Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The battle of Clontarf

Options
  • 18-04-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭

I live basically on top of where it's taking place in Saint Annes Park.

Took a look there today, the crew did a few mock skirmishes and shield walls, battle lines etc.. Looks like great fun, felt authentic. The whole show is free too btw.
    Afaik it's going ahead tomorrow and Sunday with the recreation itself (with 400+ people beating the tar out of each other) starting around 1pm and again at 4pm. I might be wrong about the times, but definitely give a look. I took some photos too, so ye can have a gander.
    It's a free event too, i know i've said it twice, but it's really really worth seeing :)

http://oi61.tinypic.com/15hzvrl.jpg
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/2dbrr42.jpg
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/2lctvf6.jpg
    http://oi62.tinypic.com/20kov93.jpg

Pictures are too big to embed, sorry :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just an FYI.
    Traffic is likely to be MENTAL around clontarf tomorrow and Sunday.
    Mount Prospect Ave will be closed from Wongs to past the park.
    The coast road traffic is likely to be busy anyway with people heading to Howth on a sunny day.
    Come early and park a bit away if possible.
    Take the 130 from Abbey St where possible.
    The Dart to Raheny is better to get than Clontarf, but its still be a good 20min walk to the park.
    Enjoy the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Just an FYI.
    Traffic is likely to be MENTAL around clontarf tomorrow and Sunday.
    Mount Prospect Ave will be closed from Wongs to past the park.
    The coast road traffic is likely to be busy anyway with people heading to Howth on a sunny day.
    Come early and park a bit away if possible.
    Take the 130 from Abbey St where possible.
    The Dart to Raheny is better to get than Clontarf, but its still be a good 20min walk to the park.
    Enjoy the fun!

dart to killester aswel isnt to far a walk to the park. i think there may be works on the dart over the weekend. apparently joe duffy was going mad at the guy from cie yesterday on liveline about it yesterday (joe of course looking at it out of self interest, him living close to the park and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Theres no darts running on northside on sunday
    Service Arrangements - Sunday 20th April

Due to major engineering works between Connolly and Malahide there will be no train service between Connolly/Howth/Malahide on Sunday 20th April.

DART - The following DART stations will be closed - Portmarnock, Clongriffin, Howth, Sutton, Bayside, Howth Jct. & Donaghmede, Kilbarrack, Raheny, Harmonstown, Killester and Clontarf Road.

Dublin Bus will accept all valid rail tickets on scheduled services between closed DART stations and city centre. Additional bus services will operate, particularly on Route 130 to facilitate those travelling to the Battle of Clontarf Festival at St Anne's Park, Raheny.
    DART services will operate to/from Greystones - Connolly stations only.

http://www.irishrail.ie/easterweekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

were can I park tomorrow?
    coming with the family so public transport isnt an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

vickers209 wrote: »
    Theres no darts running on northside on sunday

http://www.irishrail.ie/easterweekend

That is disgusting, on a fcuking bank holiday Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. It is fairly common for the Darts not to run on bank holiday weekends. Irish Rail say that it is the best time for them to do necessary maintenance work on the lines. They would have to shut down the lines during peak travel times if they didn't. Doing it on bank holidays causes less disturbance to less people, as it affects day trippers mainly & not commuters. I get the logic of it, but suffice to say that the traders and businesses of Howth, Malahide etc etc are less than impressed when it happens.

Anyhoo, people can park at Bull Island. Shuttle buses are being ran from there.

From the sounds of these two articles, it look like there will be parking laid on at the site.

http://www.herald.ie/news/no-darts-as-40000-flock-to-see-staging-of-1014-battle-30195187.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/more-than-40000-spectators-to-attend-battle-of-clontarf-millennial-reenactment-30195609.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Big thanks for the heads up. Hope to pop out to it on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yellow BricksNZ

Hello!)) Could some kind soul tell me where you could buy alcohol close to saint annes park? Not that I drink, just curious)))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Drinking in the park or indeed in public is illegal and can result in a fine and will result in confiscation of alcohol - just so you're aware the park is being heavily patrolled by the Gardai and CCTV is in operation at the event too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

got a quickie video done :)

there's so much more to see than just that too, great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hello!)) Could some kind soul tell me where you could buy alcohol close to saint annes park? Not that I drink, just curious)))

Not getting on a high horse but it was refreshing to see a lack of alcohol at an Irish event.

No scumbags or scroats, it was a really pleasant change from the 'norm here.

