Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Question (Simultaneous Equations), Help needed

• 18-04-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi, I've been trying to do this maths question for a while now and I've had no luck, I don't know how to do it. It's Simultaneous Equations which I'm usually good at. Here it is:

2r - s = 10
    rs - s(to the power of 2) = 12

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Substitute one into the other. More specifically, substitute the linear equation into curve/circle.

[latex]
    2r = 10 + S[/latex]

[latex]r = 5 + \frac{S}{2}
    [/latex]

[latex](5 + \frac{S}{2})(S) - S^2 = 12[/latex]

Solve for two values of [latex]S[/latex]
    Put them back into your linear equation and get two values for [latex]r[/latex]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Substitute one into the other. More specifically, substitute the linear equation into curve/circle.

[latex]
    2r = 10 + S[/latex]

[latex]r = 5 + \frac{S}{2}
    [/latex]

[latex](5 + \frac{S}{2})(S) - S^2 = 12[/latex]

Solve for two values of [latex]S[/latex]
    Put them back into your linear equation and get two values for [latex]r[/latex]

Very fancy - Nimrod went all Latex on your ass! Ofc, you could also have substituted [latex]{S} = 2r - 10[/latex]

You can compare your answers with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭PKdude

I got it now. Thanks very much guys, I would have been stuck on that one for ages before giving up! Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Very fancy - Nimrod went all Latex on your ass! Ofc, you could also have substituted [latex]{S} = 2r - 10[/latex]
    :pac:

True, it makes no odds which one you substitute.

If you substitute [latex]r[/latex], you'd have to square it. And if you substitute [latex]S[/latex], you'd have a fraction so you'd have to mutiply the whole line by 2.

Advertisement