Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green man carving in red deal.

Options
  • 18-04-2014 11:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just in the finishing stages with this carving,..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

kadman wrote: »
    Just in the finishing stages with this carving,..

That's a lovely carving kadman. Have you many hours into that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

That's a lovely carving kadman. Have you many hours into that?

As in all things, a shortage of some particular carving tools, and a motorised sanding tool, dremel ect, has probably doubled the time of this piece.

Although I did not keep a record of the time spent, I,d say probably 35 ish hours.

No doubt 10-15 hours could be knocked off that if I invest in a few more chisels, and a dremel.

And if I had have used lime, it would have been easier to carve, as red deal is delicate to keep the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great work, how do you plan to finish it?

Great work, how do you plan to finish it?

Finish off the edge detail, and a bit more fine sanding, and 5 or 6 coats of danish oil should do the job. I,ve been a long time off the tools, and its nice to get back:)

Finish off the edge detail, and a bit more fine sanding, and 5 or 6 coats of danish oil should do the job. I,ve been a long time off the tools, and its nice to get back:)

That's a serious amount of time alright kadman!! Hioe your getting a good weeks wages for it and I'm delighted to hear your back on the tools!!

• Advertisement

That's a serious amount of time alright kadman!! Hioe your getting a good weeks wages for it and I'm delighted to hear your back on the tools!!

Its a personal piece, so at the moment there is no money coming on it:)

From a time issue on a carving its not long, in the past I have spent weeks on a carving. So this is relatively quick.

Great to be back on the hand tools, they have been on the sideline for a few years, as the roles I was involved in were design and management.

Considering maybe offering courses in different woodwork disciplines, carving, turning and maybe traditional crafts as well.

But at the moment its just a thought.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Considering maybe offering courses in different woodwork disciplines, carving, turning and maybe traditional crafts as well.

But at the moment its just a thought.:)

That is great looking work.

Regarding courses, I think this is a great idea, not sure where you are based, but the only place I could find for courses and space for project work was hill picket studios in wicklow and while the facilities were great, it was too far to travel on a regular basis.

I will be keeping an eye out if you do offer something.

Kadman I thinks that's an awsome idea to offer courses. There's big demand for them and I reckon your name would get out there very fast indeed!! Sign me up to them!! I'd love to learn your vast knowledge :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I'd definitely be interested in courses if they were available. I'd love to get started in more hand tool work, planing, hand cut dovetails and such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

did these courses ever go ahead? i'd love to take one too. No idea where to find good courses for this type of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Was just thinking the same thing myself yesterday.

Advertisement