Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 feet is not 1.8 metres.

Options
  • 18-04-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Just to help anyone to avoid making the same mistake. I bought 10 fence panels in Woodies branded Wicklow Wood, marked 6ft x 6ft 1.8m x 1.8m. Had them delivered to discover they fell out of my fixed concrete posts. When I checked with a tape, the panels were indeed 1.8m, but this is 30mm short of 6ft. I had to buy 2" x 1" timber to make up the shortfall, and nail it to one side, a real pain. Check your requirements carefully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Six feet is 1.82 Metres. How many decimal places do you want them to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Being accurate is a big thing but its a small thing that makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dubguy45

I needed them to be six feet, as stated on the panel. Their not 6 feet. That's the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The measurements were given in two distinct units and you ignored the units with the higher precision. It's a PITA but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

To be fair to OP, he is not so much complaining about the stated measurements as giving us a heads-up about taking indicative figures as exact figures.

• Advertisement

Having just looked at the fence panels in Homebase, Their equivalent panel is marked 6ft x 6ft 1.83m x 1.83m. There is an obvious mistake made by Wicklow Wood that should be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stay wide of their steel shelves, the guy on the box is actually holding them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Thanks for the advice, I have recently taken to carrying a small tape measure on a key ring to double check the stated sizes of items like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Had similar issues myself where the quoted imperial measurements were approximate.

Lengths had to be checked as they were sometimes short so I had to buy longer and cut to size.

A label found on some supplies reads that all measurements are approximate and depict the un-milled size, planed wood would be smaller than indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

TBH, I think they need to go to as many decimal places as is necessary to give an accurate measurement.
    If they were marked as a snidge shorter than 5' 11" X 5' 11", it's unlikely you would buy them to fit your 6' space.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Just to help anyone to avoid making the same mistake. I bought 10 fence panels in Woodies branded Wicklow Wood, marked 6ft x 6ft 1.8m x 1.8m. Had them delivered to discover they fell out of my fixed concrete posts. When I checked with a tape, the panels were indeed 1.8m, but this is 30mm short of 6ft. I had to buy 2" x 1" timber to make up the shortfall, and nail it to one side, a real pain. Check your requirements carefully.
    Why didn't you just return them?

Fair point, but good value at €25 as the quality is above others more expensive. Anyway, just offering advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Having just looked at the fence panels in Homebase, Their equivalent panel is marked 6ft x 6ft 1.83m x 1.83m. There is an obvious mistake made by Wicklow Wood that should be corrected.

Homebase is a UK company with most products imported from the UK and therefore using the imperial feet and inches.

Woodies is an Irish company and using an Irish manufacturer who (quite correctly) uses metric.

Handy to know if you need precise measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

skelligs wrote: »

Woodies is an Irish company and using an Irish manufacturer who (quite correctly) uses metric.

but they cannot convert from metric to imperial accurately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It's actually 1.83

seagull wrote: »
    It's actually 1.83

1.828: how accurate do you want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Generally, to the nearest millimetre (will depend on the size/type of project of course), but when dealing with measurements you need accuracy, none of that ah sher it's about that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

That's the point - you don't just truncate the .828 to .82, you round it to .83.

seagull wrote: »
    That's the point - you don't just truncate the .828 to .82, you round it to .83.

And that was my original point. It was shown as 1.8! This is also valid rounding.
    But look it's no big deal. Measure twice cut once and measure the panels before you erect the posts.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement