Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Pool fans: Do you want Liverpool to win with the League this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In order for this rivalry of Irish people with zero affiliation to Manchester versus Irish people with zero affiliation to Liverpool to continue it would require a Liverpool title win.

Liverpool play very enjoyable football, their matches are always interesting (sup United-Chelsea this year which was the worst game ever played) and their fans haven't been that annoying because they didn't see this coming at all. Everybody seems to forget what a horrible person Suarez is because he is THAT good at the football. Sturridge is a great player and it's nice to see Henderson make all his critics look like the tits they are. Nearly every starting 11 player has had something to prove and have done so.

City and Chelsea don't deserve it and Mourinho isn't even entertaining anymore. Just a jaded shadow of himself. Badly needs to start gouging people again.

Gerrard deserves it most of all. Didn't really think that until this year where he had to change his playing style and if you can't admire a man for telling Geoff Shreeves to politely **** off then you shouldn't be watching soccer.

If you can be title contenders with Martin Skrtel in defence you deserve the title.

I'm a neutral BTW. Don't really have any connection to any English side.

Now, that's actually a brilliant post. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have voted for Pool to win, I've stated it, but they do appear to be getting the decisions now. Like United appeared to be getting them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

bad2dabone wrote: »
    F**k it i'm on the bandwagon, c'mon Pool :)

Saps, pandas, jinxing stuff, prefacing with the and multiple rarnes should be enough to get you up to speed. Welcome abroad your card is in the mail and you can now get private screenings to all transformers, anchorman and fr ted stuff in all cinemas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Hear say.

But continue.

He was definitely in the notion of leaving the club he "loved".

As for the supposed death threats from Chelsea fans, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Welcome abroad

How far do you think it is from London to Liverpool?! :pac:

Liamalone wrote: »
    Everybody blathering on about Stevie of the G deserving a title because of his loyalty, is this the same Stevie G that was for going to Chelsea years ago until he received death threats from the fans?

It is indeed the very same chap. Very observant of your Holmes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Saps, pandas, jinxing stuff, prefacing with the and multiple rarnes should be enough to get you up to speed. Welcome abroad your card is in the mail and you can now get private screenings to all transformers, anchorman and fr ted stuff in all cinemas.

Standards have gone to sh*t.

Grayditch wrote: »
    How far do you think it is from London to Liverpool?! :pac:

Well it is the north of England. Basically is abroad for those hardy southerners.

mp_miner.jpg

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Standards have gone to sh*t.

We need cannon fodder can't have essentials like Augeroo and Irvine getting taken out.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liamalone wrote: »
    Everybody blathering on about Stevie of the G deserving a title because of his loyalty, is this the same Stevie G that was for going to Chelsea years ago until he received death threats from the fans?

Yes, that's the reason he didn't go.

Well done to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Liam O wrote: »
    A 20% difference and suddenly Liverpool shoot up your little league table to 3rd. Hardly outrageous to expect you not to say it's a great achievement for Liverpool based on that. I'm not saying Rodgers hasn't done brilliantly with what's available but Liverpool have hugely underachieved for a long time now based on money spent so using that chart, especially when you know the figures are I think it was 30m off after you looked into just Liverpool sales is just silly imo.

Dude, seriously I am getting embarrassed for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dude, seriously I am getting embarrassed for you

Good stuff. Another useless post that doesn't disprove what I said. What's that about embarrassing?

You know well that the net spend is the important factor in trying to "buy" the league and are throwing as much mud hoping to cloud that figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No because its the one thing us arsenal fans have left over them , That being them having never have lifted the Premier League title

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No because its the one thing us arsenal fans have left over them , That being them having never have lifted the Premier League title

*cough* Champions League *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Champions League ?? Thats one thing they have over us not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Do I want Liverpool to win the league? hell no

Do they deserve to win the league? hell yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You know well that the net spend is the important factor in trying to "buy" the league and are throwing as much mud hoping to cloud that figure

Because the figure is false at a basic level and also doesn't take into account signing and agent fees and therefore the table is misleading. Pretty easy to understand. Even that table that would have people believe Stoke have spent more than Liverpool shows that Liverpool have underperformed in the last 5 years based on net, gross and everything else. That's before you look at the total figures which are off.

I'm not saying that Liverpool bought the league because a lot of that money is stupid Dalglish signings that Rodgers had to undo but there is still significant enough investment, more than Arsenal have seen and yet they maintained top 4. I'm sure Rodgers will do well enough this Summer in the market but tables like that do my head in as it's trying to justify a huge waste of money.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Champions League ?? Thats one thing they have over us not the other way around

Yeah I read your post wrong. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Liam O wrote: »
    Because the figure is false at a basic level and also doesn't take into account signing and agent fees and therefore the table is misleading. Pretty easy to understand. Even that table that would have people believe Stoke have spent more than Liverpool shows that Liverpool have underperformed in the last 5 years based on net, gross and everything else. That's before you look at the total figures which are off.

I'm not saying that Liverpool bought the league because a lot of that money is stupid Dalglish signings that Rodgers had to undo but there is still significant enough investment, more than Arsenal have seen and yet they maintained top 4. I'm sure Rodgers will do well enough this Summer in the market but tables like that do my head in as it's trying to justify a huge waste of money.

Getting a sense of deja vu here, it doesn't seem to be sinking in to you that its not the veracity of the figures that is startling, it is the multiple spending power of chelsea & city over the other teams. I'm not sure I can express this in any other format to get the point across so will give up here.

Re bolded part - Liverpool have indeed under-performed over the last 5 years in relation to net spend, not sure what relevance that has to a neutrals favorite this year.. perhaps it enhances the appeal of LFC as the classic underdogs in terms of form (7th last season etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

“One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; they will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new Premiership overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a regular boards poster, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.”

More of that should have been said in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Danubio are going to walk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I wouldn't mind that If they if only they weren't the worst winners in the world, how many "premier league 14 ynwa " tattooes shall we see...in fairness someone may point out how stupid it seems for me to have a superhero tattoo but in that seemed like a more realistic option at the time....

Also when a Liverpool fan rights YNWA at the end of their fb posts, it makes then look like they are signing off their post with a Native American name....now run young YNWA and run with the wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

As I Liverpool I delight in nearly all of this.

Please continue...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

But I just know that there's a sub-section of the fans who will be utterly intolerable about it for years to come..

Pretty much every man u fan i know for the last 20 years :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind that If they if only they weren't the worst winners in the world, how many "premier league 14 ynwa " tattooes shall we see...in fairness someone may point out how stupid it seems for me to have a superhero tattoo but in that seemed like a more realistic option at the time....

Also when a Liverpool fan rights YNWA at the end of their fb posts, it makes then look like they are signing off their post with a Native American name....now run young YNWA and run with the wind

holy jaysus this one has it bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

One good thing about Liverpool winning it is that it might cause a rethink about the sort of squad you should have if you want to win the Premier League. If you look at the teams that have won it over the last ten years there was a lot of United wins with plenty of homegrown players in the team. Liverpool have six English players amongst their eleven most capped players this season and three of them came through their youth system.

Last year United had two youth players who came through and three other homegrown players on their team of their eleven most capped, two years before they had six and its been pretty much a part of their success all through the Ferguson years.

Chelsea have won with less homegrown talent, normally four, and with only one of their own(John Terry) and City had four the year they won it from their eleven most capped players that season. Both these teams have a lesser amount of regular starting homegrown talent right now.

For me its great to see teams with more homegrown talent winning the Premier League. It might make the football heads think a bit differently and maybe there is a chance we might see more young Irish players getting opportunities as a result. The influx of foreign talent has certainly affected us and all of the UK national teams pretty badly over the last ten years I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would have hated Liverpool to win it years ago when Rafa was there and the Pool/United stuff was really stoked up to big levels.

I'm not bothered by the idea of them winning it this year for the simple reason that they genuinely, no doubt about it, deserve to do it. They have played the best football, conducted themselves well unlike the sour grapes excuses from their rivals, and with the connection to Hillsborough it would be a fine tribute.

The crowing from Liverpool fans will be difficult to put up with of course, but if they win the title no one can begrudge them the honour as they merit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

I would have hated Liverpool to win it years ago when Rafa was there and the Pool/United stuff was really stoked up to big levels.

I'm not bothered by the idea of them winning it this year for the simple reason that they genuinely, no doubt about it, deserve to do it. They have played the best football, conducted themselves well unlike the sour grapes excuses from their rivals, and with the connection to Hillsborough it would be a fine tribute.

The crowing from Liverpool fans will be difficult to put up with of course, but if they win the title no one can begrudge them the honour as they merit it.

