Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Pool fans: Do you want Liverpool to win with the League this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

efb wrote: »
    So why post???

I have no strong feelings but feel the need to have this represented

Before I regulared Boards, I visited another forum. And over there, the Liverpool fans were just hugely obnoxious. Constantly referred to Man United as "scum", constantly declaring themselves as "the moral champions". Think they built up this feeling inside which carries on.

Gerrard probably deserves a title win. And while I don't like Suarez the person, Suarez the footballer probably deserves a title win as well, especially based on this year.

But I just know that there's a sub-section of the fans who will be utterly intolerable about it for years to come....

EDIT: Also, I can guess that a massive amount of "Yes" votes will be Liverpool fans themselves trying to sway the voting...not that it's working yet...
    Well put, my thoughts exactly. Especially this;

But I just know that there's a sub-section of the fans who will be utterly intolerable about it for years to come....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

nullzero wrote: »
    Have to laugh at that. Liverpool have spent less than only city and Chelsea in the transfer market in the premier league era. The notion of 'doing things properly' is laughable.

As for answering the OP; hell no.

Net spend man. Net spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Lumbo wrote: »
    Why would I want any other team then my own to win the title?

One reason could be that your team are not in a position to win the league, and you dont want to see the league being bought by the financial muscle of oil rich sheiks and oligarchs.
    You may, on the other hand, have just a passing interest in the premiership and the fact that your team are not in contention leaves you absolutely cold on the topic of the eventual winner.. in which case you would not bother responding to that exact topic when you come across it by accident on an internet football forum.

EDIT: Also, I can guess that a massive amount of "Yes" votes will be Liverpool fans themselves trying to sway the voting...not that it's working yet...

Yeah, cause everybody else is "neutral".

Vote early and vote often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

niallo27 wrote: »
    Net spend man. Net spend.

How does net spend justify it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No problems here.
    They've probably played the best football tbf to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It Kinda does to be fair, I mean if your shipping off 3 players for 30 million and buying another 3 for 30 million then it's hardly buying the league. It's buying smarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wouldn't mind Liverpool winning the league if it wasn't for the fans and the abuse they are preparing to dish out if it happens

So Chelsea for me, at least Mourinho will shut up after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good thread this!!

I have no strong feelings but feel the need to justify net spend

It Kinda does to be fair, I mean if your shipping off 3 players for 30 million and buying another 3 for 30 million then it's hardly buying the league. It's buying smarter.

But you are buying a lot of players, how does then selling them on make it ok???

But you are buying a lot of players, how does then selling them on ale it ok???

Shall we spell it out in fridge magnets for you?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good thread this!!

Educational.

ush wrote: »
    Shall we spell it out in fridge magnets for you?

Spell it out anyway you want but buying a lot of high value players to win the league is buying the league regardless of whether other players or flops are sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

As a United fan - no - I hate them......

As a football fan - yes - I want to see a team who plays good football win the league and not negative chelsea.

So I want them both to win it and lose it, Make it happen liverpool. Do what I ask of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good thread this!!

Not enough bitterness yet,for my liking.

I'm sure it'll come tho...

The trolls arrive later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not enough bitterness yet,for my liking.

I'm sure it'll come tho...

They still have a few outs. Win tomorrow and the fear will become tangible

Spell it out anyway you want but buying a lot of high value players to win the league is buying the league regardless of whether other players or flops are sold

Grand so. Fridge magnets it is.

But do they have to be non-pool supporting magnets?

Cos right now mine spell "w-e-r-e-g-o-n-n-a-w-i-n-t-h-e-l-e-a-g-u-e".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The "buying" of the league is being discussed.
    The more money you spend money on something, the more you "buy it".
    The figures below outline the amount of "buying" done by all the clubs, and break it down to a average yearly figure for net spend over the last 5 years.
    Man City and Chelski's spending over the last 5 years is clearly indicative of a concerted effort to "buy" success.

Questions still?

last-5-years-transfers.jpg?w=600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

The team deserve to win it and I'm a big fan of Rodgers (mainly for what he did with Swansea) so I'd be absolutely delighted if he won the league.

Being a sensible United or Liverpool fan is a pain sometimes. With such a large following, you're going to have more asshole fans than the other clubs. And the asshole fans are the worst. Revelling in the other team's shortcomings no matter how miniscule, using the tragedies as a source of one-upmanship, constantly baiting each other, etc.

I don't post here often but I look in the match threads and see some of the most ignorant of opinons coming from both sets of fans - this season it seems to be one or two united fans who are just making the rest of us look like twats. All it takes is one or two idiots to make a set of supporters look like assholes. Sadly this has happened with United and Liverpool. I wish people could see past the asshole fans and appreciate what the Liverpool team are doing this year.

So all in all, as a sensible United fan with no grudges, I'd like to see Liverpool win the league

garra wrote: »
    The figures below outline the amount of "buying" done by all the clubs, and break it down to a average yearly figure for net spend over the last 5 years.
    Man City and Chelski's spending over the last 5 years is clearly indicative of a concerted effort to "buy" success.

Questions still?

Liverpool are the 3rd highest, wtf were stoke at??

Liverpool are the 3rd highest, wtf were stoke at??

Stoke were trying to be the league. Read your own posts for god sake.

