Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Pool fans: Do you want Liverpool to win with the League this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I think from a sporting point of view, Liverpool winning it is a good thing, much as it would be were it Arsenal, Spurs or Everton.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd prefer to see United win the thing than either Chelsea or City on the basis that anyone could do what City or Chelsea did if they had the money, but the way Wenger assembled his successful sides or Ferguson built United into what they are, were achievements up there with the best. Much as Clough brought Forest from nowhere to the European Cup, its nice to think that talent, ability and luck can still triumph over unlimited financing

Hahaha!! Liverpool have spent just as much as Chelsea and Man city over the last 5 years, and United have probably spent the most in epl history

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Would it be wrong to bring FFP into the debate, and the merits of a team doing it within their means?

Or does good oul rivalry trump whatever concerns, or past grievness others may have had or expressed about oil rich owners 'buying the title' ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I would not like to see them win the league, due to a few factors such as:

- Being one the the biggest supported clubs in Ireland, it makes them bigger rivals then the British geological rivals

Can't stand those lads with their bloody rocks. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

duckman!! wrote: »
    Hahaha!! Liverpool have spent just as much as Chelsea and Man city over the last 5 years, and United have probably spent the most in epl history

Way to miss the point.

Chelsea and City hit the jackpot, could have happened any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It would take a lot of the enjoyment out of if utd and arsenal fans actually wanted liverpool to win it. Hate means your doing something right. I think a lot of people actually feeling sorry for Moyes and utd was their lowest point of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

COYW wrote: »

You must be a Rangers fan yourself, given you obviously loyalty to LFC, i.e. a club with an OO founder.

Absolutely not, I'm Irish and never understood the concept of turkey's voting for Xmas

Times have moved on, I don't think in the modern era political allegiances have any relevance to football in Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

niallo27 wrote: »
    It would take a lot of the enjoyment out of if utd and arsenal fans actually wanted liverpool to win it. Hate means your doing something right. I think a lot of people actually feeling sorry for Moyes and utd was their lowest point of the season.

I hope they win now, can somebody change my vote, just to take the enjoyment out of it for niallo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

United fan here and would love to see Liverpool win it. I never had any interest in seeing Liverpool down the table, I would have liked to see a good aul war between the 2 clubs over a prolonged period. Maybe next year ;).

Good to see a team come from relatively nowhere to challenge the big spenders.

duckman!! wrote: »

Liverpool haven't spent anything close to what City or Chelsea have. Selling the likes of Alonso, Masch, Torres, Carroll etc has also brought in a significant amount which has facilitated what has been spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Times have moved on, I don't think in the modern era political allegiances have any relevance to football in Liverpool.

You have got to be kidding me, right? I leave it at that on this thread. Wow, just wow. Enjoy the rest of the season and the title celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This will end well.

But no, they have the worst fans in any sport.

i vote no for this very same reason.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Liverpool haven't spent anything close to what City or Chelsea have. Selling the likes of Alonso, Masch, Torres, Carroll etc has also brought in a significant amount which has facilitated what has been spent

I am amazed that this even needs explaining tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ush wrote: »

And don't give me any of that Celtic or LoI guff about not having an premiership team. Same goes for supporters of Forest, Leeds Utd, Coventry, Wolves or whoever.

If you're watching it you want somebody to win. We all seek a narrative or pattern.

Ha guff? Are you having a laugh? I have my own team. Why would it be a necessity to have a PL team too? In my opinion, having more than one team is a bit strange but that's just me. I can however, enjoy football for football. Uruguay vs Argentina... Couldn't give a rats who wins but I'd still love to watch. Madrid vs Barca, again I've no favorite but it's always a great attraction. So you can be neutral absolutely. And as a neutral, I'm saying I wouldn't begrudge Liverpool winning the league at all. They've played great ball, the finest I've seen from them in my life anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The term Chelski is just like Manure or Liverpoo, they bother fans from those teams and are not allowed as per the forum charter. It has been used in more than one thread today so incase people aren't aware it's unnecesary and best left out if you want to avoid moderation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

. No Europe.

Well if you're gonna mention it, it probably has played a part..
    Simply as they've played less games..

COYW wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding me, right? I leave it at that on this thread. Wow, just wow. Enjoy the rest of the season and the title celebrations.

In the likes of Liverpool & Manchester, absolutely. Other cities differ obviously, but certainly with Liverpool/Everton or City/United there's not exactly a left wing/right wing separation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

For purely footballing reasons, i.e. what happens on the pitch, it would be refreshing to see the most entertaining team win it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Funnily enough I have been asking myself this exact question for the past week, and have surprised myself with my conclusion.

Firstly I am a United Season Ticket holder (and have been for 30+ years). During those 26 years of failing to win the league I detested everything Liverpool achieved, except perhaps the 1971 FA Cup Final when I really wanted the team containing the likes of Steve Heighway and Ian Callaghan to win (even though Arsenal actually ended up taking the Cup)

After that though their success grated. When I started attending OT in 1979 there was a clear "rivalry" between United and Liverpool that in the eyes of many ultimately turned into a hatred. However I never hated the club, just their success.

Of course, since '93 fortunes have definitely switched. Now I am starting to look at things a bit differently. In my view there are 2 truly great English teams of the "modern era" - United and Liverpool. I personally think each club's fans should be rightly incredibly proud of their achievements. I don't want to put either club ahead of the other in terms of those achievements.

Now here's the crunch. How long is it since Liverpool won the league title - 24 years - they are in danger of beating United's "record":pac:. United are not in it this season. Liverpool (and their fans) are very long overdue a league title. Hence my conclusion is yes - I would actually like to see Liverpool win it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

United fan, if Liverpool are crowned champions they will have earned it. Rodgers has done a great job and is very level headed and should take the manager of the year. Suarez has been excellent even missing 5 games, I never thought he would have the season he has had after all the talk last summer. Roll on next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Beasty wrote: »
    Funnily enough I have been asking myself this exact question for the past week, and have surprised myself with my conclusion.

Firstly I am a United Season Ticket holder (and have been for 30+ years). During those 26 years of failing to win the league I detested everything Liverpool achieved, except perhaps the 1971 FA Cup Final when I really wanted the team containing the likes of Steve Heighway and Ian Callaghan to win (even though Arsenal actually ended up taking the Cup)

After that though their success grated. When I started attending OT in 1979 there was a clear "rivalry" between United and Liverpool that in the eyes of many ultimately turned into a hatred. However I never hated the club, just their success.

Of course, since '93 fortunes have definitely switched. Now I am starting to look at things a bit differently. In my view there are 2 truly great English teams of the "modern era" - United and Liverpool. I personally think each club's fans should be rightly incredibly proud of their achievements. I don't want to put either club ahead of the other in terms of those achievements.

Now here's the crunch. How long is it since Liverpool won the league title - 24 years - they are in danger of beating United's "record":pac:. United are not in it this season. Liverpool (and their fans) are very long overdue a league title. Hence my conclusion is yes - I would actually like to see Liverpool win it this year.

Did you and Mike65 have a back and forth discussion about Liverpool and United by carrier pigeon back in the 50s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Absolutely not, I'm Irish and never understood the concept of turkey's voting for Xmas

So you can't be Irish and a Rangers supporter?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why would it be a necessity to have a PL team too?

If you're watching it, you've a team in it. You're no better than the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Find the few Man Utd supporters stating they don't want Liverpool to win the league because the fans will celebrate it and gloat amusing. LFC fans have every right to gloat considering where the club has been for the past four years and what Utd fans especially have been like for the guts of last twenty years.

Fair enough, I wouldn't expect Utd fans to favour Liverpool in a title race but they don't seem to clock the hypocrisy.

Not wanting LFC to win the PL is equivalent to not wanting Atleti to win La Liga ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Can't really understand non rival supporters not willing it. A club that was languishing in mid table coming out of the blue and challenging the sugardaddies. It's fairytale stuff.

And if that's not enough just imagine the head on Mourinho if he's pipped to the title.

/biased sap

Fair enough, I wouldn't expect Utd fans to favour Liverpool in a title race but they don't seem to clock the hypocrisy.

Unitied fans in hypocrisy shocker!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're watching it, you've a team in it. You're no better than the rest of us.

I don't have a team in the world cup and I'll be watching it.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't have a team in the world cup and I'll be watching it.

Good for you. I won't be.

So you can't be Irish and a Rangers supporter?

I didn't say couldn't, just that I find it irrational. Rangers, up until the late 80's/early 90's had policies excluding most Irish people from the club. I couldn't support a club that discriminated against Irish immigrants for so long, hence the turkey/Xmas remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find it funny that those complaining that Liverpool fans will be unbearable if they win it are the very ones that Liverpool fans have found unbearable for the last 20 years.

Do Utd fans think they have not gloated in the last 20 years?

Do they know that lots of Utd supporters appeared out of the woodwork when they came into real league contention in 92/93 after 26 barren years.

Either way a league is never ever fluked and always deserved.

Utd have earned every Premier league title they won as much as I didn't enjoy it I do respect them for it.
    Same applies to Liverpool this season if they win it then they are undoubtedly the best team over 38 games and will have deserved their win.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good for you. I won't be.

Wait so you accept it is possible to watch a sports competition without having an allegiance to a single competitor?

I didn't say couldn't, just that I find it irrational. Rangers, up until the late 80's/early 90's had policies excluding most Irish people from the club. I couldn't support a club that discriminated against Irish immigrants for so long, hence the turkey/Xmas remark

I find your exclusive definition of Irish irrational.

• Advertisement

Wait so you accept it is possible to watch a sports competition without having an allegiance to a single competitor?

Just said I won't be watching the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't support any British team, so as a proper neutral I'd love to see Liverpool win the league this year. Alan Hansen would almost put me off, and I really really dislike Steven Gerrard, but other than that, they've been the most interesting and entertaining team to watch this season.

Just said I won't be watching the World Cup.

So you don't think I'll be physically able to watch it without supporting a particular team then? Just want to clarify this.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't support any British team, so as a proper neutral I'd love to see Liverpool win the league this year.

At last! A proper neutral who'd love to see Liverpool win.

Kind of like a proper vegetarian, who likes fish and chicken.

So you don't think I'll be physically able to watch it without supporting a particular team then? Just want to clarify this.

I can watch the wall opposite me without having any opinion on it.

I find your exclusive definition of Irish irrational.

I never defined "Irish". My point was simply that I couldn't support a club that employed such discriminatory policies. That's my view, which certainly isn't to say that others can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I completely accept any Man United fan saying "fk that, no thanks"... but this "the fans are this and that" is nonsense. Yeah, a lot of Liverpool fans might act bitter, but they didn't get it from nowhere.

Absolute tripe. So if I watch the African Cup of Nations I've a team in that? Cop on. And never said I was better than anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For certain people who've got their jollies lolling at Liverpool during the Prem era though it WILL be unbearable though. I get it - it's a statement of fact. They'll have no play ('oh but they weren't in Europe' is obv lol). The sword of a long overdue and terrible justice dangles tantalisingly close over their heads. They can taste its awfulness.

Absolute tripe. So if I watch the African Cup of Nations I've a team in that? Cop on. And never said I was better than anyone.

You'd only be killing time watching the African Cup of Nations. This thread is about the EPL.

• Advertisement

I never defined "Irish". My point was simply that I couldn't support a club that employed such discriminatory policies. That's my view, which certainly isn't to say that others can't

I suspect you're being a tiny bit disingenuous. :P

You'd only be killing time watching the African Cup of Nations. This thread is about the EPL.

You seem to think that you can only watch EPL (or anything else, by the same token) if you have a team in it. Am I not allowed to watch the Champions League now?

You seem to think that you can only watch EPL (or anything else, by the same token) if you have a team in it. Am I not allowed to watch the Champions League now?

I'm saying there's no such thing as watching football, for sustained periods of time, and not forming prejudices on teams. There's no such thing as an absolute neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm saying there's no such thing as watching football, for sustained periods of time, and not forming prejudices on teams. There's no such thing as an absolute neutral.

I dunno, I'd say there is.

I actually can't get over this statement. If Dortmund are playing Atletico Madrid in the Champions League Group Stages im sure as hell gonna watch. Two good footballing sides. But yet I'll have no preference as to who wins. I'm sure it's the same across Europe. So having to 'have' a team on a competition is just ridiculous. Plenty of people just enjoy the game for the game if their own team is isn't involved. That's the case with me and the Premier League. Love it. But have no allegiance to any team in it. So Liverpool winning wouldn't bother me for that reason and also for the reason they've played the game in an exciting way that the neutral ie me can enjoy.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I dunno, I'd say there is.

Really, like weird beards who spout on about formations. There are no neutrals when it comes to a club like Liverpool or a league like EPL. Its just posturing or self-delusion claiming otherwise.

No can't stand them or their fans

Really, like weird beards who spout on about formations. There are no neutrals when it comes to a club like Liverpool or a league like EPL. Its just posturing or self-delusion claiming otherwise.

Weird? I find it weird that I follow a team in my own country yet am called weird for not following one in another. Not a potshot at any EPL fans btw, as I love watching myself. But that arrogance and delusion really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I can watch the wall opposite me without having any opinion on it.

Yeah so it's quite possible to watch the premier league without supporting any of the teams?

If you'd correct your erroneous statement and move on that'd be great.

• Advertisement

But have no allegiance to any team in it.

You'll still have prejudices and opinions. I'll stick by my previous statement that there's no such thing as a neutral, if they're watching a competition for sustained periods.

Advertisement