You truly are Mr nice guy. Fair play

eagle eye wrote: »
    One good thing about Liverpool winning it is that it might cause a rethink about the sort of squad you should have if you want to win the Premier League. If you look at the teams that have won it over the last ten years there was a lot of United wins with plenty of homegrown players in the team. Liverpool have six English players amongst their eleven most capped players this season and three of them came through their youth system. <br />
    <br />
    Last year United had two youth players who came through and three other homegrown players on their team of their eleven most capped, two years before they had six and its been pretty much a part of their success all through the Ferguson years. <br />
    <br />
    Chelsea have won with less homegrown talent, normally four, and with only one of their own(John Terry) and City had four the year they won it from their eleven most capped players that season. Both these teams have a lesser amount of regular starting homegrown talent right now. <br />
    <br />
    For me its great to see teams with more homegrown talent winning the Premier League. It might make the football heads think a bit differently and maybe there is a chance we might see more young Irish players getting opportunities as a result. The influx of foreign talent has certainly affected us and all of the UK national teams pretty badly over the last ten years I think.
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you go on about them looking for home grown talent then state that you hope irish players get a look in. Let's be totally honest here, regardless of allegiance, the EPL is a foreign league and irish people playing there are as foreign, to that league, as any south american, italian, belgian etc.

• Advertisement

oh and if Liverpool manage to win it, with that defense???
    They damn well deserve it

why is the html showing up in my post?

I thought you were just feeling the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    you go on about them looking for home grown talent then state that you hope irish players get a look in. Let's be totally honest here, regardless of allegiance, the EPL is a foreign league and irish people playing there are as foreign, to that league, as any south american, italian, belgian etc.

Nearly all Irish players in the league today qualify as homegrown under the UEFA rule, that's what he meant. It's to do with service time at youth level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

8-10 wrote: »
    Nearly all Irish players in the league today qualify as homegrown under the UEFA rule, that's what he meant. It's to do with service time at youth level.

It always was. Irish football fans always saw the Irish players as more homegrown in England than a Uruguayan or a Japanese player. Same as the Scots and the Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

MD1990 wrote: »
    i think all real football fans deep down will want Liverpool to win because of the great attacking style in which they play.

Bollox. From a common sense point of view, yes Liverpool should win it. But being a real football fan isn't about common sense. I f**king hate Liverpool. When I grew up they won everything and all my mates support them. I've a pain in my hole listening to them and their sense of entitlement. That didn't die in the 23 years since they last won the league. I'd rather anyone win the league because I have an irrational hatred of them.

Liverpool have been magnificent this season. A joy to watch. The fact they've done it without oil money is great. A real example for other clubs. But I f**king hate them and if City beat them to the title I'll raise a glass of champagne to the Arabs who made it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I am a Man Utd fan but I would like to see LFC winning especially as it's the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Yes, better than Chelsea or City IMO. Especially Chelsea, wouldn't want Jose to have his way.

- United fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Bollox. From a common sense point of view, yes Liverpool should win it. But being a real football fan isn't about common sense. I f**king hate Liverpool. When I grew up they won everything and all my mates support them. I've a pain in my hole listening to them and their sense of entitlement. That didn't die in the 23 years since they last won the league. I'd rather anyone win the league because I have an irrational hatred of them.

Liverpool have been magnificent this season. A joy to watch. The fact they've done it without oil money is great. A real example for other clubs. But I f**king hate them and if City beat them to the title I'll raise a glass of champagne to the Arabs who made it happen.

Hopefully your club's recent misery won't last too long, we wouldn't want that sense of entitlement creeping into the fanbase now would we? ;)

Hopefully your club's recent misery won't last too long, we wouldn't want that sense of entitlement creeping into the fanbase now would we? ;)

My club's misery has been lasting for the 30 years I've supported them and shows no signs of abating any time soon.

• Advertisement

I've a pain in my hole listening to them and their sense of entitlement. That didn't die in the 23 years since they last won the league.

Yeah, after the last few years of being told to just accept mediocrity, and not doing so to the annoyance of most people, things are going right, because Liverpool fans believe they deserve to be going right.

United will have a sense of entitlement, it comes with trophy cases full of trophies and time spent tearing your hear out as a fan after following a team that sets it's bar at a high level.

Such tripe being posted about entitlement.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, after the last few years of being told to just accept mediocrity, and not doing so to the annoyance of most people, things are going right, because Liverpool fans believe they deserve to be going right.

United will have a sense of entitlement, it comes with trophy cases full of trophies and time spent tearing your hear out as a fan after following a team that sets it's bar at a high level.

Such tripe being posted about entitlement.

Yeah fair point but when you hear about "we won 18 leagues and 5 Champions Leagues...blah, blah, blah" it gets a bit tiresome. Especially when you'd been flirting with mid-table as much as Champions League football for the last 5 years.

But hey ho, that's just my anti-Liverpool bias shining through. Rodgers has done a great job and you've been super to watch. I'm still entitled to hate Liverpool though and, as long as my ar$e looks south, I'll be doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

By X-mas I was hoping Arsenal might do it this year because the other options were too horrible to contemplate. Then they fell apart, as usual, and Chelsea were the next least worst option, but damned if they haven't imploded too. I'm resigned to Liverpool winning now but it is the worst case scenario and I envy Utd fans who don't remember what it was like pre-'92.

Yeah fair point but when you hear about "we won 18 leagues and 5 Champions Leagues...blah, blah, blah" it gets a bit tiresome. Especially when you'd been flirting with mid-table as much as Champions League football for the last 5 years.

Entitlement of fans got Roy Hodgson kicked out, and as ungracious as it looked, it worked out for the best for both parties. It has happened with Moyes, and I'm pretty sure it'll work out better for them.
    But hey ho, that's just my anti-Liverpool bias shining through. Rodgers has done a great job and you've been super to watch. I'm still entitled to hate Liverpool though and, as long as my ar$e looks south, I'll be doing just that.

Not gonna argue with how annoying it is to hear, I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think lady luck has certainly been on there side, No European football, Getting knocked out of the cups early while their rival's have played far more games. But they have a amazing forward line (Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge are amazing), a great captain in Gerrard playing well and Rodger's has got the best out of the average player's. Fair to them, some of their fan's on here will be a pain of course. But I wouldn't blame them.

But I seriously doubt if they win they will retain it next season, They need to strengthen that team massively to deal with Champion's League football, I think their midfield and defence needs working on. If they keep their strike force fit and knocking goals in, get top buys in for their midfield and defence. Make sure the squad is deep and not full of injuries they could retain.

But I see the top teams buying big during the summer

Man city, will throw the cash at any star at the world cup
    Chelsea, will get Costa from A Madrid and they be far stronger next season
    Arsenal, as a fan, I hope Wenger goes all out and buys but I won't put any money on it. If he does we will compete and he keeps the injuries down to key players.
    Man Utd, will throw the cash to buy new players at their new manager. Si expect them up there.
    Everton and Spures certainly will get stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think lady luck has certainly been on there side, No European football, Getting knocked out of the cups early while their rival's have played far more games. But they have a amazing forward line (Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge are amazing), a great captain in Gerrard playing well and Rodger's has got the best out of the average player's. Fair to them, some of their fan's on here will be a pain of course. But I wouldn't blame them.

But I seriously doubt if they win they will retain it next season, They need to strengthen that team massively to deal with Champion's League football, I think their midfield and defence needs working on. If they keep their strike force fit and knocking goals in, get top buys in for their midfield and defence. Make sure the squad is deep and not full of injuries they could retain.

But I see the top teams buying big during the summer

Man city, will throw the cash at any star at the world cup
    Chelsea, will get Costa from A Madrid and they be far stronger next season
    Arsenal, as a fan, I hope Wenger goes all out and buys but I won't put any money on it. If he does we will compete and he keeps the injuries down to key players.
    Man Utd, will throw the cash to buy new players at their new manager. Si expect them up there.
    Everton and Spures certainly will get stronger.
    I don't think there's any real reason to think Everton will get stronger. They'll have a tough time replacing Lukaku, Baines is getting older and they'll have a tough time hanging onto their best players.

I think Everton will probably be weaker next season.

Another to add to the list of having it bad, bless them.

Thought id leave this here
    A lot of posters in here this is you :p;)

Fear and Loathing outside Liverpool

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/04/fear-loathing-outside-liverpool/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This will end well.

But no, they have the worst fans in any sport.

Liverpool fans in Liverpool aren't half as bad as Irish Liverpool fans. Any Liverpool fan I work with or have met are very normal football fans, even most Everton fans I've talked to are happy enough to see them win the league, though around here as long as a Manchester club isn't winning the league they are happy.

For me, They have played the best football so they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Effectively this. Yes Ive laughed at the misfortune over the years, but nobody can begrudge them anything this season.

The form since January is crazy, been a pleasure to watch for a neutral.

So congrats and good luck, enjoy it all fans!

Advertisement