Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual boot

Options
  • 18-04-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭

I managed to dual boot my tosbiha satellite Pro c650 so it will run xp and and windows 8.1 it works a treat for running the sims on xp or any other games I had.

One of friends asked me to do it for her laptop as her laptop won't run sims on windows 8.

I've hit a snag tho. Hers is a Toshiba satellite pro c50d-a-138. Which has this new setting in the bios called uefi firmware and I change touch it. Mine didn't have it so it meant I could change the sata option from achi to comparability.

I tried going into advance restart an getting into the uefi that way but it just puts me back to the bios screen and it still won't let me change it.

Is there anyway of getting around this an dual bootting it for her.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

sugarman wrote: »
    Why bother installing it?

Just use XP mode in W7/8 or at least instal it using a VM

I wasn't aware of an xp mode on the system at all. I'll try it that an hopefully that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I wasn't aware of an xp mode on the system at all. I'll try it that an hopefully that works.

The other guy's response isn't very good for your situation. You mentioned your friend wants to play Sims. Assuming you mean Sims 3, this is a graphically demanding game (not to the same scale as say Crysis or Battlefield of course, but still wants a fair bit of GPU horsepower), meaning that the OS that Sims is running on needs direct access to the GPU. If you run a VM, that's a virtual machine, basically a fake operating system in a program that sits on top of your main operating system. The disadvantage is that typically a VM does not have direct access to the GPU, the VM'd OS can't "see" your graphics card, it doesn't know it's plugged into your computer and thus, it can't make use of its horsepower.
    Even if you get a VM'd Win XP up and running and install Sims, it more than likely will run far slower than it should. This is because as far as Win XP is concerned, it's running on a machine with a weak GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    The other guy's response isn't very good for your situation. You mentioned your friend wants to play Sims. Assuming you mean Sims 3, this is a graphically demanding game (not to the same scale as say Crysis or Battlefield of course, but still wants a fair bit of GPU horsepower), meaning that the OS that Sims is running on needs direct access to the GPU. If you run a VM, that's a virtual machine, basically a fake operating system in a program that sits on top of your main operating system. The disadvantage is that typically a VM does not have direct access to the GPU, the VM'd OS can't "see" your graphics card, it doesn't know it's plugged into your computer and thus, it can't make use of its horsepower.
    Even if you get a VM'd Win XP up and running and install Sims, it more than likely will run far slower than it should. This is because as far as Win XP is concerned, it's running on a machine with a weak GPU.

I should of been more clear which one. Its sim2. Is there a way to just wipe the hard drive from scratch an then boot with the xp disc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I should of been more clear which one. Its sim2. Is there a way to just wipe the hard drive from scratch an then boot with the xp disc?

Yes, it's called formatting, but that would mean losing the other OS. Sims 2...not as demanding as Sims 3, but I myself wouldn't try to run it on virtualized hardware.
    I have heard of something called a hypervisor, I haven't yet used it myself, but it's supposed to be able to let the VM'd OS be able to see and talk to your GPU. Apparently there's still some overhead involved, the guy I was talking to says he gets about 70% of what his GPU is capable of inside his VM. I suggest you look up that term, hypervisor (hopefully I'm spelling it correctly), sorry but I can't help you beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Install VirtualBox in Windows 8, and install Windows XP in VirtualBox. By far the easiest way to do it, I dont trust dual booting so I would definitely recommend the virtual machine option over trying to dual boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Install VirtualBox in Windows 8, and install Windows XP in VirtualBox. By far the easiest way to do it, I dont trust dual booting so I would definitely recommend the virtual machine option over trying to dual boot.

exactly what i was going to say,,, Virtualbox or VMware workstation.... Virtualbox is free though. Then its just a case of installing XP as a virtual machine..

I was also dual booting my Mac with Win 7 a few years back,,, until i got my hands on VMware fusion and i have win 7 now installed as a virtual machine... i keep telling people there is nothing to be afraid of doing this and its not until they try it themselves, that they are amazed they never tried it before

Advertisement