Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One Phone Back up files

Options
  • 18-04-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have dropbox installed on my PC and my phone syncs backups every day.
    I wanted to know what it was backing up so i took a look at one of the files and it was all in some kinda Japanese/Chinese language.

I copied and pasted it into Google translate and got the below, really weird.. some really weird words in there..any thoughts as to what it is exactly backing up ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Android, might get some help here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just tried backing up to dropbox there for the first time and I get the exact same.
    I'm guessing the chinese writing is just whatever encoding HTC use being interpreted by Windows.
    On my linux box, gEdit cant pick up the encoding type, and emacs just displays a load of escaped characters like \324 etc.

Also, I just showed a Chinese friend of mine the text and he said its meaningless gibberish with some Chinese characters.

In terms of what its backing up, I'd imagine its settings and stuff that are encoded in HTCs proprietary format, so they can't be read by anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I just tried backing up to dropbox there for the first time and I get the exact same.
    I'm guessing the chinese writing is just whatever encoding HTC use being interpreted by Windows.
    On my linux box, gEdit cant pick up the encoding type, and emacs just displays a load of escaped characters like \324 etc.

Also, I just showed a Chinese friend of mine the text and he said its meaningless gibberish with some Chinese characters.

In terms of what its backing up, I'd imagine its settings and stuff that are encoded in HTCs proprietary format, so they can't be read by anyone else.

cheers lad :)

Advertisement