If anyone is going for the battle tomorrow (16:00~17:00) arrive at least one hour before hand as the place was filling really fast close to 4pm, and you WILL NOT get to see the battle if you arrive at four.

Good event, well worth the visit and I'll be returning tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Not getting on a high horse but it was refreshing to see a lack of alcohol at an Irish event.

No scumbags or scroats, it was a really pleasant change from the 'norm here.

If anyone is going for the battle tomorrow (16:00~17:00) arrive at least one hour before hand as the place was filling really fast close to 4pm, and you WILL NOT get to see the battle if you arrive at four.

Good event, well worth the visit and I'll be returning tomorrow.

Couldn't agree more. Was down there earlier and there was a great atmostphere. The sunshine certainly makes people more pleasant. :D. The re-enactment, game displays and craft stalls were great and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had a great time at the festival today. It was possibly the best Irish run festival I have ever been at. It was really well organised and there was so much to see and do.

The stalls were plentiful and very interesting. I really enjoyed the armoury tent as there was so much to see. I picked up a few Viking coins too that a man was making at this tent as they were pretty cool.

If anyone is going tomorrow, make sure you go visit Trevor from Dublin Falconry. He has loads of his birds there and two of his owls. They are fantastic creatures. I have done the falconry experience out in Courtlough and it is wonderful.

Get a place early for the reenactments. We went at half twelve today for the 1pm show and found it difficult to get a good viewing point. So get some food and settle down early for it!

Thanks for updates folks. I was wondering how it all went. :)

Was there any decent grub on offer, or was it just chipper vans and icecream?

Around lunch time today, I drove down to the area, to see if I should take the in car tomorrow. I drove in from Sutton on the coast road. Cars were parked bumper to bumper up on the curb, a good mile before Watermill Rd. The Causeway at Bull Island looked similarly full. That is where the shuttle bus runs from to the Mt Prospect Ave gate, but I wouldn't chance my arm getting parking there tomorrow.

Watermill Rd itself was totally jammed with parked cars. When I got to the top of Watermill Rd, there were loads of signs directing people to official car parks. Didn't head anywhere near them, as I imagine they were jammers the closer you got to the park. I'll deffo be taking the 31 bus in tomorrow. With the Dart's not running, I'd say parking will be even harder to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

There was a great selection of food stalls. Bay restaurant were there from Clontarf. Also there were Pieminister, a taste of Portugal stall, loads of bbq and burger stalls, two Indians, noodle stall, at least three crepe stalls and a few different bakery stands.

I'm sure there were more but my memory is a little hazy! All the food stalls are down between the music stage and the amusements.

Cheers. Thanks for that. I'll bring my appetite then so.

Btw, if anyone is mega interested in the BB historical stuff, TVG did a great 2 part documentary on him. I watched the last part tonight. I'd say it will be repeated over the next few days. 'Twas subtitled too, for those of us that are linguistically challenged in the cupla focail department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Damn, really would have loved to have gone to this but don't think it'd be doable, sounds like too long a day for the little one.

Does anyone know if anything similar will be planned again, hopefully more south side? :)

While I'm here, I found this demo very interesting regarding the purpose of shields - one of those things that changes your perspective. Not from the festival but maybe a few reading would be interested nonetheless!

Cianos wrote: »
    Damn, really would have loved to have gone to this but don't think it'd be doable, sounds like too long a day for the little one.

Does anyone know if anything similar will be planned again, hopefully more south side? :)

I doubt it. Where else would you celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf, but in Clontarf itself? Clontarf does have a smallish festival every year, with bouncy castles and the like. It's fairly small and not really worth traveling all the way from the south side for. They are only going all out with all the hoopla, as it is the 1000th anniversary of the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I doubt it. Where else would you celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf, but in Clontarf itself? Clontarf does have a smallish festival every year, with bouncy castles and the like. It's fairly small and not really worth traveling all the way from the south side for. They are only going all out with all the hoopla, as it is the 1000th anniversary of the battle.

Ah yeah I'm aware this particular event is a once off but I was just wondering if there were other similar happenings in other parts of the city. Would be nice if there was more outdoor activities based around the history of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Gotcha. I read somewhere that they brought in over 400 genuine Viking role players for the battle reenactment. A fair few of them flew in from Scandanavia. I'll keep my ears open. If I hear anything about any where else they do that kind of thing, I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yes, there were several scandanivian accents around about.

Good food selection,but of course, as per usual the queues were ginormous. bring food. Or queue.

