Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nickelback

• 18-04-2014 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

I'm genuinely wondering... What is it that nickelback does or has done that makes everyone hate them so much? Okay not EVERYone but a lot of people I love them, personally, and maybe it's the fact I like them that makes it hard for me to understand why, so can anyone give me some insight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think they've ever really done anything terribly bad exactly, they're just so utterly bland and not very interesting, like listening to wallpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't think they've ever really done anything terribly bad exactly, they're just so utterly bland and not very interesting, like listening to wallpaper.

See I don't get that xD I think they're good.. Obviously not the best thing ever lioke omg1111!!!!111 but they're decent enough compared to most bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

See I don't get that xD I think they're good.. Obviously not the best thing ever lioke omg1111!!!!111 but they're decent enough compared to most bands

....Chad?

D.Q wrote: »
    ....Chad?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

This bloke doesn't like them much.
    One of my favourite bands Evanescence gets the same sort of abuse.

• Advertisement

orangesoda wrote: »
    This bloke doesn't like them much.
    One of my favourite bands Evanescence gets the same sort of abuse.

HOW CAN YOU ABUSE EVANESCENCE.... IS THAT NOT ILLEGAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Evanescence are quite unique, they deserve more respect in the rock/metal scene, they have fans from all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's just a bandwagon that a lot of people have jumped on.

Suas11 wrote: »
    It's just a bandwagon that a lot of people have jumped on.

Now THAT makes sense!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's cool to slam them, shows that you know which bands you should hate on :P

Never understood it myself, i'm no fan of theirs and there's far more offensive music and far more hate-able musicians out there but nickleback seem to be the circlejerk of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't hate them, but they are a bit of a joke in rock. And when you pull stuff like this, then, it's with good reason.

Also that Rockstar song is tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

I like the heavier stuff they play on the albums and the ballads.
    I have all the albums except the greatest hit.

They do put on a great live concert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i admit i like some of their stuff too, their lyrics can be incredibly childish and stupid but they have some great tunes outside of the radio stuff everyone has heard.
    i think resentment on the level they get is incredible really, but they tour successfully and make money doing it so fair play to them\

if i was going off on a hate rant they wouldn't be the first target!

focusing that much energy on hate is not good for ya anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think one of the main reasons for their apparent "hatred" from fans is because they were signed to Roadrunner Records, a label which - at that point - that a prodominently heavier and more Metal orientated catalogue.

I believe that Nickelback were a gamble by the label but only because they needed an artist who could sell really big numbers - they weren't to foresee their success with Slipknot at the time Nickelback were signed and it was hoped (seeing as Nickelback was originally taught of, according to some RR reps, as a Nirvana clone of sorts) that the band would attract mainstream record sales with a high revenue for the struggling outfit.

The gamble worked and 'Silver Side Up' broke all records, but in doing so, a lot of "eltisit" music fans attacked Nickelback and their sound because they were essentially signed to the wrong label. If they'd been signed to the same label as Bon Jovi or something I don't think you'd have seen such a movement of hate.

I think one of the main reasons for their apparent "hatred" from fans is because they were signed to Roadrunner Records, a label which - at that point - that a prodominently heavier and more Metal orientated catalogue.

I believe that Nickelback were a gamble by the label but only because they needed an artist who could sell really big numbers - they weren't to foresee their success with Slipknot at the time Nickelback were signed and it was hoped (seeing as Nickelback was originally taught of, according to some RR reps, as a Nirvana clone of sorts) that the band would attract mainstream record sales with a high revenue for the struggling outfit.

The gamble worked and 'Silver Side Up' broke all records, but in doing so, a lot of "eltisit" music fans attacked Nickelback and their sound because they were essentially signed to the wrong label. If they'd been signed to the same label as Bon Jovi or something I don't think you'd have seen such a movement of hate.

It's kind of childish, any artist would accept a singing if it's going to make them money... Not doing it would be a bad career move, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Nope. I dont care what label they're signed to. Bland, formulaic MOR rock is what they are. They're what the chilli peppers eventually became.....uninteresting.

Rock music for people who dont like rock music. I'd say if you scanned the CD collection of a typical nickleback fan (and the posters on this forum wouldn't be a typical fan) you'd find them, probably californication, and not much else in the rock genre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you're way over analyzing it. No one pays attention to what label a band is signed to.

Nickelband are just an ordinary band that had extra-ordinary success with that 'how you remind me' song and as a result it became cool to hate them.

I think you're way over analyzing it. No one pays attention to what label a band is signed to.

Nickelband are just an ordinary band that had extra-ordinary success with that 'how you remind me' song and as a result it became cool to hate them.

You'd be surprised, actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think Motley makes a valid point regarding roadrunner

interesting you mentioned the chillis there 120, very true, from edgy to bland indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

orangesoda wrote: »
    Evanescence are quite unique, they deserve more respect in the rock/metal scene, they have fans from all walks of life.

The creative force in Evanescence was Ben Moody. With him they were a mediocre goth metal band without him they're just a decent voice and a few session musicians.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Despite being a listener of the heaviest of heavy stuff, I have no issue with Nickelback. They are what they are, generic rock and in fairness to them, they do it well - some very catchy tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

i think Motley makes a valid point regarding roadrunner

interesting you mentioned the chillis there 120, very true, from edgy to bland indeed.

Record labels have to pay the bills. Signing Nickelback was a very good move from that point of view.

Both Meatloaf and Lenny Kravitz were briefly signed to Roadrunner - sort of, it was actually a strategic marketing move by Roadrunner's parent company, Atlantic Records and ultimate parent company WMG.

As for Nickelback themselves, they are really no worse than many "lite" rock bands. There's a few tunes from their first couple of albums that I actually like and I saw them back in The Point years ago. Got free tickets, the show was a blast, last of the European tour I think.

Since then everything they've put out has been terribly bland, but whatever, there's a market for it.

Advertisement