Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday present for granny from new grandchild?

Options
  • 18-04-2014 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

My LO is the first grandchild on my OHs side so they are absolutely smitten with him. His granny's birthday is coming up next week and she's had a fairly rough year so we would like to get her something special from the baby to cheer her up. Was looking in mothercare today and they had loads of 'grandad' stuff but no granny things. We already gave her a lovely photo of the baby for mothers day. Has anyone spotted anything nice around the shops? It's too late to order anything online at this stage....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What is LO? Please say it's not little one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

What is LO? Please say it's not little one.

:confused:
    Yes, it is little one. It's an abbreviation that is used frequently in the parenting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My LO is the first grandchild on my OHs side so they are absolutely smitten with him. His granny's birthday is coming up next week and she's had a fairly rough year so we would like to get her something special from the baby to cheer her up. Was looking in mothercare today and they had loads of 'grandad' stuff but no granny things. We already gave her a lovely photo of the baby for mothers day. Has anyone spotted anything nice around the shops? It's too late to order anything online at this stage....

They are not to everyone's taste but what about a Willow tree figure? I love them and they used to have a lovely one for grandmothers.

They are not to everyone's taste but what about a Willow tree figure? I love them and they used to have a lovely one for grandmothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Gee_G wrote: »

That's a great idea, they are fab :D I actually think she has one of these already so I know she likes them :) Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes, it is little one. It's an abbreviation that is used frequently in the parenting forum.

From the Parenting forum charter:
    Posting in "TxtSpk"
    Please don't do this, enough said.
    This includes forum abbreviations such as DD, DS, OH etc. They make reading the forums difficult for those new to them. The parenting forum has been set up to be as inclusive as possible for anyone who is involved with rearing children and we hope to keep it that way. These acronyms are both cliquey and pointless.

Cliquey in that if you're part of the crowd you'll know them and if you don't get them you'll feel like an outsider. This forum is inclusive and these acronyms are not - so don't use them.

Pointless: As J.M. Dodd, Chief Internet Officer of Offbeat Empire said, "Acronyming saves you seconds, and costs readers minutes as they try to translate." - so don't use them. E.g "Son" is three characters, DS is two. Take the time to write the word that everyone understands.

That's a great idea, they are fab :D I actually think she has one of these already so I know she likes them :) Thanks!

I love them and I think they are such great presents! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

What about a handmade card with some hand and foot prints on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Abbreviations aren't actually allowed in the parenting forum though, it's in the forum charter. We do try to edit posts with abbreviations in them but it's getting a major problem now. I'm going to do another announcement and sticky it.

I see Zaph got there before me...

I don't mind abbreviations like lo and ds, I don't feel like it makes threads harder to read. Things like b4 and that kind of text speech is awful and makes it very difficult to read and should be banned but I think lo, dh, ds etc should be allowed. Just my thoughts sorry for going off topic. Maybe a poll of users from parenting forum would be a good idea to help decide what should and shouldn't be allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

We're getting granny on my husbands side an ipad mini from the apple refurb. store. We have apple products and she can facetime us at any stage to see her grandson and also download all pictures I email her to a small device that she can carry around with her easily. We tried skype but she couldn't get the hang of it so facetime is a little easier as she tried our ipad when we left it behind before. My parents have ipads and love to facetime a few times a week to enjoy feeding time and bath time. Not a gift that everyone will like but hopefully she'll get use out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

sari wrote: »
    I don't mind abbreviations like lo and ds, I don't feel like it makes threads harder to read. Things like b4 and that kind of text speech is awful and makes it very difficult to read and should be banned but I think lo, dh, ds etc should be allowed. Just my thoughts sorry for going off topic. Maybe a poll of users from parenting forum would be a good idea to help decide what should and shouldn't be allowed?

It's just bizarre, like in a normal real life conversation would you refer to your "dear husband", "dear son", etc? Posts with those sort of acronyms just hurt my brain, it's not that I don't understand them, it's that I don't understand why on earth anyone would WANT to use them! Also I can see how it would absolutely be offputting to new posters.

No I wouldn't I call them by their name which isn't suitable for an anonymous for really, so I guess that's why people use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

sari wrote: »
    No I wouldn't I call them by their name which isn't suitable for an anonymous for really, so I guess that's why people use them

Why not just husband/boyfriend/son/daughter/whatever? Come on, it's really not THAT much extra effort, is it? And at least then everyone will understand what you're talking about!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wouldn't consider them textspeak, no more than imo, p.s., etc., et cetera. It's just a forum thing, much like in the soccer forum you could say e.g. FT, CL, EL, SPL and so on, it takes 2 seconds to google.

I think the problem is some people just think it sounds stupid..

On topic, I know you already gave her a photo, but how about a locket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

I love that this is the one parenting forum that doesn't use these cringey abbreviations! Don't ever change, Boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

it takes 2 seconds to google.
    If one needs to spend time on Google to understand what you are saying, supposedly in English, then you have lost the ability to communicate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No Pants wrote: »
    If one needs to spend time on Google to understand what you are saying, supposedly in English, then you have lost the ability to communicate.

That's pretty disingenuous

Edit: I dont think its fair to the OP* to continue to disrupt their thread* so perhaps a mod* could split out this entire part of the discussion?

*I hope I havent lost the ability to communicate:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

What about one of those handprint/footprint things in frames? You can get them as cheap as you like where you make it yourself or you can get a fancy one done in the likes of mothercare. What is your budget op? (Original poster ;-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

*I hope I havent lost the ability to communicate:rolleyes:
    Not at all. You used words. Whole words.

• Advertisement
Advertisement