Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities you'd never return to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Was anyone in Tallinn? Would you go back?

Was thinking of going for a few days and taking the train to that other Sh!thole (according to reports here)....St. Petersburg...

It isn't a ****hole! Seriously. Great city. I liked Talinn too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was anyone in Tallinn? Would you go back?

Was thinking of going for a few days and taking the train to that other Sh!thole (according to reports here)....St. Petersburg...

The old town is nice, worth a trip.

Hamburg, very strange place. Wouldn't go back if I was paid!

What did you not like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

I have to agree. I wasnt a fan of Hamburg. Everything is expensive, clean and new. It comes across as very wealthy, a place where people work but do not live (except for the red light district which was sleezy). Saying that i was there a bank holiday weekend a few years ago so maybe its not typical of the place.

I liked Washington, there are loads of museums there and there seemed to be alot of Irish people working there. Its a beautiful city. However i wouldnt go back to Boston. Alot of irish there too but not much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Bradford. Horrible weather most of the time. Loads of ugly buildings either remnants of industry or horrible offices from 70's and 80's. Lots of racial tension. Having to listen to taxi drivers espouse the views of the BNP telling you the various reasons why that lot should get out of their country... ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St Petersburg, Russia. Been all over the world but this place is unreal, completly unsafe feeling and most of it comes from the authorities. Dodgy dodgy place

I wonder what parts you were in. A stunning city. Chancers galore and still an element of the old 'one price for locals, another for you' but a fantastic place to visit. Was there in the Leningrad days and more recently too and it is just as fascinating second or third time round.

Not sure if it's big enough to be a city, but Moe in Victoria in Australia is a very unsettling place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Judging cities based on cleanliness, tidiness and poverty is shallow in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That's funny you say that because I was bought a shot by some guy in a bar. Turns out they were criminals (according to a friend who was local), smartly dressed, rough looking dudes. Anyway, I said "why?" and he just said that he wants us to gave a good memory of Prague and Czech people.

Happened again in another club but it was enough for a joint. Guy collecting his gf at a club overheard me talking about smoking. He came back and said "here, have this." I was skeptical again. I asked "how much" but he just said "no, take it" and said something along the lines of wanting us to have a good memory of Prague.

But then again, I'm friendly and people talk to me all the time and vice versa.

So, you know I do the same when I come across tourists. I go out of the way to give them directions, take them to a bar they'd like and just generally make them feel welcome. You can be in a **** city but if the people are nice, you'll go back.

How pretty are you? You're pretty, right?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Speaking of unsettling things: the scariest border experience I ever had was (surprise, surprise) going from Hungary into Slovakia!! Yes, far more scary than Poland into Belarus or Iran into Azerbaijan!! Whatever was the reason, but the whole Slovakian army seemed to be everywhere and loads of guns!! Clearly, something was going down at the time and it was around the 9/11 period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Post below

• Advertisement

1. Moscow...threatening city. Not a nice feel to the place. Still very 'Soviet' or something.
    2. L.A. - meh. Very overhyped and not v nice. Hollywood and Rodeo Drive etc. are nice but LA itself isn't.
    3. Beijing. Overcrowded, smoggy beyond belief.
    4. Helsinki. Boring. Nothing to see or do.
    5. Cairo. Pyramids are cool and the museum is ok-ish (but very old/run-down & nothing writtten in anythinh other than Arabic) but the rest of the city is like a landfill. It's incredibly 3rd world and very dirty.
    6. Riga but I was there many years ago when it was just out of Soviet clutches..people were dour and we were almost robbed a few times.

mosstin wrote: »
    It isn't a ****hole! Seriously. Great city. I liked Talinn too.

Tallinn is an amazing city with so much to see and do! It's really beautiful and well worth going to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Was there a few years ago and did not like the place at all. Unlike other places such as Saudi Arabia, Dubai try to hide all their repressive laws which makes it more scary actually. While not the worst city, I think it was the least enjoyable country I was ever in. It has no culture, no history and no social life worthwhile. A fake nightlife for tourists yes but laid on for them. I was never so glad to get out of it and go to Iran! Iran I found far friendlier and a kinder society despite their similar regime.

