Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my 90's degree hons or not?

Options
  • 18-04-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the early 1990's I did a four year degree course. I was young and a messer and didn't study very hard and flunked one of the final exams and had to resit it the following year.
    My degree cert just says bachelor ..
    I honestly to this day have no idea if its an Hons degree or not.
    Looking at the college website the same degree is still being done with the three year stream listed as ordinary and the four year as "hons" though I cant remember when I did it if there was such a split at all.

I'm not sure where my result fits in?
    I'm a lot wiser these days and would like to do an Msc in the field I currently work in. The course I want to do says I need a minimum of a hons level 8 degree on their website, hence my dilemma.

I've written to my old college to ask and hopefully will get an answer next week, but the curiosity is killing me now! Anyone care to speculate as to whether its a fetac level 7 pass or 8 hons degree?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

It should say it on your degree certificate.

What university was it? Do you know your final grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I assume its a pass grade as I had to repeat one subject, the certificate just says Bachelor of Business Studies thats it , no grade.
    I saw this post on askaboutmoney from over a year ago that suggests it should be third class honors degree but thats not in a dedicated education forum like here so not sure the validity of it. Might have to request a replacement cert I suppose stating it more clearly if push comes to shove.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ask them for the transcript, that'll give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

In the 90's there wasn't that split.

I received my degree in 05. It was around that time, a diploma became an ordinary degree and the regular 4 year cert became an hons degree.

Unless business is completely different to my own field, you have a level 8.

Advertisement