Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton vs Manchester United Match Thread. k/o 16.00 20/4/'14.Sky

• 19-04-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

evertonvmanchesterunite.png

EvertonVsUTd-3427111.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It doesn't suit a certain narrative for Everton to have played more long balls then United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can't see us winning here, Martinez will pack the midfield and press us hard

I think Everton will score 2 or more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Them statistics are really sobering for the "martinez is a super passmaster" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Everton haven't done the double over United in the league since the 85-86 season. This is Moyes opportunity to make it happen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Everton played a game on Wednesday, could have an effect on stamina later in the game.

United to win 2:1 (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Everton inability of squad rotation will hurt them. Had they no midweek game I'd have given them a bigger chance. Now, United are favorites.

Moyes, ironically, to deny hopes of CL football to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Turtwig wrote: »
    Everton inability of squad rotation will hurt them. Had they no midweek game I'd have given them a bigger chance. Now, United are favorites.

Moyes, ironically, to deny hopes of CL football to Everton.

2/1 in some places afaik, not bad for favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Would love to see Moyes actually have some balls and give James Wilson some minutes on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think Everton's loss to Palace during the week has all but ensured Arsenal retain their 4th place trophy, but would be nice to see them pick up the win here to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

kryogen wrote: »
    It doesn't suit a certain narrative for Everton to have played more long balls then United

Everyone knows stats tell the whole story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

1 win against the top 8 this season for United. Sure that will change now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Should be an easy win for Everton against a mid table side but then again Palace turned them over during the week. I'll go 2-1 Everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'd love to see Everton absolutely smash Man Utd but I doubt it'll happen. 2-2.

beno619 wrote: »
    Everyone knows stats tell the whole story.

Do they?

I'd have to disagree there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Can see it being a tight game with Everton sneaking the win by the odd goal in three.

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Should be an easy win for Everton against a mid table side but then again Palace turned them over during the week. I'll go 2-1 Everton

Is it not two mid table teams playing each other? Upper mid table I suppose if you like, considering there is a place between them right now and a defeat for Everton would mean the two teams are right next to each other in the table I find it hard to comprehend how it should be an easy win against a mid table team as if Everton are something different- of course, in the unlikely event you are being a smart arse that would make sense I suppose. Not a particularly clever jibe, but sure what would you expect?

Anyways, Everton is always a tough place to go but Uniteds away form has been great, it depends on Rooney really, if he isn't fit but plays it will hamper the team again and I can't see us getting much joy, other then that I quite fancy United to get a win from the game, Everton have been showing signs of tiredness lately, the lack of rotation is finally starting to tell I feel. The pressure is firmly on for the last four games now as they genuinely have a chance of making top four.

I am optimistic about the game, but the attitude has to be right, the players have to be up for the fight and perform because as I already said, Everton is always a tough place to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Fancy United to get something out of this.

Everton seem to have cracked under the pressure. There top 4 challenge may just dwindle now.

Do they?

I'd have to disagree there

Your post might have people thinking you believe otherwise. ;)

I concur, I don't know what he believes now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

C'mon Everton!

I was looking forward to this game at the start of the game as I thought it might be the prefect opportunity to have a real say in whether Moyes would achieve anything at Man Utd this season. Seems it's more the other way around (although I don't think Everton will get 4th regardless of tomorrows result....especially if Arsenal have won at Hull beforehand)

But there's an obvious extra edge to this game apart from the 3 points on the league table.

Come on you Blues!

• Advertisement

Going on an upheaval of form in the last couple of games and the fact our away form is strong think we can nick it. We defiantly won't be as soft centered as Arsenal were.

Just need to ensure to break up the play in midfield.
    Hopefully Fellini manages to nullify Kevin Mirallas while keeping his elbows to himself (it should be a good battle).

Need to be weary of Seamus Coleman (Unsung Danger-man) attacking the flanks, Evra could easily be exposed again.

Getting Mata / Kagawa on the ball in advanced positions we should cause problems, hopefully Rooney is actually fit this time and not still carrying that toe injury.

Why?

Everton play more long balls per game then United, that doesnt fit in with a certain narrative of the two clubs at the moment, or more to the point, the clubs respective managers.

It certainly doesnt imply that stats are the be all and end all.

Why?

Everton play more long balls per game then United, that doesnt fit in with a certain narrative of the two clubs at the moment, or more to the point, the clubs respective managers.

It certainly doesnt imply that stats are the be all and end all.

Well I dont think anyone has argued over who plays the fewer long balls.
    An argument has been made however that Everton play better football under Martinez. Something which cant be accessed by long ball statistics.

Well, Moyes football is referred to as hoof ball generally, which would imply lots of long balls.

Martinez is referred to as a sexy passing game which would imply not so many long balls.

Everton playing more long balls then United per game would seem to suggest that is not entirely accurate.

Everton slipped up the other night and I think they'll slip up again in this one

Utd have no pressure on them and will get at least a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Everton slipped up the other night and I think they'll slip up again in this one

Utd have no pressure on them and will get at least a draw

They were playing an on-form Palace. Chelsea lost to Palace, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They were playing an on-form Palace. Chelsea lost to Palace, too.

And now they're playing an on-form Manchester United.

And now they're playing an on-form Manchester United.

Everton's league form is better: http://www.premierleague.com/content/premierleague/en-gb/matchday/matches/2013-2014/epl.html/everton-vs-man-utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes, and it's better than Crystal Palaces form too. Not really getting your point there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well, Moyes football is referred to as hoof ball generally, which would imply lots of long balls.

Martinez is referred to as a sexy passing game which would imply not so many long balls.

Everton playing more long balls then United per game would seem to suggest that is not entirely accurate.

Really depends on what is defined as a long ball doesn't it? Perhaps Moyes' teams favour hit & hope punts whereas Everton use of the long ball is more specific?

As someone who watches a lot of football surely you can agree that Martinez's Everton side play a far more attractive brand of football than Moyes' Utd side?

Stats or no stats, anyone with eyes can see that.

Yes, and it's better than Crystal Palaces form too. Not really getting your point there.

That Palace and Everton have a better form than Man Utd.

What type of long balls are they playing? How successful are they? Are they mixed up with short passes as well?

Picking one stat, in this case, long passes per game, and using it to try and change a narrative is foolish; there will always be a bigger story than one based on a single stat out of context.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Really depends on what is defined as a long ball doesn't it? Perhaps Moyes' teams favour hit & hope punts whereas Everton use of the long ball is more specific?

As someone who watches a lot of football surely you can agree that Martinez's Everton side play a far more attractive brand of football than Moyes' Utd side?

Stats or no stats, anyone with eyes can see that.

It certainly comes down to how a long ball is defined, and that is the problem with stats with no context.

United have been muck this year, Everton have continued their progression from last year and improved again.

What type of long balls are they playing? How successful are they? Are they mixed up with short passes as well?

Picking one stat, in this case, long passes per game, and using it to try and change a narrative is foolish; there will always be a bigger story than one based on a single stat out of context.

Not sure of the relevance to short passing, as it only mentions long passes in the post, but yep. We dont really have an argument here

Wasn't trying to change any narrative. A simple observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

United have been muck this year, Everton have continued their progression from last year and improved again.

So what are posts like the below ones about then? :confused:

You agree Utd have played dirt this year, you agree Everton have moved onto another level this season, yet the following posts seem to indicate otherwise. Very confusing altogether.

It seems to me you are trying to change or at least call into question the narrative that Everton play decent football under Martinez & Utd have played ****e football under Moyes, yet surely no one in their right mind would argue that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just looking at the past 10 results between the two if really comes apparent how Moyes made Everton so hard to beat ... A good solid performance and a 3-1 United win for me.

Blm2Dm7IEAARL8g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You agree Utd have played dirt this year, you agree Everton have moved onto another level this season, yet the following posts seem to indicate otherwise. Very confusing altogether.

It seems to me you are trying to change or at least call into question the narrative that Everton play decent football under Martinez & Utd have played ****e football under Moyes, yet surely no one in their right mind would argue that? :confused:

Those quoted posts don't imply Everton haven't improved. They just stated that people slate Moyes for playing long balls all the time (which doesn't happen) and laud Martinez for playing short passing game (Even though according to the above stat, he doesn't do quite as often as suggested) It disrupts a false narrative RE: "Constant Hoofball" and Moyes.

No one is implying Everton play ****e football nor is anyone implying United are playing Tiki-taka

Its very simple. Do keep up.

EDIT: Forgot the condescending smilies :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wonder will we see Lukaku drifting out wide right on to Evra like he did against Monreal & Arsenal a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Wonder will we see Lukaku drifting out wide right on to Evra like he did against Monreal & Arsenal a few weeks back.

He could walk clean through Evra and not be challenged. Evra has been and will continue to be pants.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Im hoping for Buttner to start but I doubt itll happen. Evras a liability.

• Advertisement

jane82 wrote: »
    Im hoping for Buttner to start but I doubt itll happen. Evras a liability.

Only way Buttner starts is if Evra is injured or suspended :/

Only way Buttner starts is if Evra is injured or suspended :/

That sounded very like you want me to injure somebody for cash.
    Im not sure I can get to Liverpool in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

utds away form should see them through,or at least not loose

Moyes boo'd getting off the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

this game will show how much the players are still behind Moyes considering its a more important game for Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Liamalone wrote: »
    Moyes boo'd getting off the bus.
    Not nice to see at all - they seem to have very very short memories.

Any teams confirmed yet?

Simples really

There is a narrative that Martinez football is tika taka Pep-esque football, going by the amount of long balls they play it is not exactly the case.

Thats it, end of my point.

Anything else was responses. You know that, not sure why you are drawing it out to be honest. I know you are not that easily confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I thought Kryos point was a really obvious one but seems people are in a pissy mood.

Anyway, there is a game happening within the hour.,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Büttner, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Kagawa, Mata, Rooney.

• Advertisement
Advertisement