Slavery? They dont exactly go to other countries and kidnap them you know. Have you ever spoken to a labourer or a taxi driver about how they feel about Dubai? they brought in wage protect systems to stop lower paid staff from being taken advantage of, its not the EU but its is new country development takes time and they focused on the wrong areas at times, know any other country that had crisis in 08?? Fake nightlife if you went to a nightclub in Dubai what do you expect? Locals don't drink, did you manage to miss every single shisha cafe when you were there? that is local night life. Did you check out any Muslim culture? There is a whole centre dedicated to cultural understanding in Dubai. Dubai doesn't put on a show of liberalism, it is more liberal but isn't costa del sol. They have laws that everyone is aware of, yes they turn a blind eye to a lot but that doesn't mean the laws cant be enforced when people openly flout them. There are ridiculous laws(the issues surrounding rape are archaic) but in general if you have common sense and you wont have a problem, hundreds of thousands of expats live here without issue. As for culture, only old stuff id cultural is it? no one is allowed move on from the past are they? there are tonnes of galleries in the UAE, a Guggenheim is being built in AD which will house mostly middle eastern art, there will also be a louvre with a universal theme opening next year but sure they are buying culture so that doesn't count. there is currently a great exhibit in saadiyat the history of the world in 100 objects (on lone from the British museum) one of which is an islamic coin, these coins were a turning point in the history of the world and trade but sure lets ignore that as well. How about the history of area's like Deira with a rich history of pearl diving and trade? Aw sure we won't count that either... I know its not perfect but you get what you look for in a place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We are a very privileged lot, aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

5. Cairo. Pyramids are cool and the museum is ok-ish (but very old/run-down & nothing writtten in anythinh other than Arabic) but the rest of the city is like a landfill. It's incredibly 3rd world and very dirty..

So much to see and do in Cairo. Spent 2 weeks and will have to go back some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

thelad95 wrote: »
    Swansea and Cardiff in Wales. Both utter kips.

My search button isn't working so after a lot of surfing the thread, I found what I was looking for. Somebody of like mind.

Two votes now for Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Oh, how could I forget to add...

Pretty much EVERYWHERE in Sweden. It was like Germany, but even worse. At least Germans are friendly and engaging. Swedish people are cold, shy and dry on a scale like never before. So boring. Scandinavian history is interesting but honestly the people were amongst the worst I'd met. Wouldn't go back if you offered me a free flight and hotel for 2 weeks.

From wikitravel "When entering a bus or another form of public transportation it is often considered unpolite to sit next to another person if there is another twin seat available." I mean wtf! I get that some people prefer sitting by themselves, I mean I know I do, but I wouldn't consider it rude or impolite if someone sat down beside me. They are public seats. They are meant to be sat down on. /rantover :P (I had a very bad experience in Sweden as you might guess!)

Norway and Denmark on the other hand, are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Palz wrote: »
    My search button isn't working so after a lot of surfing the thread, I found what I was looking for. Somebody of like mind.

Two votes now for Cardiff.

Don't forget Bangor 'City' in the north...another fine kip of a place in Wales.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    From wikitravel "When entering a bus or another form of public transportation it is often considered unpolite to sit next to another person if there is another twin seat available." I mean wtf!

That's the same in dublin sure
    Nobody sits beside someone else if there's another twin seat

The pictures of their bus stop queues are kinda funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    phnom penh. Dump

Siem reap. Even bigger dump

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's the same in dublin sure
    Nobody sits beside someone else if there's another twin seat

The pictures of their bus stop queues are kinda funny though

My friend is an Irishwoman in Sweden. She said she was on a full bus once, and the only seat available was beside some young woman. She sat down beside her and the woman decided to spend the rest of the bus journey STANDING UP! Madness I tell ye. Poor girl is going mental over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I spent 19 long days working in Tashkent, Uzbekistan 12 years ago.

It was the most boring place I have ever been. It didnt help that we were ferried from our compound, yes compound to work and back every day by bus.
    Had some freedom at weekends but very little to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

From wikitravel "When entering a bus or another form of public transportation it is often considered unpolite to sit next to another person if there is another twin seat available." I mean wtf! I get that some people prefer sitting by themselves, I mean I know I do, but I wouldn't consider it rude or impolite if someone sat down beside me. They are public seats. They are meant to be sat down on. /rantover :P (I had a very bad experience in Sweden as you might guess!)
    :confused: that would be considered an invasion of personal space in pretty much every western culture.

:confused: that would be considered an invasion of personal space in pretty much every western culture.

I would beg to differ.

Siem reap. Even bigger dump

Really? Siem Reap is fine in comparison to Phnom Penh. At least in Siem Reap you don't have child prostitution so openly on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How is that an invasion of personal space? A bus is a public mode of transport so there will be other members of the public.
    I couldn't give a toss if someone sat next to me and I'd sit next to someone as well if I had no choice.
    If they decided to stand up the moment I get next to them I'd ask what the fook their problem is.

My friend is an Irishwoman in Sweden. She said she was on a full bus once, and the only seat available was beside some young woman. She sat down beside her and the woman decided to spend the rest of the bus journey STANDING UP! Madness I tell ye. Poor girl is going mental over there

Okay that IS pushing it a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If you had no choice is the point. If you have a choice, you should pick another seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone who describes a city as "boring" is really just telling us more about themselves than the city imho. A city can't be boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I spent 6 months in Stockholm and never saw this and I was trying to sit beside as many young wans as I could!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

wuffly wrote: »
    Slavery? They dont exactly go to other countries and kidnap them you know. Have you ever spoken to a labourer or a taxi driver about how they feel about Dubai? they brought in wage protect systems to stop lower paid staff from being taken advantage of, its not the EU but its is new country development takes time and they focused on the wrong areas at times, know any other country that had crisis in 08?? Fake nightlife if you went to a nightclub in Dubai what do you expect? Locals don't drink, did you manage to miss every single shisha cafe when you were there? that is local night life. Did you check out any Muslim culture? There is a whole centre dedicated to cultural understanding in Dubai. Dubai doesn't put on a show of liberalism, it is more liberal but isn't costa del sol. They have laws that everyone is aware of, yes they turn a blind eye to a lot but that doesn't mean the laws cant be enforced when people openly flout them. There are ridiculous laws(the issues surrounding rape are archaic) but in general if you have common sense and you wont have a problem, hundreds of thousands of expats live here without issue. As for culture, only old stuff id cultural is it? no one is allowed move on from the past are they? there are tonnes of galleries in the UAE, a Guggenheim is being built in AD which will house mostly middle eastern art, there will also be a louvre with a universal theme opening next year but sure they are buying culture so that doesn't count. there is currently a great exhibit in saadiyat the history of the world in 100 objects (on lone from the British museum) one of which is an islamic coin, these coins were a turning point in the history of the world and trade but sure lets ignore that as well. How about the history of area's like Deira with a rich history of pearl diving and trade? Aw sure we won't count that either... I know its not perfect but you get what you look for in a place...

I agree with you on some points, but not on others. I lived in Dubai for 8 years and the difference between nationalities is disgusting.

Some labourers are recruited from very poor villages in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan etc., promised a great life in Dubai. The reality is very different. Made work 6 days a week, (as do most of us), live in a compound with 100's of other labourers, passports taken off then, only paid a fraction of what they were promised and not left travel home for years. They really are treated like dirt. I remember thinking while the burj al Arab was been built, that not one of those who spent hours in mid day heat building it would ever be allowed inside its doors.

Locals don't drink???? Yes they do. I was exec head chef of a 5 star hotel there and the way staff were treated by customers was appalling. While the local customers just expect to be waited on hand and foot, the worst were actually Western European expats who think that because they have a nanny and maid they can treat them like ****e also.

I used to get slagged because I lived in Deira, not jumeirah or the new greens that popped up, we didn't have a maid or house cleaner.

Dubai is a very false city, yes it has its very beautiful and historic areas, it has some of the best 5 star facilities in the world, a Mecca for those who have money. But hell for most of those that has built the city. Human rights don't exist there for everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I agree with you on some points, but not on others. I lived in Dubai for 8 years and the difference between nationalities is disgusting.

Some labourers are recruited from very poor villages in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan etc., promised a great life in Dubai. The reality is very different. Made work 6 days a week, (as do most of us), live in a compound with 100's of other labourers, passports taken off then, only paid a fraction of what they were promised and not left travel home for years. They really are treated like dirt. I remember thinking while the burj al Arab was been built, that not one of those who spent hours in mid day heat building it would ever be allowed inside its doors.

Locals don't drink???? Yes they do. I was exec head chef of a 5 star hotel there and the way staff were treated by customers was appalling. While the local customers just expect to be waited on hand and foot, the worst were actually Western European expats who think that because they have a nanny and maid they can treat them like ****e also.

I used to get slagged because I lived in Deira, not jumeirah or the new greens that popped up, we didn't have a maid or house cleaner.

Dubai is a very false city, yes it has its very beautiful and historic areas, it has some of the best 5 star facilities in the world, a Mecca for those who have money. But hell for most of those that has built the city. Human rights don't exist there for everyone!!

Don't want to get into a debate about the place. Agree with many of your points. What i saying was that there is culture here.
    Yes there is inequality but the UAE is the top ranking Arab country in relation to human rights. WPS has made a big difference to lower paid workers in the last few years. Our highest and lowest paid staff members are both Indian expats. Agree that there is a way to go but adopt a camp and other charities are raising awareness and a lot big companies are making camp improvements a key part of their CSR. Yes locals drink but you aren't going to find an arab bar are you? its not part of the culture. Yes there are plenty of twats from all nationalites, and i know plenty of people that have never bothered to visit a mosque, meet an Emirati, learn a few words of the language that doesn't mean there's no culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Belfast - come nightime the city is a ghost town. no nightlife about it at all. clubs are few and far between. unlike dublin where we have temple bar and dozens of clubs/bars all within walking distance of o connell bridge

jester77 wrote: »
    Really? Siem Reap is fine in comparison to Phnom Penh. At least in Siem Reap you don't have child prostitution so openly on display.

Disagree with you, really didnt like the place at all. Apart from the few nice colonial french buildings I found it very depressing. Ankhor wat was nice though, the only reason to go there.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Belfast - come nightime the city is a ghost town. no nightlife about it at all. clubs are few and far between. unlike dublin where we have temple bar and dozens of clubs/bars all within walking distance of o connell bridge

A lot of tension in the air too. Didnt like it one bit walking around at night

• Advertisement

A lot of tension in the air too. Didnt like it one bit walking around at night

I thought Belfast had a great nightlife, I had loads of craic there. Though I agree there was a serious tension in the air, did not feel safe walking around the city centre at night! Went looking for a bottle of Buckie during the night time at Falls Rd, thinking I would be on friendly grounds... I was so wrong! We felt sooo uncomfortable.

Great city overall tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Kreutzberg district in Berlin. A total and utter dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Johannesburg isn't great. Depends on the areas you go to obviously but there is so much petty crime like assaults and robberies. Huge drug problems. Wandering around at night time is pretty much out of the question on your own. I wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cairo - now there is a dump literally. Went there few months after the revolution and the place is an open tip. The people just want a piece of you and it stinks of horse sh1t. Saw the pyramids which why i went but never again. Every just keeps on harassing you for baksheesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Jasus, that Mogadishu place is in bits. Remind you of Darndale a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ah to be fair what were you expecting visiting a place after major political turmoil and civil unrest.

I hear Damascus is lovely this time of year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thought Sunderland was an absolute ****hole - got cheap tickets to see Sunderland v Liverpool at the Stadium of Light a couple of years back (was up in Newcastle for the Great North Run anyway), couldn't wait to get the feck out of there after the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Barcelona. Nightmare of a city.

Stateside, I would never want to go back to Salt Lake City. What a terrible kip of an arid, boring hell-hole.

Finally, and not because anything really bad happened there, I may return to Las Vegas, but not for a long, LONG time. I wasn't right in the head for weeks after getting back from there. Some people just can't handle Vegas. I am some people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

For me has to be Cape Town, just avoid it is unsafe, indeed i will go further and say the whole of SA.
    A lot of the Northern Italian cities have serious social issues and are not safe unless you are street wise and up for a fight.
    It would be great if there was somewhere where we could capture these opinions in a poll or make it more concise as this is a great thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

For me has to be Cape Town, just avoid it is unsafe, indeed i will go further and say the whole of SA.
    A lot of the Northern Italian cities have serious social issues and are not safe unless you are street wise and up for a fight.
    It would be great if there was somewhere where we could capture these opinions in a poll or make it more concise as this is a great thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I thought Belfast had a great nightlife, I had loads of craic there. Though I agree there was a serious tension in the air, did not feel safe walking around the city centre at night! Went looking for a bottle of Buckie during the night time at Falls Rd, thinking I would be on friendly grounds... I was so wrong! We felt sooo uncomfortable.

Great city overall tho :)
    Belfast is grand and the "air of tension" is only in your head.

You'd be under more actual threat outside the chipper in Galway or Mullingar (or Longford/ Cavan and pretty much any town I can think of) than Belfast.
    Sure not even champion boxers are safe nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone who describes a city as "boring" is really just telling us more about themselves than the city imho. A city can't be boring.

that is true, Moscow I could not describe as boring, the fact I HATED the place, the corruption, the costs, the hookers in the lobby of all hotels, being ripped off, the sheer indifference and abuse of each other not to mention everyone else. The place couldn't be called boring.. but CHRIST I will NEVER go back there again.

Mind you the subway and the escalators there-in are amazing..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I would say Naples but myself and my oh are heading that way again this year. Shame that Sorrento etc are so close to that awful place.

i grew up in the midlands in England. Some awful and lovely places around there.

in Ireland. I was never fond of Sligo or athlone (sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shalalala wrote: »
    I would say Naples but myself and my oh are heading that way again this year. Shame that Sorrento etc are so close to that awful place.

i grew up in the midlands in England. Some awful and lovely places around there.

in Ireland. I was never fond of Sligo or athlone (sorry)
    indeed - places like Coventry really should be reduced to rubble (again) and rebuilt from scratch (again) and I cant see myself ever going there ever again

• Advertisement
Advertisement