Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities you'd never return to

1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lisburn, full of fat overweight xcessively tatooed loyalist scum.

Yeah and then you have the male folk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    London, hated the place.

Shockingly overrated place to live. If you live your life in swanky nightclubs or trendy cocktails bars then fine, but as for the outdoors in London it's pretty grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dundalk, full of fat overweight xcessively tatooed republican scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I really wasn't taken with Dubai when I went there 4 weeks ago on a stop over. I probably would never go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wasn't terribly taken by Paris tbh. It's off the list but I wouldn't be going out of my way to return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

London, over rated?

Jesus Christ.

What did Dickens say again...if you tire of London, you are tired of life.

My last 2 visits there were very hard work...very hot temps, big crowds and long queues in touristy spots, the tube not running, a rip off hotel... so I can see why that stuff might be a turn off to a visitor. But to call the city itself over rated...my God, you could spent a month there, and only scratch the merest surface of what it has to offer.

London, over rated?

Jesus Christ.

My last 2 visits there were very hard work...very hot temps, big crowds and long queues in touristy spots, the tube not running, a rip off hotel... so I can see why that stuff might be a turn off to a visitor.

But to call the city itself over rated...my God, you could spent a month there, and only scratch the merest surface of what it has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Cairo, nice to see and do the tourist stuff but if they arent trying to rip you off they are hitting on the wife. I had to tip a cop for 'keeping me safe'! and that was at the pyramids. Just a nasty cheap rip off city with rubbish dumped everywhere. The Pyramids were probable the most disapointing experience of my life.

Bangkok, being surrounded and offered an underage hooker by a dozen pimps while a cop stands watching. was also hot but rained, smelly and perhaps nothing to do with the city but I got very very sick. the restaurant in the hotel was lovely though.

Cant understand the anti London comments, its a great spot for a tourist. been a dozen times now and still new things to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Cork. Ignorant gawpy c**nts most of em.

The thing about London is that you have to know what you are letting your self in for and adjust your expectations & plans accordingly.

It is deffo a city that you need deep pockets for, whether you live there, or you are a tourist....no getting around that.

If you are visiting/staying with friends and family in the parts of the city that the Irish traditionally live in....well, they can be a bit grim to say the least. They won't necessarily give you the best impression of the city as a whole.

The place is feckin' huge. The Underground map has led many an unsuspecting tourist into thinking it was nice and compact & that the things worth seeing, are quite close to each other. They ain't. Once you find that out, your day is half over, you are knackered tired & you have to face the trek back to your hotel in rush hour crowds.

Stuff like that can be off putting, but if you know what you are getting into and use yer noggin, its just a brilliant city to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Two stand out from my travels

1. Mobile, Alabama
    2. Podgorica, formerly Titograd - the specimens that are seen begging would make a fortune in a western freak show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Two stand out from my travels

1. Mobile, Alabama
    2. Podgorica, formerly Titograd - the specimens that are seen begging would make a fortune in a western freak show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Washington DC. Couldn't believe how many vagrants there were on park benches at night. And this was on Pennsylvania Avenue, close to the White House and Capitol Hill ! By day, if you loved history you were in for a treat. Great museums, Arlington cemetery, Lincoln memorial etc. You'd do it all in two days. I would have been annoyed if I booked the place for longer than that. I was only on a three day bus trip from New York thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Venice,probably the biggest ****hole i ever visited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It is deffo a city that you need deep pockets for, whether you live there, or you are a tourist....no getting around that.

the oyster card is not tourist friendly thats for sure. Compared to other cities, the tourist options are very poor however a nice inspector explained to me, the normal pay and travel cards max out at 6 pound a day so for a tourist its actually better value than the unlimited journey ones. tenner for the card and load it with a few quid, bobs your uncle plus you can keep it and just top up every time you go back
    Venice,probably the biggest ****hole i ever visited.

Must have been a different one to the one I was in, wouldnt call it an amazing place but a ****hole????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

esforum wrote: »
    the oyster card is not tourist friendly thats for sure. Compared to other cities, the tourist options are very poor however a nice inspector explained to me, the normal pay and travel cards max out at 6 pound a day so for a tourist its actually better value than the unlimited journey ones. tenner for the card and load it with a few quid, bobs your uncle plus you can keep it and just top up every time you go back

Must have been a different one to the one I was in, wouldnt call it an amazing place but a ****hole????

I thought it was a smelly kip and i certainly wouldnt return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

fryup wrote: »
    1. Dundalk isn't a city
    2. It's not as Republican as Newry, which is a city; and has more Republicans in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

the old town in Bratislava is really nice. People are friendly and everything is very reasonably priced. Whats not to like?
    It's very bland. It's about 8 years since i was there but other than the big castle (with views over the Soviet housing estates) it didn't offer much for the tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Paris. Hated it.
    Thought the people were incredibly rude.
    An overrated city imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Cork. Ignorant gawpy c**nts most of em.

Dafuq does that mean? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

London, over rated?

Jesus Christ.

My last 2 visits there were very hard work...very hot temps, big crowds and long queues in touristy spots, the tube not running, a rip off hotel... so I can see why that stuff might be a turn off to a visitor.

But to call the city itself over rated...my God, you could spent a month there, and only scratch the merest surface of what it has to offer.

I'm glad I got spend some time in london back in the late 90s early 2000s. I was back for the first time in probably a decade a year ago and f**k me, its jam packed, overpriced, everything is franchised, branded and incorporated like its had its soul sucked out its arse and you could be in anywhereistan given the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

London, over rated?

Jesus Christ.

What did Dickens Samuel Johnson say again...if you tire of London, you are tired of life.

FYP. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

La.de.da wrote: »
    Paris. Hated it.
    Thought the people were incredibly rude.
    An overrated city imo.

Yeah, everyone else in the world is wrong. You're right. (They probably didn't even understand English, the fckin idiots!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Islander13 wrote:
    1. Mobile, Alabama 2. Podgorica, formerly Titograd - the specimens that are seen begging would make a fortune in a western freak show

When were you last in Podgorica ? I don't recall ever seeing a beggar. Fabulous looking women.

It is a small city with not a lot going on but perfectly pleasant and handy for the lovely coastal towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I think you'll find its full multinational Paypalese workers now. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and that is just the women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wolverhampton. Everywhere seemed to either be closed or selling fried chicken.

Hanoi too. Vietnam is a stunning part of the world but jesus Hanoi is a kip. Streets have no pattern or organisation, shops just spill out onto the paths, no signposts, very smelly from the exhausts of millions of mo-peds and suffocatingly humid. Didn't get into a single taxi that knew where I wanted to go in their city.

Bangkok but that may have been as much my fault as Bangkok's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Hull. As near to hell as you'll get.

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Wolverhampton. Everywhere seemed to either be closed or selling fried chicken.

Hanoi too. Vietnam is a stunning part of the world but jesus Hanoi is a kip. Streets have no pattern or organisation, shops just spill out onto the paths, no signposts, very smelly from the exhausts of millions of mo-peds and suffocatingly humid. Didn't get into a single taxi that knew where I wanted to go in their city.

Bangkok but that may have been as much my fault as Bangkok's.

Hanoi in winter was OK - a bit damp and drizzly but I thought it was fascinating. A huge contrast with the bling in Ho Chi Minh.

As for Bangkok - definitely your fault. Amazing place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

First Up wrote: »
    Hanoi in winter was OK - a bit damp and drizzly but I thought it was fascinating. A huge contrast with the bling in Ho Chi Minh.

As for Bangkok - definitely your fault. Amazing place.

I'll take your word for it on the winter front. Agree, the contrast from Ho Chi Minh is remarkable, like a totally different country. The whole half communist half not thing is mad. I guess my view of Hanoi was skewed by it being split in two either side of a weekend in Haalong Bay. The most remarkable place I have ever seen and may ever see.
    Yeah Bangkok i found culturally fascinating with so many nationalities in the one place. But Ko San road nearly killed me before a month long trip had even begun though. Still wake up in sweats from the Ping Pong show.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I'll take your word for it on the winter front. Agree, the contrast from Ho Chi Minh is remarkable, like a totally different country. The whole half communist half not thing is mad. I guess my view of Hanoi was skewed by it being split in two either side of a weekend in Haalong Bay. The most remarkable place I have ever seen and may ever see.
    Yeah Bangkok i found culturally fascinating with so many nationalities in the one place. But Ko San road nearly killed me before a month long trip had even begun though. Still wake up in sweats from the Ping Pong show.

Koh San Road is just a back packers cess pit.

First Up wrote: »
    Koh San Road is just a back packers cess pit.

Yes don't go near the place. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Menda City

Advertisement