Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean McNeela Hunger Striker

Options
  • 19-04-2014 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭

I was at the back of Arbour Hill Prison last week looking for a monument to the 1940s hunger strikers: Sean McNeela and Tony D'Arcy. I couldn't find one which is unusual. Does anyone know whether there is one commemorating them?

Funny enough, today is the anniversary of the death of Sean McNeela.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Not every hunger striker warrants their own monument- What made you expect to find a monument?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

Because they are patriots?

que pasa wrote: »

There are many patriots. You thought there would be a monument , was there any more particular reason for this?

There are many patriots. You thought there would be a monument , was there any more particular reason for this?

No, why do you ask?

As far as I'm aware, there is one in Galway so there is no reason why their shouldn't be one in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Or traitors? Is it usual to build monuments to those who would refuse to recognise the legitimacy of the state?:confused:

As far as I'm aware, there is one in Galway so there is no reason why their shouldn't be one in Dublin.

You say there should be a monument in Dublin to McNeela. Yet when I asked you for a reason other than patriotism as to why there would be, you were unable to come up with any more than this:
    No, why do you ask?

Now it seems to me that rather than wondering why there is not a monument to every person that has ever lived it would be a more reasonable and sensible approach to make a justifiable argument as to why one should be memorialised in this way. Rather than take offence to this I am asking you to justify why in your view this man should be remembered. Please explain this rather than the half arsed reply quoted above. If you think there should be a monument to this man surely you can explain why...ޝ

You say there should be a monument in Dublin to McNeela. Yet when I asked you for a reason other than patriotism as to why there would be, you were unable to come up with any more than this:

Now it seems to me that rather than wondering why there is not a monument to every person that has ever lived it would be a more reasonable and sensible approach to make a justifiable argument as to why one should be memorialised in this way. Rather than take offence to this I am asking you to justify why in your view this man should be remembered. Please explain this rather than the half arsed reply quoted above. If you think there should be a monument to this man surely you can explain why...ޝ

I don't like the tone of your questioning pal. I came on here looking for info as to whether there was one in existence not to be interrogated by someone.

Have you something against Republicans have you? Perhaps if you're ideologically biased, you shouldn't be moderating a forum that might offend your political sensitivities.

I don't like the tone of your questioning pal. I came on here looking for info as to whether there was one in existence not to be interrogated by someone.

Have you something against Republicans have you? Perhaps if you're ideologically biased, you shouldn't be moderating a forum that might offend your political sensitivities.

you still have not justified why you feel there should not be a monument. Just more bluff.

That says it all.

Just more bluff.

That says it all.

Explain yourself?

Anti Republican biggot.

• Advertisement

Explain yourself?

Anti Republican biggot.

I cannot infract you for not being able to make a justifiable argument.

I can however do so for name calling.

You are now infracted.
    >>>The reason is name calling.

You should note that name calling is not allowed on the history and heritage forum...

You should also note that there is only one g in the word bigot. When name calling in future, you should keep this in mind. I have helpfully linked a definition of this which has the correct spelling.

Thread is also closed as even the OP does not seem to see a point in making their own argument.

Moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement