Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities you'd never return to

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Glasgow is the urban equivalent of a steaming pile of horse shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Perhaps you're just not that observant? That's not meant to be an insult, but as beautiful as the city is, it is rife with petty crime, prostitution, gangs of Roma, illegal immigrants controlled by mafias (the ones who sell DVDs on sheets on the street...) and it really does have quite a sketchy vibe about it. Some people (my sister, for example) really just don't notice that stuff unless it directly affects them.

So it's basically the same as any number of cities the world over. Only way more beautiful, diverse, better craic, with fabulous weather and a great big beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Lapin wrote: »
    Crystal Palace. :(

My old man is a west brom fan.

A few years back we had a family wedding in London and WBA were playing in selhurst park a few days before hand.

The jacks was broke and they ran out of beer. The floor were covered in piss by full time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

So it's basically the same as any number of cities the world over. Only way more beautiful, diverse, better craic, with fabulous weather and a great big beach.

I haven't been to many other places where the above mentioned things were that much in your face. Most people I know who have been to Barcelona have been affected by one or more of them. Kind of ruins your holiday when you get violently mugged and end up with a broken cheekbone, can't fly home because your passport was stolen or worse. Yes, nowhere is safe, but I've been to few other first world cities with as sketchy a vibe as Barcelona. I don't think the craic is that great either, it's way overpriced and the locals are stuck up. If I ever somehow ended up there again, I'd be on the first bus down to Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I haven't been to many other places where the above mentioned things were that much in your face. Most people I know who have been to Barcelona have been affected by one or more of them. Kind of ruins your holiday when you get violently mugged and end up with a broken cheekbone, can't fly home because your passport was stolen or worse. Yes, nowhere is safe, but I've been to few other first world cities with as sketchy a vibe as Barcelona. I don't think the craic is that great either, it's way overpriced and the locals are stuck up. If I ever somehow ended up there again, I'd be on the first bus down to Valencia.

Couldn't agree more. Apart from being pick-pocketed, which was a serious pain, I did not find the locals very welcoming at all in Barcelona. Valencia is a pleasant little city, and much better value for money too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Been to Barcelona a good few times, and while it wouldn't be my first choice of city to return to I can't say I ever felt like I was in much danger.

I wouldn't wander round many cities carrying my passport with me, you'd have to hope most people have more sense than that?

I think sometimes there is a particular type of Irish abroad that do themselves no favours by drinking their way through a long weekend, staggering around looking for pubs which conform to the drink-focused pubs they get at home, complaining that they are bored when they cant find em.

In most european cities you'll find these particular specimens ignoring museums & not trying the local food and not listening to local music whilst seeking out fried breakfasts and dirty pints of stout you wouldn't touch with a barge pole a home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am pie wrote: »
    Been to Barcelona a good few times, and while it wouldn't be my first choice of city to return to I can't say I ever felt like I was in much danger.

I wouldn't wander round many cities carrying my passport with me, you'd have to hope most people have more sense than that?

I think sometimes there is a particular type of Irish abroad that do themselves no favours by drinking their way through a long weekend, staggering around looking for pubs which conform to the drink-focused pubs they get at home, complaining that they are bored when they cant find em.

In most european cities you'll find these particular specimens ignoring museums & not trying the local food and not listening to local music whilst seeking out fried breakfasts and dirty pints of stout you wouldn't touch with a barge pole a home.

So anyone who doesn't like what you like is probably an uncultured lager lout who's just looking for a pissup in an Irish bar?

That's more than a little self righteous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Same here, although I've recently been to Malaga and I found it a lot more pleasant in many ways. It's not as in your face as Barcelona and the people seem to be more welcoming too. Plus its a lot cheaper.

Be thankful you weren't stopped by the police, then, because it's ILLEGAL not to carry your passport in Spain.

None of the people I know who had bad experiences in Barcelona are anything like that.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    So anyone who doesn't like what you like is probably an uncultured lager lout who's just looking for a pissup in an Irish bar?

That's more than a little self righteous.

I didn't say any of that, but nice try putting words in my mouth so you could have a pop. You've knocked together a nice boozy strawman based on nothing I've said, bit precious, but sure that's your own perogative.

The words uncultured never featured in my post, neither did pissup.

If you think it's self righteous to say that perhaps when travelling to other cities around Europe it is worth investing time in enjoying the culinary and cultural offerings native to that place, then I'm lost for words.

I think it's a shame to travel and head to an Irish bar, why not stay at home and enjoy..err, Irish bars. Certainly get drunk whilst visiting somewher, try and do it in a local bar perhaps? Maybe with some local food and wine though? Maybe even with a bit of local music in the back ground. Revolutionary.

Be thankful you weren't stopped by the police, then, because it's ILLEGAL not to carry your passport in Spain.

None of the people I know who had bad experiences in Barcelona are anything like that.

Illegal not to carry your passport in Spain? I'm calling that out as nonsense. It's a schengen country, you don't even need a passport to enter it if you are an EU national (outside of Ire/UK). If you are suggesting the police are stopping tourists and asking for passports, you're wrong/lying/exagerrating wildly.

Again, not my favourite place but beyond the threat of pickpocketing (which can be guarded against to a certain extent) it is not a particularly dangerous city.

I didn't say any of that, but nice try putting words in my mouth so you could have a pop. You've knocked together a nice boozy strawman based on nothing I've said, bit precious, but sure that's your own perogative.

The words uncultured never featured in my post, neither did pissup.

If you think it's self righteous to say that perhaps when travelling to other cities around Europe it is worth investing time in enjoying the culinary and cultural offerings native to that place, then I'm lost for words.

I think it's a shame to travel and head to an Irish bar, why not stay at home and enjoy..err, Irish bars. Certainly get drunk whilst visiting somewher, try and do it in a local bar perhaps? Maybe with some local food and wine though? Maybe even with a bit of local music in the back ground. Revolutionary.

You're the one who implied that people who don't like places don't have any interest in museums, local food or local people (the culture of an area) and are only being interested in visiting a certain type of bar.

I don't like Barcelona for many reasons and funnily enough one of them is the over abundance of crap bars full of nothing but northern Europeans getting hammered on cheap san miguel.
    Hablo español, I have been all over spain and Barcelona (actually, the east coast in general) is my least favourite part of the country because it's the area with the most tourists and the worst tourist culture.

Been all over it. Everywhere. Many times. All times of the day and night. Alone and with friends. Underground, overground, parks, plazas, boardwalks, marinas, docks, beachside, hillside. Met all sorts, immigrants and migrants and Catalan and grockle.

Never once had a scintilla of hassle. Just lots of great encounters.

My pal was turned upside down in Madrid outside a shisha joint but I'd still go back in a second. And have done.

But then maybe I'm observant and know when to steer clear. I've never been the victim of a crime in any part of the world.

Illegal not to carry your passport in Spain? I'm calling that out as nonsense. It's a schengen country, you don't even need a passport to enter it if you are an EU national (outside of Ire/UK). If you are suggesting the police are stopping tourists and asking for passports, you're wrong/lying/exagerrating wildly.

Everyone in Spain must carry government issued identification. Spanish nationals carry a Documento Nacional de Identidad, non nationals are required to carry a passport.

http://www.rondatoday.com/1180/carrying-id-when-living-in-spain

Again, not my favourite place but beyond the threat of pickpocketing (which can be guarded against to a certain extent) it is not a particularly dangerous city.

Wow, a know-it-all. I have lived in Spain, I think I know what the rules are. I have known several people who have been asked for passports. If you are fortunate enough to look white and European, you'll probably be fine, but yes, it is illegal not to carry your ID. So there's nothing 'stupid' about having it on you at all times.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hablo español, I have been all over spain and Barcelona (actually, the east coast in general) is my least favourite part of the country because it's the area with the most tourists and the worst tourist culture.

Ah now. Whatever about Barcelona, the Costa Brava is undeniably magnificent.

Ah now. Whatever about Barcelona, the Costa Brava is undeniably magnificent.

It is, it's beautiful, as are many other parts of the east of the country like, but, in general, the East coast is a bit of a tourist trap and has a ridiculous amount of resort towns. But you have problems like that all over the med, not just in Spain in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Valencia is a pleasant little city

Little city? its a fair bit bigger then Dublin

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Little city? its a fair bit bigger then Dublin

Valencia is really walkable, though. You can walk around all the touristy bits easily, walk to the beach, etc.

It's always nice to explore different cultures and try the local cuisine etc, but there's nothing wrong with hitting the Irish bars either. Some of the best nights out I've ever had were in Irish bars. Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Florida=old peoples home

Paris= dirty kip

Naples=nasty,dangerous, dirty kip

MW2FAN wrote: »
    Florida=old peoples home

Paris= dirty kip

Really? The entire state?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Really? The entire state?

Mainly Orlando but international drive was horrible and also the north isn't too great. Miami is alright unless getting shot is what you consider 'nice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Who in their right mind would want to go to Lagos? :confused:

I assume it's like Dubai where people go for business since Lagos is one of the biggest cities in Africa. I'd go under circumstances like those, it doesn't sound very nice but it would be interesting at least.
    Florida=old peoples home

Funnily enough there is a town in Florida called Naples which is lovely.

Mainly Orlando but international drive was horrible and also the north isn't too great. Miami is alright unless getting shot is what you consider 'nice'

I haven't been to Miami but I was in Orlando years ago. It's seems to be a fairly mixed demographic same as most cities no?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Ive lived in Sydney, New York, San Francisco and Dublin - now I live in a cottage in Meath .... never happier!:). It's what you make of your surroundings, I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Who in their right mind would want to go to Lagos? :confused:

The simple answer is nobody. I was not in my right mind when I decided to go there. Other parts of West Africa I found to be normal and decent but not Lagos: a sesspit of the worst scammers on the planet, full of pick pockets and a place where even the train station personnel and police seem to be in on the scammer act too. Other parts of Nigeria are fine (other than the northern Boko Haram ruled states of course) and Lagos gives Southern Nigeria a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Barcelona

Venice

Seville

Hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

C14N wrote: »
    I assume it's like Dubai where people go for business since Lagos is one of the biggest cities in Africa. I'd go under circumstances like those, it doesn't sound very nice but it would be interesting at least.

I would not advise doing business in Lagos!! Unless you really do know the people you are dealing with. It is full of scammers and unfortunately these are the most visible and are the main problem about the place. There are many many decent people there too but unfortunately corruption has taken over and is even in local authorities there and visitors are seen as people to extort money from. Scammers make people feel uneasy and unsafe and then convince people to pay up to avoid whatever worries they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Naples is a kip: streets full of skinny mangy dogs and their ****, police in ski masks with sub-machineguns pulling cars over and your liable to get boxed for wearing a football jersey the locals don't like (maybe its changed in the ten years or so since I was there)

Kilkenny is vastly overrated for a session: people confuse chronic overcrowding for atmosphere and every pub is just jam-packed with yahoos (Westport fulfills a similar market niche in a much nicer way)

Hipster areas of Brooklyn like Williamsburg: overpriced, quite kippy (because some hipster cachet attaches to things being run-down), and actually full of very boring and derivative people.

Also: Lagos a dump? Never!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Dermighty wrote: »
    Barcelona

Venice

Seville

Hull

Spot the odd one out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

your liable to get boxed for wearing a football jersey the locals don't like (maybe its changed in the ten years or so since I was there)

Wouldn't fancy ones chances wearing a Rangers jersey in many parts of Dublin, or many other parts of the country for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The whole Paris is a kip thing is fairly mind blowing. You guys were in the one in France, right?

I would not advise doing business in Lagos!! Unless you really do know the people you are dealing with. It is full of scammers and unfortunately these are the most visible and are the main problem about the place. There are many many decent people there too but unfortunately corruption has taken over and is even in local authorities there and visitors are seen as people to extort money from. Scammers make people feel uneasy and unsafe and then convince people to pay up to avoid whatever worries they have.

Maybe so but with 20 million people, there are going to be a good few multi-nationals in the city so it's easy to see how people could end up there for work. My dad has been in plenty of similarly impoverished cities for his own work and a friend of my uncle's has found himself in various parts of Africa and the middle east for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

The whole Paris is a kip thing is fairly mind blowing. You guys were in the one in France, right?

Yes. Where you in the one in France? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

lufties wrote: »
    Having been in a good few places around the world, I would have to say Budapest is a beautiful one with regard to history and architecture, but it is definately to most unfriendly place I've been, the people I encountered were rude and unhelpful consistantly, hence I will not be returning. Other than that I'd say stuttgart in germany(yawn), or varanassi in India, an interesting place but a nightmare to get around.

London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Tsipras wrote: »
    Spot the odd one out:)

Hull wasnt as bad as Barcelona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Yes. Where you in the one in France? :P

5 times. It's easily the most spectacular city on earth. I just randomly dropped the little man from google street view on it and my suspicions are confirmed: it hasn't turned into Hull. Or Talbot street.

Nor is it "dirty". The streets are clean for the most part.

I think it's an inability to properly travel, the weekenders looking for pubs won't see much of a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

5 times. It's easily the most spectacular city on earth. I just randomly dropped the little man from google street view on it and my suspicions are confirmed: it hasn't turned into Hull. Or Talbot street.

I think it's an inability to properly travel, the weekenders looking for pubs won't see much of a city.

There was sewage running onto the streets when I was there. Metro was stinking. My friend had her passport stolen and had to waste a day at the embassy. Another friend was spat in the face for absolutely no reason. I was refused service in a shop because they thought I was English. A friend I was with is allergic to nuts and I moved nuts sitting on a table in a bar onto the bar itself, explained why and the barman tutted and rolled eyes...great customer service. I was there and went around the city, so I experienced plenty of it. It was not a good experience for any of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Reiketsu wrote: »
    There was sewage running onto the streets when I was there. Metro was stinking. My friend had her passport stolen and had to waste a day at the embassy. Another friend was spat in the face for absolutely no reason. I was refused service in a shop because they thought I was English. A friend I was with is allergic to nuts and I moved nuts sitting on a table in a bar onto the bar itself, explained why and the barman tutted and rolled eyes...great customer service. I was there and went around the city, so I experienced plenty of it. It was not a good experience for any of us.

While not as extreme an experience, I found Paris similarly awful. The rest of France is fine, especially Brittany (maybe my Celtic blood fit in more), but I wouldnt go back to Paris for love nor money.

Madrid was the opposite of Paris for me, I went expecting little, but found a wonderful city. I'm surprised its not up there and mentioned more often as a place to go. Maybe with big name competition like Barcelona and Paris its difficult to get a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Pisa.

We ended up there by accident as our flights to Rome got cancelled and a flight to Pisa that evening was the only one available. Apart from the Leaning Tower and the grounds immediately around it - there is absolutely nothing to do or see. Luckily we were only there the one night and following morning for sight-seeing and got a train transfer down to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭delboy85

I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time and I think the only city that I've ever been to that has NO redeeming qualities is Helsinki. Utterly dull place.

Am genuinely surprised at some of the hate for Paris and Barcelona. Both beautiful cities in my opinion.

It was a good few years since I've been in the city but I remember there being a lot of visible homelessness in the city centre and the metro was by far the worst one I've ever used. Much dirtier and more scummy looking than London, Hamburg, Toronto or Montreal. Maybe it just stuck out more for me because I was a kid at the time.

delboy85 wrote: »
    I've done a fair bit of travelling in my time and I think the only city that I've ever been to that has NO redeeming qualities is Helsinki. Utterly dull place.

Am genuinely surprised at some of the hate for Paris and Barcelona. Both beautiful cities in my opinion.

Kind of glad to hear that Helsinki is crap. I had a connection at the airport and didn't bother leaving it as was only a few hours...always wondered if I should have had a day or two in Helsinki before flying on to Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lagos was even worse: a dirty, corrupt hellhole full of the type of scammers we get emails from every day only you have to meet them and be hassled by them all the time from train station, on the train, in the hotel bar, on the streets, etc. Only in your hotel bedroom are you free from them! It was a miracle my money was not stolen too!
    Lagos? Ah, come on, the Paris of West Africa. Beautiful city full of interesting people :pac:
    fricatus wrote: »
    They may have been going on business, or else they may have decided to see for themselves what life is like in the largest city in west Africa.

Personally, I wouldn't be spending my holiday money to go there, but if I got the chance, I still wouldn't pass it up. It would be an experience if nothing else.

I recommend Accra in Ghana instead. Very friendly people (genuinely friendly, not after your money friendly I find you get in a lot of SE Asia), surprisingly safe to walk around, even at night on your own, handy to get around and english is spoken fairly widely. I wouldn't go to nigeria unless I had to, but I'd happily go to Ghana again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kind of glad to hear that Helsinki is crap. I had a connection at the airport and didn't bother leaving it as was only a few hours...always wondered if I should have had a day or two in Helsinki before flying on to Asia.

No, you missed out. I was there for a few days and thought it was a great place.

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, you missed out. I was there for a few days and thought it was a great place.

Well, I can still go, but it seems crazily expensive so it's never been a top priority! What was great about it?

I was contemplating a trip to Dubai at some stage but kind of put off now if peoples opinions on this thread are anything to go by. The consensus seems to be that its a soulless sesspit of ostentatious wealth.

I was contemplating a trip to Dubai at some stage but kind of put off now if peoples opinions on this thread are anything to go by. The consensus seems to be that its a soulless sesspit of ostentatious wealth.

Colleague is just back from there for the millionth time and loves it to bits!
    Give it a go if you're interested sure

Honestly, the only people I know who like Dubai are a certain 'type'. Materialistic, a bit vacuous, obsessed with designer clothes, jewellery and status symbols. Happy to spend their entire holiday shopping and don't even think for a moment about the exploitation of workers and whatnot that goes on there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement