If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on connecting win7 laptop through hdmi to onkyo 626

Options
  • 19-04-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Hi again,
    I recently bought the onkyo 626 with monitor floorstanders, centre and tannoy sub from you and now that I have a bit of time have gone about setting it up proper!

Have any of you guys connected a win7 pc through HDMI to a tv through the 626?
    The pcs connect no problem when directly connected to the tv but when I introduce the amp into the equation I get display not detected (from the pc).
    When the pc is connected to the amp, the tv detects a change all right but then just goes to a blue screen.
    Might there be some setting I'm missing? 
    All drivers are up to date. Firewall has been switched on and off.

I'm hoping this is a setting I'm missing, thought I'd just run it by you

Thanks lads

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi again,
    I recently bought the onkyo 626 with monitor floorstanders, centre and tannoy sub from you and now that I have a bit of time have gone about setting it up proper!

The pcs connect no problem when directly connected to the tv but when I introduce the amp into the equation I get display not detected (from the pc).
    When the pc is connected to the amp, the tv detects a change all right but then just goes to a blue screen.

Thanks lads
    Hey Skill.

I'm not 100% sure on this and I'd need to do a bit of reading up.

What resolution is the PC set to? Sometimes if the PC resolution is set to a high resolution the amp may not be able to cope with it and will not display any image.

Try lowering the resolution and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Hi again,

Thanks lads
    Hey Skill.

What resolution is the PC set to? Sometimes if the PC resolution is set to a high resolution the amp may not be able to cope with it and will not display any image.

Thanks for getting back, I've tried that already from the lowest to the highest res still nowt, the thing is when the amp is out of the equation they work fine directly into the the tv through hdmi.
    I've reset the amp too (power and cb button simultaneously)
    I've connected it using a few different inputs on the amp (using the pc one at the minute).
    When I connect a 7" tab through the same hdmi input (in this case the pc one) it displays fine.
    Arghhh! :confused:

Don't suppose you could try doing it up there and tell me if it works?
    Or is it just me?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi again,

Thanks lads
    Hey Skill.

Thanks for getting back, I've tried that already from the lowest to the highest res still nowt, the thing is when the amp is out of the equation they work fine directly into the the tv through hdmi.
    I've connected it using a few different inputs on the amp (using the pc one at the minute).
    When I connect a 7" tab through the same hdmi input (in this case the pc one) it displays fine.

Or is it just me?
    Hi Skill,

Unfortunately we don't have any laptops (at all), or even desktops that run Windows 7 that we could connect up.  If you press the Windows button and 'P' it will give you options for dual screen etc.  Could be worth while maybe checking a few options there.  

Sorry we couldn't help much further.  If we can think of anything else we'll let you know.  Will also keep our eyes open for solutions.

Chris  

Hi again,

Thanks lads
    Hey Skill.

Or is it just me?
    Hi Skill,

Unfortunately we don't have any laptops (at all), or even desktops that run Windows 7 that we could connect up.  If you press the Windows button and 'P' it will give you options for dual screen etc.  Could be worth while maybe checking a few options there.  

Sorry we couldn't help much further.  If we can think of anything else we'll let you know.  Will also keep our eyes open for solutions.

Chris  
    Cheers, I'll keep tipping away at it, I'll post the solution when I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I have a Onyko 605 linked to a Win 7 PC. Not near it now but setup a good while ago but check the physical amp connections and that PC is in HDmi input and the output is HDmi to TV. On the amp menu set the input and outputs. That's from vague memory and will follow thread and check back. In a few dayscI can check and compare mine but don't think I had any issues with Win 7 resolution.

• Advertisement

MAJJ wrote: »
    I have a Onyko 605 linked to a Win 7 PC. Not near it now but setup a good while ago but check the physical amp connections and that PC is in HDmi input and the output is HDmi to TV. On the amp menu set the input and outputs. That's from vague memory and will follow thread and check back. In a few dayscI can check and compare mine but don't think I had any issues with Win 7 resolution.

cheers for getting back, it seems I can connect everything bar my pcs, argh!! I've just connected a wd live hub and its fine, but connect the pc or laptop and all i get is a bue screen (not a bsod by the way) . It makes no sense, cause I can connect directly to the tv, bypassing the amp and it works.

Watch this space

haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

From past experience...things to try.

1) Ensure drivers are updated from MFG website and don't just rely on windows update.
    2) Download MFG control panel to manage display e.g. ATI Catalyst Control Center for ATI drivers.
    3) Ensure HDMI driver is downloaded and updated from MFG website.
    4) Reboot PC when connected to AMP and TV.
    5) Try PC HDMI cable in different HDMI inputs on AMP. I think HDMI 5 is for PC.
    6) Ensure AMP has input set to HDMI for video/sound.
    7) Power on PC, then AMP and lastly TV.
    8) Ensure HDMI output is set as default in "sounds".

eddiem74 wrote: »

1) Ensure drivers are updated from MFG website and don't just rely on windows update.
    2) Download MFG control panel to manage display e.g. ATI Catalyst Control Center for ATI drivers.

Cheers man, will try the above later, never heard of MFG though! Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eddiem74 wrote: »

Cheers man, will try the above later, never heard of MFG though! Any links?
    Sorry MFG = manufacturer, so if your PC has an ATI graphics card for example go to their site. 

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm running out of options at this stage, I can get everything to work bar my pcs, which is problematic as I primarily bought the amp for connectivity. I've uninstalled drivers, used xp drivers, tried it in safe mode and no joy.
    I'll see if theres another laptop I can borrow tomorrow to test just to be 100% certain that there is some problem connecting windows 7 64 bit os's.
    On the Onkyo site for compat

ability with win 7
    , the 626 isn't mentioned so I'm presuming there may be issues there.
    If I don't get this resolved by myself during the week would the lads in richersounds be agreeable for me to pop up with the amp and my laptop on Saturday morning with a view to resolving this issue, either by connecting it or finding an alternate amp with no connectivity issues?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice lads, I'm running out of options at this stage, I can get everything to work bar my pcs, which is problematic as I primarily bought the amp for connectivity. I've uninstalled drivers, used xp drivers, tried it in safe mode and no joy.
    I'll see if theres another laptop I can borrow tomorrow to test just to be 100% certain that there is some problem connecting windows 7 64 bit os's.
    On the Onkyo site for compatibility with windows 7, the 626 isn't mentioned so I'm presuming there may be issues there.
    If I don't get this resolved by myself during the week would the lads in richersounds be agreeable for me to pop up with the amp and my laptop on Saturday morning with a view to resolving this issue, either by connecting it or finding an alternate amp with no connectivity issues?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Do you have a hdmi port in the front of the amp, aux or something like that? Try that.

Also did you update the amp firmware?

branners69 wrote: »
    Do you have a hdmi port in the front of the amp, aux or something like that? Try that.

Also did you update the amp firmware?
    I'm on the latest firmware, and there is an aux hdmi port on the back (there are 6 altogether), I've just checked that for the crack and still nothing. Tried it a few ways, tv off, av off rebooted laptop, av on then tv on, still the same.
    It has to be a driver issue, between the amp and the pc, but onkyo don't have drivers for downloading..
    Thanks for the advice it was worth a go!

This to me is definitely a Hdcp issue, is there an option to passthrough resolution in the setup?

Can you get your hands on a hdmi 3 or 5 way splitter? You plug the output of the splitter to one of your 6 inputs on your amp! 

There is an option to pass through, which I've done and still no picture. There is however a thumbnail of the extended desktop on the "InstaPreview" button, the slide on the far right at the bottom of the screen

VH7Tpu4l.jpg

Still scratchin my head...

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Skill,

unfortunately ( and I mean unfortunately) I'm on windows 8 so I cant try this in the office, no problem coming up to us but in the first instance give the boffins in Onkyo a shout at Onkyo tech support at http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/customer-care-hotline-42615.html +49-(0)8142-4208-11 FREE..

Love to hear back how you get on as we rarely use the Onkyo support service,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Looks like I've sorted it. I got it going by using the aux as branners69 :)  suggested, and I've used the following configuration : in case its of use to anyone, latest firmware1081-1110-0000-0302
    (Onkyo never got back by the way)

input output assign 
    Monitor out - main
    Resolution - through
    Component video input - everything blank
    Digital Audio input - everything blank

Hardware setup

hdmi - hdmi cec(rihd) off
    hdmi through - aux

Then I set sound out in playback devices to the amp - Sound and vision!!!!

TR7STD3l.jpg

Glad you got it working, fair play for keeping at it and for posting your solution!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Looks like I've sorted it. I got it going by using the aux as branners69 :)  suggested, and I've used the following configuration : in case its of use to anyone, latest firmware1081-1110-0000-0302
    (Onkyo never got back by the way)

input output assign 
    Monitor out - main
    Resolution - through
    Component video input - everything blank
    Digital Audio input - everything blank

Hardware setup

hdmi - hdmi cec(rihd) off
    hdmi through - aux

Then I set sound out in playback devices to the amp - Sound and vision!!!!

TR7STD3l.jpg
    Well done! Fair play to you for the perserverence - I'll get onto our Onkyo rep about the lack of response - not good enough!:mad:

Keep us posted and sorry we were not much assistance on this one..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.