The falcons were good.

Arrive early. It was mental. I'm tall and found it hard to see, though, having said that, it seemed to me that on the north side of the battle area it was raised so you could get a better view of the action. fwiw.

I think somehow, life for vegetarians must've been pretty grim a thousand years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Went in today as well, parking was difficult but parked on the Howth Road and walked back - delighted I did - fantastic afternoon, well worth a visit and a great lively atmosphere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sounds good so will pop along there tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Clontarf does have a smallish festival every year, with bouncy castles and the like. It's fairly small and not really worth traveling all the way from the south side for.

I presume you're referring to the annual Rose Festival.
    Over the past year or so, they've really upped the game here.
    Perhaps it was all to get a feel for the Scale of the Viking festival, but I'd highly recommend the Rose Festival if the weather is good.
    Lots of food stalls, live music, fairground rides and a lovely huge park in the summer sun is fantastic!
    It's usually on over a weekend in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Regards parking.. Drive to the gates on Windmill Road and there is LOADS of parking inside the park, don't let the cars parked outside fool you into thinking there's not.

I ride a motorbike and the clowns at the gate were telling bikers to park outside because there was no room for motorbikes on the grounds (doesn't make any sense to me either).

Oh, sun screen!.. My scalp is burnt!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Had a terrific time with the kids there yesterday. It was absolutely jammers from 2pm onwards, but not uncomfortably so. Heck of a walk out of the park to the DART, there seemed to be plenty of parking inside the park itself though with fields laid out ready for cars?

The biggest Viking re-enactment I've seen to date. Spoke with one Danish guy who knew nothing of the history he was doing, he was just there to "play viking" :pac: English, Irish, Danes, Germans, but no Norwegians ironically :p A super day out, just a shame I didn't arrive earlier.

Had a really great time today. Ate some really great food, coz what says Battle of Clontarf more than a zebra curry burger and samosas from Kenya? It is a well known historical fact that BB stuffed his gob with same on the morning of the battle. Shure bates the aul shpuds anyway :D

Unfortunately it got really cold around 3ish, so we scarpered, but we had great time for the couple of hours we were there. The falconry exhibit was fab. The man doing it was really, really great. Deffo worth a trip up to Dublin Falconry up in Balbriggan to see 'em again.

Didn't get to see much of the reenactment, but I've seen lots of that kinda stuff before, so I didn't mind. Lots of other people did want to see it, but unless you were right at the front, you didn't see much. It is a pity they didn't try and put in some sort of temporary tiered steps, so that people could see better, especially the kids. A lot of people just drifted away as they couldn't see.

It's a shame that so many people didn't get to see all the hard work that so many people put in to bring it all together. I know that peeps here advised getting there mega early to nab a spot. But that isn't really an option if you have kids in tow. Other than that, it seemed to be a very well organized and event & well run event, so kudos all around.

If any of ye need yet another festival fix, the Dublin Bay Prawn Festival is taking place out in Howth next weekend. It used to be the Howth Prawn Festival, but I guess it is being rebranded. It is on Fri/Sat/Sun with a fireworks display on the Sat. I've never been to it, so am interested in checking it out. Luuuuuuurves me some prawns, so I do ! :)

http://dublinbayprawnfestival.ie/
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    I presume you're referring to the annual Rose Festival.
    Over the past year or so, they've really upped the game here.
    Perhaps it was all to get a feel for the Scale of the Viking festival, but I'd highly recommend the Rose Festival if the weather is good.
    Lots of food stalls, live music, fairground rides and a lovely huge park in the summer sun is fantastic!
    It's usually on over a weekend in July.

Nope, I know about the Rose festival. I was referring to a mini festival I have seen taking place at the seafront in Clontarf, over the past couple of years. I don't remember when it was on, early summer I think. It was no where near on the scale of todays event. Just a few bouncy castles, face painting...that sort of thing. It's a pity that St Annes is not used for more events like this, or the Rose Festival. It really is a perfect setting for them, being as big as it is, and being as close to all the public transport links that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yesterday I noticed that during the falconry display a crow chased the falcon away.

• Advertisement

Been dying to go to the prawn festival, shall be there next weekend! Thanks for the reminder. Think my highlight of the event yesterday was North Strand Contra Band followed by Prairie Dogs, we spent most of the day at the stage. Though seeing and patting the fjord horse was a treat, I remarked I'd never seen one in real life before, despite how much I've worked with horses, to be informed there's only six in the country! So delighted with that.

Advertisement