Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught on the road with a quad

• 18-04-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi I have some sheep scattered about the place and use quads for moving sheep and spraying other fields and I have to drive on the road (not main road) for a bit to get around. If the traffic corps stopped me can they seize the quad or is it a fine or what's the story? Thanks

First post so go easy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Naah, be grand, as long as it is insured, taxed and has road legal lights and you've a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

But you can't register quads in this country anymore there's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What's the difference between a road and a main road? Not being smart, are the roads you're on located on your land?

They're not on my land that's why I'm asking what happens if your caught by the guards. I have to travel on them to get to different fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

AFAIK you are allowed to drive a quad on the road to go from field to field. On the phone now so I can't link legislation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What's the difference between a road and a main road? Not being smart, are the roads you're on located on your land?

I think he means a minor road rather than a main thoroughfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I think he means a minor road rather than a main thoroughfare.

all the lads I know with no tax/insurance stick to the back roads, so it may well be the general rule..:D

If I could tax them I would! And it's only insured as a farm asset. I think I heard of insurance available for driving so many kms from your home to fields must look into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its the same as any other agricultural vehicle and you should be able to insure as such. Provided its only used for herding and travelling from field to field I doubt you would have an issue once its road worthy , correct lights etc
    Why not call into your local station and ask a Garda.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Its the same as any other agricultural vehicle and you should be able to insure as such. Provided its only used for herding and travelling from field to field I doubt you would have an issue once its road worthy , correct lights etc
    Why not call into your local station and ask a Garda.

Because the Sgt is a bit of a robocop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

FBD insurance cover them for third party, fire and theft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Saw two driving around Dublin 4 last week for spraying weeds for the council. Were on northern regs tho.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

according to garda site you need road tax

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1720&Lang=1

It's a 2013 quad and you can't register them unless they're 2008 or older or something like that so I can't tax it, not that I'm complaining about that. Was just wondering if they want to can they seize it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

They're not illegal. Once adapted for the road and IVA tested then you can register them.

28387239.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Scaglietti wrote: »
    It's a 2013 quad and you can't register them unless they're 2008 or older or something like that so I can't tax it, not that I'm complaining about that. Was just wondering if they want to can they seize it?

Slightly wrong there . the last time you could register on was back at the end of 2008.
    In theory they could seize it . You would be driving an untaxed, unregistered vehicle on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the "no insurance" bit is the bit that would worry me.

You often see vehicles such as fork lifts and other plant on the road that are obviously not road legal. I assume these would be in the same boat as OPs Quad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

corktina wrote: »
    the "no insurance" bit is the bit that would worry me.

You often see vehicles such as fork lifts and other plant on the road that are obviously not road legal. I assume these would be in the same boat as OPs Quad.

It can be insured off the serial number.
    To be fair if you have a good quad its worth insuring for theft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Co. Louth reckon
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Motor-Tax/Taxing_Your_Vehicle/Vehicle_Classifications/Quad_Bikes/
    Quad Bikes
    Taxation of Quad Bikes

If it has a tow bar attached – it is classed a general haulage tractor
    No tow bar – it is taxed as a private vehicle & taxed based on cc of engine.
    Appropriate Fee
    Tax Renewal form RF100A must be fully completed & signed ensuring insurance details are entered.

An all terrain/quad vehicle cannot be taxed at the motorcycle rate. You also need to hold a full B (Car) Licence to drive a quad on a public road

Garda reckon
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1720&Lang=1
    Can ‘Quad’ bikes be used on the road? A quadricycle is a mechanically propelled vehicle, which means it is a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical or electrical power. As such, irrespective of engine capacity, under Road Traffic legislation the user of a ‘quad’ in a public place must have insurance, road tax, a driving licence and wear a helmet.

IFA Reckon
    http://www.ifa.ie/quad-bikes-untaxable-doyle/#.VIINk8kxN7J
    QUAD BIKES UNTAXABLE – DOYLE
    Farm Business & Credit

Following recent meetings with the Department of the Environment and Revenue, IFA Farm Business Chairman Tom Doyle has said there are serious deficiencies in the current motor tax treatment of agricultural quad bikes which makes them untaxable on Irish roads.

He said, “Recent statements by the Department of the Environment classifying farm quads as general haulage tractors, which imposes a ridiculous rate of tax, is not acceptable and not enforceable, as quads can’t be registered on the NCT system”.

<snipped>
    Mr Doyle said, “In the UK, farmers using a quad bike for agricultural use can register them as light agricultural vehicles. This allows farmers to get a ‘nil value’ tax disc and use the quad bike on the road if travelling less than 1.5km between sites. An agricultural quad bike used on the road doesn’t need an NCT, but must be registered, licensed for road use, have a number plate, and a minimum of third party insurance”.

Tom Doyle concluded, “What we now need is a workable solution similar to that in operation in the UK. The IFA has met with the Department of the Environment and Revenue on these issues and is calling on the myriad of organizations involved in the registering, taxing and distribution of such vehicles to come together and sort out this unsustainable situation”.

VRT Office reckon
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section13
    What is a certificate of conformity and when is it required?

All new vehicles of EU vehicle categories M (passenger vehicles), N (commercial vehicles), L (2/3 wheel motorcycles and quads) and T (tractors), excluding special purpose vehicles and completed N2 and N3 vehicles, now require European Community Whole Vehicle Type-Approval ECWVTA, or national type-approval in order to be registered in Ireland. Further details of the EU Vehicle Categories may be found in the VRT FAQs.
    but I'm unsure of the VRT rate for it

I suspect, that you can register and tax a quad as a road vehicle, regardless of age, but it has financial repurcussians.
    As the OP question, I would say, Yes they can sieze it and also charge you for insurance and license offences if applicable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

9935452 wrote: »
    It can be insured off the serial number.
    To be fair if you have a good quad its worth insuring for theft

no doubt you can, but how many do? I wasn't worried about the theft aspect tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

hi5 wrote: »
    They're not illegal. Once adapted for the road and IVA tested then you can register them.

28387239.jpeg

how do you go about the IVA test down south then?

our local sgt said to me after catching me that they use their discretion when coming across lads nipping up the road on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In fairness, it was 8 months ago when the OP asked the question. He was 17 then (could still be) and hasn't been on here since.
    If he hasn't got sorted by now he certainly has kept quiet about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    In fairness, it was 8 months ago when the OP asked the question. He was 17 then (could still be) and hasn't been on here since.
    If he hasn't got sorted by now he certainly has kept quiet about it.

He's probably in jail :)

Advertisement