PS

Liverpool are 5th on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone but Chelsea

They were trying to be the league. Read your own posts for god sake.

Be?? Snippy much?

Be?? Snippy much?

I have no strong feelings but feel the need to be snippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

garra wrote: »

Questions still?

That list is wrong as well

Liverpool's average is around 23 million I think so they would go 4th

I have no strong feelings but feel the need to be snippy

That jolt joy old quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Surprisingly, I don't know of one neutral PL football fan who wants them to win. I thought that a break from the norm would be good for most people. Let's be honest, they won't get a sniff once JM gets a decent striker in at Chelsea or Aguero plays for a full season at City. The cards have fallen perfectly for them this season on the pitch and the fact that they have had no distractions from Europe was a major plus.

As I said in the Liverpool v Spurs match thread, the PL was won that day in my mind. The only two issues I have with LFC are the massive love in that the media has with them; they can do no wrong in their eyes and secondly, Suarez who is without doubt the biggest cheat I have ever seen in British football.

As I said to a LFC mate of mine, I predicted that this season will be a success but be prepared for a big crash next season. The addition of CL football will hit them very hard. I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the knockout stages of the PL but fail to get top four next year. That squad is pretty poor overall.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    Surprisingly, I don't know of one neutral PL football fan who wants them to win.

Just how many neutral PL football fans are there. And if you actively don't want Liverpool to win, can you claim to be neutral?

Just how many neutral PL football fans are there. And if you actively don't want Liverpool to win, can you claim to be neutral?

Plenty, I do not support any PL team but I am a fan of the PL. I watch the games every week. I am neutral. I know plenty of fans of championship, Irish and Scottish teams who fall into the same category as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Daft argument. Would Liverpool have bought Carroll had they not sold Torres? Would spurs have spent what thy did last season had they not sold Bale?

Spending is intrinsically linked to income. Without the money Liverpool, or most other clubs have received from selling, they wouldn't have been able to spend what they have done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

nullzero wrote: »
    Have to laugh at that. Liverpool have spent less than only city and Chelsea in the transfer market in the premier league era. The notion of 'doing things properly' is laughable.

As for answering the OP; hell no.

Yes but they did it with there own money not by some sugar daddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Surprisingly, I don't know of one neutral PL football fan who wants them to win. I thought that a break from the norm would be good for most people. Let's be honest, they won't get a sniff once JM gets a decent striker in at Chelsea or Aguero plays for a full season at City. The cards have fallen perfectly for them this season on the pitch and the fact that they have had no distractions from Europe was a major plus.

Yeah complete fluke that they are top at the moment. I expect a relegation battle next season.

Yeah complete fluke that they are top at the moment. I expect a relegation battle next season.

I doubt that now. They'll be 5th or 6th with Everton again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seem to in the minority here, but I'd love to see them win it. First time in Fecking ages there'd be a surprise winner of the EPL and to do it in such cavalier attacking style. God knows nobody would enjoy it more.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I doubt that now. They'll be 5 or 6 with Everton again.

Nah. Relegation definitely. Terrible squad. Flukey wins. No Europe. No Chelsea strikers. No Aguero. Lucky. Very very lucky.

Plenty, I do not support any PL team but I am a fan of the PL. I watch the games every week.

Nah, I'm sceptical. Its like watching Game of Thrones. Everybody watching is cheering for someone. And Liverpool are that doll with the dragons.

And don't give me any of that Celtic or LoI guff about not having an premiership team. Same goes for supporters of Forest, Leeds Utd, Coventry, Wolves or whoever.

If you're watching it you want somebody to win. We all seek a narrative or pattern.

• Advertisement

I doubt that now. They'll be 5th or 6th with Everton again.

Or 7th or 8th with Man Utd.

And don't give me any of that Celtic or LoI guff about not having an premiership team. Same goes for supporters of Forest, Leeds Utd, Coventry, Wolves or whoever.

I am Rangers fan, I hold an equal amount of love for all English teams, i.e. none.:D
    Or 7th or 8th with Man Utd.

Ah god no, things won't be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I am Rangers fan, I hold an equal amount of love for all English teams, i.e. none.:D

Don't tell me the blues brothers are no more?

So you're a Chelsea fan then. :)

Yeah, you don't have a horse in this race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

anncoates wrote: »
    Irish "scousers" are probably the most irritating of the Irish EPL supporters so no way.
    Manchester United fans were just like them in the late seventies and all through the eighties. Big clubs not winning titles for a long time does this to their fans.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Manchester United fans were just like them in the late seventies and all through the eighties. Big clubs not winning titles for a long time does this to their fans.

Yeah, you just have to look at the posts from back then.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Amusing thread. Pity the vote wasn't public though.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Don't tell me the blues brothers are no more?

Not so much anymore with Chelsea. It was never a biggy for me anyway. I would have far more time for Linfield.

You must be a Rangers fan yourself, given your obviously loyalty to LFC, i.e. a club with an OO founder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

5starpool wrote: »
    Amusing thread. Pity the vote wasn't public though.

Honestly don't see the point in hiding poll results on the soccer forum. It's far too tribal to expect non-partisan voting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

anncoates wrote: »
    Irish "scousers" are probably the most irritating of the Irish EPL supporters so no way.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Less of the Chelski crap please. If you're going to debate it, debate like an adult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement