nice strolls around the city with the missus, go to a cafe or do a bit of shopping.

By the way nobody recommend shopping places?

Today is a beautiful day to be honest, walk along thomas st and bedford row, there are plenty of cafes etc to take your fancy. You have the fashion quarter for the young wan :) that is just a block over from Thomas st.

Lovely walks by the river on the both sides and great views of King Johns Castle from Clancys Strand and you could even enjoy the good weather from the beer garden of the Curragower pub over looking the river and KJ Castle. Quite a nice new boardwalk on that side of the river too along with the Treaty stone on your way to KJ Castle. If you are over that way, there is a great little pub that extends out the back onto the river where you are certain to meet some interesting characters is JJ Bowles pub right around the corner from another impressive coffee/deli shop Jack Mondays

From O'Connell St, you can walk towards the milk market which can be accessed by Denmark St and Robert St or by Ellen St. There's great food to be had in the Milk market. As others have said you could drop in to the Locke Bar which is over looking the Abbey river and is right next to city hall/St. Marys cathedral which is worth a visit, the decor inside is beautiful. Right around the corner on Nicholas St is where the Castle is so either way you have great food and good drinking establishments :)

Hope you have a great time in Limerick - Adare will also be beautiful tomorrow, walk up the village and just at the corner there is a pub called Bill Chawkes - great for food and a nice beer garden too. Also on your way in to adare, the golf club is a good place to stop in for a walk around the course as there are many beautiful ruins and its also a nice spot for a bit of grub

What age is your wife/girlfriend? that will dictate the shops that will be of interest to her.

• Advertisement

Where is the "fashion quarter"?

Girlfriend is 27 so I'd be looking for H&M, Next etc.

Advertisement